Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with mystery 6v horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TN21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with mystery 6v horn
    Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 10:30pm
I am having trouble getting the horn to work that was on my Willys.  I don't think it is a Jeep horn, but not sure what it is.  Maybe a Delco Remy?  Cant find any markings inside or out.

When it is energized it seems to magnetize with a loud click.  But won't make any sound.  It almost seems like it wants to weld the wires to the battery posts.  Like something is possibly shorting out.  I can see any visible spark between the points, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.  

Can anyone help me with identifying this, or maybe somewhere to look for how to troubleshoot it?  And what to meter how.

Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 1:14pm
I'd say you're correct that it's a Delco Remy.  The museum I'm a volunteer with has several WWII GM trucks with that style of horn.  Even our '42 MB has one...We've got to fix that!Embarrassed
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 1:31pm
Search YouTube for "horn Repair".  You have to filter thru the swamp, but I found one vid that was really helpful on horn basics and how to troubleshoot.
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
 Post Reply Post Reply