Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Herm’s Ford Steering Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocahaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herm’s Ford Steering Conversion
    Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:05pm
Has anyone installed the Ford steering conversion from Herm into a stock CJ2A?  If so, were any unforeseen problems encountered?  Any input, suggestions, tips, tricks etc will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:54pm
If you are talking about the ford bronco reverse rotation steering box, I have used it. The arm was the only thing I was able to use. The bracketry was too weak for my application. out of necessity on the trail, the bracket is now welded to the frame so if I ever have to change out my steering box, I will need a grinder. I think, you would be better served to make your own.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:57pm
I  looked  into Herm's conversion and decided to go to  the front mount Saginaw manual steering conversion.

Advanced Adapter has a kit for both manual and P/S Sag. Expensive but guys say it works well.

URL below shows how I am doing the conversion.  Still have a lot to do yet.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
rocahaja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocahaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:11pm
Thanks for the info.  Actually, I asked too late as I already had the parts on order!  I’ll see how it all works out.  Thanks again.
Ron
catfish33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfish33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2022 at 8:08pm
What all comes in Herms conversion kit? Everything but the steering gear box?
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2022 at 9:02pm
Better follow up with Herm, he sometimes forgets the orders he has in the hopper.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Boomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 11:51am
i  will be putting in a ford reverse box in the next month or so. Ill post some pics when I get going on it. I just went to local wrecking yard and found a really tight low milage ford ranger for the box also bought a tilt steering colume with flat faced steering wheel and still have to get u joints and one peice tie rods ordered but need to set motor back in frame to make sure all clears.
 Post Reply Post Reply