Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here's a neat installation of a Willys Engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here's a neat installation of a Willys Engine
    Posted: 31 July 2019 at 3:24pm
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 2:50am
I have to wonder how difficult it was to put that engine in that tractor.  It appears to have been done well.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 3:02pm
Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like they used the front plate from the l134 for the front mount. The rear mount on the tractor would have been at the flywheel cover which was not used so I don’t have a clue how they pulled that off.   

Some picks of my F-14 to compare. It’s a ‘39 with overhead valves. Seems like a step back to me. 

Well done project that looks good. Now if it had an overdrive that would make it worthwhile. I think mine tops out at 4MPH. Loads of power but takes awhile to get to the job sight. 

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 12:35am
Originally posted by RSR_MK RSR_MK wrote:

It’s a ‘39 with overhead valves. Seems like a step back to me. 

Considering that aircraft engines in the 1920s had overhead valves/cams, 4 valves/cylinder, maybe even hemispherical combustion chambers, the fact that some automotive engines were still flatheads into the 1950s is a puzzle.

RSR_MK, what carburetor is on that F-14?
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 1:54am
I’ll have to look to be sure, my guess would be a zenith they were common in that era. Most were side draft, this is a down draft. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 2:10am
I'm just curious.  I like that fuel pump with the built-in filter on the side.  Very cool item.
Mhovey46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhovey46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 2:13am
That F-12 with the CJ-2A engine would be mine. The swap was done back when L-heads were plentiful,  I am thinking back in the 50s or 60s. It was very well done. The only thing I might change out is the intake manifold. Someone had installed a Henry J intake so the carb is 90 degrees off and the carb itself is a YF. 
Being the CJ2A guy I am, I will probably end up putting a normal 2A intake on there with a WO if I dont sell the tractor before I get a chance to do so. I picked up the tractor because it’s probably the closest thing I will ever get to an Empire tractor which has been on my wish list for quite some time. Its a fun machine I just dont have as much time to play with it as I used to.  

Edited by Mhovey46 - 05 Aug. 2019 at 2:15am
-Matt

RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 2:48am
I went out to be sure and it is a zenith. That old F 14 is solid, I have had to do very little to it. ( less than any jeep I have )I’m constantly amazed at the technology for the time on the old girl. The valves, the governor system, the fuel system are all ahead of its time. crank the wheel hard right or left and it will apply the same side brake through a cable system activated from the front end to assist with the turn. It’s a lot of fun. Won several tractor pulls too. 

Mhovey46

That’s a nice F-12 with a cool twist having the L 134 in it. I like it. 
Looks like it was well done. I bet it has a few ponies to spare. 

Mike
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 1:34pm
Both tractors are really nice.... I had a 1948 IHC KB3 for a long time, I have been in love with old corn binders since... It to had a Zenith with integral disc type fuel filter... Really nice guys! Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
 Post Reply Post Reply