Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identify a top bow part?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identify a top bow part?
    Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 4:28pm
Came across a set of top bows and found this clip / clamp on the vertical door jamb rod.  I don't believe it to be 2A, but was hoping someone with a broader jeep experience may know it's application.  The majority of the rods and tubes in the set look 2A, but this is a ripple-

I've sent this to a couple folks, now, and it's been pointed out to me that the vertical rod itself may not be right as it doesn't have the horizontal offset at the tub foot that the ones I have now do have
Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by mbullism - 08 Aug. 2022 at 4:31pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 12:06pm
So a couple days and 84 views with no takers LOL... I don't feel foolish for not knowing then Wink  Thanks to all that checked in to look-

I'm just going to bring my 2A stuff along and compare piece for piece, and adjust from there.  These clamps will just have to remain a mystery for now.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 4:20pm
I was waiting myself to see opinions.  But, I'll guess it's home made and that double clamp probably secures the vertical rod to the horizontal rod.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2022 at 4:26pm
I think we’re looking at a home made vertical rod.
Notice how the base or foot is lightly tapered; unlike factory rods.
And the end is rounded (not square cut).
Plus it does not even have the proper curve shape just above the base.
I have hand made a set of vertical rods myself but that one is like omix adda quality.
Looks like it was formed without the use of heat.
I agree with Russ,  the added clamp would allow it to attach to the horizontal rod without a need for welding a proper connection onto the vertical rod.

Edited by oldtime - 10 Aug. 2022 at 4:37pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 7:05am
I hadn't considered that the vertical could be DIY, it was the existence of the clamp itself that I couldn't place.  The lack of offeset was pointed out to me after, and the DIY makes sense.  The horizontal(s) that would receive the vertical(s) looked 100% legit, including the welded tabs with the holes to receive the verticals.

The clamps look big enough to grab the main bow, but would be too far forward to reach.  The part that slips over the vertical does just that, loose fit that spins...no way to tighten.  It would slide right off so I don't see it securing to the horizontal Wacko

I'm going to compare to my originals, back check with Jpets PDFs, and if enough passes muster likely pick them up anyway and sort it out (or not) on a go forward-

Edited by mbullism - 11 Aug. 2022 at 7:07am
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 7:59am
Yeah right so your saying that horizontal rod has the proper connection on it. 
So I really don’t know the idea behind the extra clamp on the vertical but it may have had something to do with fastening the door ???

Edited by oldtime - 11 Aug. 2022 at 8:00am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 2:08pm
These mysteries are interesting.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2022 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Yeah right so your saying that horizontal rod has the proper connection on it. 

Yup

Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

... it may have had something to do with fastening the door ???

The doors appear to be proper later style with the handles on the door (the main bows are early with rivets).  Not sure how they would figure into fastening the door, unless them sliding up and down on the vertical allows the larger part to be used as a hook on the door diagonal...like a bubba lock(?)

The only other thought that popped into the vapors was that maybe they were used during bow storage somehow and had nothing to do with the top in the installed configuration.  Haven't been able to wrap my head fully around how though...

Edited by mbullism - 11 Aug. 2022 at 4:02pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2022 at 7:16am
So just following up with an apparent... "answer".  I made the trip last night after work, took some known 2A parts with me to compare piece for piece.  Upon arrival the seller had all the pieces assembled on his 2A.  The mystery bits were clamped on the windshield tubes, the small piece that in the photos above that were sliding up and down the jamb rods accepting the top hinge pin from the door frame.  Didn't think to snap a pic. and I'll be damned if I'll put them on MY paint to do so LOL

If they are home made they are very well done, and matching... never seen this though.

The door frames are early with the higher lower hinge pin (there IS a handle plate, but it looks added), the bows have rivets... is it possible these hinge clamps are legit (aftermarket?), and/or were replaced with the style that I'm familiar with?  For now I'm assuming well done home made-
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2022 at 10:17am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

So just following up with an apparent... "answer".  I made the trip last night after work, took some known 2A parts with me to compare piece for piece.  Upon arrival the seller had all the pieces assembled on his 2A.  The mystery bits were clamped on the windshield tubes, the small piece that in the photos above that were sliding up and down the jamb rods accepting the top hinge pin from the door frame.  Didn't think to snap a pic. and I'll be damned if I'll put them on MY paint to do so LOL

If they are home made they are very well done, and matching... never seen this though.

The door frames are early with the higher lower hinge pin (there IS a handle plate, but it looks added), the bows have rivets... is it possible these hinge clamps are legit (aftermarket?), and/or were replaced with the style that I'm familiar with?  For now I'm assuming well done home made-

After reviewing the drawings for 2a, 3a, and 3b, there is no mention of those pieces either "in addition to" or "released for production".......  I have a complete set of original cj5 bows here, that do not have the clamps.......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2022 at 11:04am
So, you're saying that is a home made vertical rod for the back of the door, and the ring was a jury rigged upper hinge for teh windshield?

Do you need the upper hing for your windshield, or do you already have it?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2022 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

So, you're saying that is a home made vertical rod for the back of the door, and the ring was a jury rigged upper hinge for the windshield?

My current understanding, yes... the seller had put one of the rings around his windshield tube and tightened it down.  It accepted the top door hinge quite well, but you can imagine what opening the heavy ring and squashing it back closed did to the paint Ermm

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Do you need the upper hinge for your windshield, or do you already have it?

I'm kind of filling in two complete sets at this point as the opportunities present themselves.  I believe that I have three of the 2pc clamps so two of those will get me installed.  

Not sure why picking up these bows with the rivets that will scratch up the side of the jeep makes me smile LOL

Edited by mbullism - 24 Aug. 2022 at 12:18pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2022 at 11:40am
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

After reviewing the drawings for 2a, 3a, and 3b, there is no mention of those pieces either "in addition to" or "released for production".......  I have a complete set of original cj5 bows here, that do not have the clamps.......
Thanks, Low- I have to believe they are just well done home grown for what they are, kind of like the jamb rods.  Those are pretty obviously home made when placed side by each to compare, and then put alongside a legit original-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2022 at 11:56am
Interesting.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply