Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with frame question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with frame question
    Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 7:12pm
After I wrecked my 48 cj2a with the early frame I needed a new frame to fix it up. I thought I had found a later newer cj2a frame so I cleaned painted and fixed any damaged areas. I'm tearing the jeep down today to transfer parts to the new frame and I see someone online posted that cj2a frame motor mounts are directly across from each other. And that cj2a engine mounts are a couple inches offset of each other.

Turns out the frame I'd already prepared and painted they are offset so I have the wrong frame Dead

If that's the only difference has anyone taken say the early cj2a driver side engine mount and welded it in the right spot to the cj3a frame? Making it straight across from each other like I need?

I suppose I could probably get a cj2a engine front mounting plate but I'd rather not also because I'd probably have the change the timing cover and change to timing chain style with more cost and more parts to change
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 8:21pm
Yes, I have, although it was a M-38 frame. The modification has held up for almost 45 of the 50 years I've owned Ol' Red. Placement is critical, take careful measurements.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2019 at 2:32am
One option is to take a heavy flat plate bolt one end to the frame mount and bolt the rubber mount to the other end bridging the gap with the plate. 
My Dad built one for my jeep. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2019 at 9:42pm
"I suppose I could probably get a cj2a engine front mounting plate but I'd rather not also because I'd probably have the change the timing cover and change to timing chain style with more cost and more parts to change"

First, the chain drive cam was used on the WW2 Jeeps, not on the CJ2A, CJ3A, nor M38 (military version of CJ3A).

Second, you can't just change a later engine with a gear drive cam, to use a chain drive cam. It is a different cam, and the rotation of the cam is in the opposite direction. The lubrication of the chain drive cam involves a different crankshaft with an oil passage not present on the CJ crankshaft, the oil pump drive worm gear is also cut in the opposite direction.

Third the good news is it is not difficult to resolve the issue. 

The forward facing motor mount foot on the CJ3A / M38 engine mounting plate was to allow room for a dual action fuel pump. It is an improvement which makes the wipers work better.

You can adapt your engine to this frame in various ways, a couple have already been mentioned, but in my opinion the best solution is to simply use the later engine mounting plate. 

I sent one to another forum member last Summer, which I pulled off of a WW2 engine to replace with the correct plate for that engine. They aren't hard to find, nor are they very expensive.

Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2019 at 9:57pm
Chain drive cam used in CJ2A until number 44417 according to people who keep lists(CJ-2A History).
Mike in AZ
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2019 at 10:00pm
Yes your right I had a typo I meant buy a cj3a plate which I already ordered and will use the frame as it is with cj3a mount plate
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2019 at 1:10pm
Yes, early CJ2As were built using left over stock from WW2 including chain drive cam engines, bodies with tool indents, and many other parts, but his is a late CJ2A and would have a gear drive cam.
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2019 at 12:51pm
Mine is a gear drive and serial number for the jeep is early in the 171 thousand 
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
 Post Reply Post Reply