Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, I'm Nothing Special!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 4:04am
Buy a CJ2A that is ready to roll and drive it. Don't buy a project. Done several both ways.

Ralph
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 4:16am
Hey Bob
Welcome and get ready to add one more project to your list.
You will find there is a great group of guys out here and if you
need any help they will do their best to answer your questions.
Believe me, since I ask a lot of questions!
Good luck and just have fun.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2018 at 11:58pm
I'll take another stab at loading pictures.  If this works there will be a few of my Bronco and some of the CJ5 and Model A I no longer have.

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 12:21am
Hey Bob, that is a nice old Bronco and CJ5!  I have had one of each too. Bronco was a ‘77 with a 302, automatic, and rust. CJ5 was a snowplow Jeep with even more rust. Finally I built a CJ3A with no rust. Welcome to the forum and I am looking forward to wheeling with you and your family!  Brian
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 12:43am
That is a purty Bronco. My friend who helped build a CJ7 with me has a '71 Bronco that I miss driving around in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 12:55am
The Bronco actually has quite a bit of rust.  Both rockers are pretty completely gone (lots of bondo from the previous owner, so they look pretty good).  And when I looked at repairing them I found a lot of rust in the A and B pillars.  My plan is to just let the rockers fall apart for a while and then maybe put a 'glass body on it.

Speaking of which, the CJ5 had absolutely no rust, at least after I replaced the swiss-cheese tub with a 'glass one!  The Model A actually had the best body of the three, almost no rust repair needed when I had it painted at about age 50 (the car's age, I was a lot younger then).

I sure hope I get a chance to 'wheel with some of you!  I've enjoyed doing it vicariously through your videos (jpet, Stan, JeepEvans) and it'd be even more fun to be there!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 1:41am
Now I feel old. That picture of your cj5 from 2003 looks like the pictures my dad used to show me from 1973. haha! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2018 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Now I feel old. That picture of your cj5 from 2003 looks like the pictures my dad used to show me from 1973. haha! 

You feel old???  1973 was about the time I started working on that Model A with my dad and you were only being shown pictures of it!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 4:39am
I'm not a huge Bronco fan, but I AM a fan of anything painted that shade of blue!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 5:48pm
That's Ford "Sonic Blue" (color code SN) from the mid 2000s.  I've seen it on a lot of Escapes, also Mustangs, Rangers and the rare SuperDuty.  It turned out to have more purple in it than I wanted, but it's grown on me.  If I ever get around to putting a 'glass body on it I'll repaint it the same color.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a build thread on my Bronco, here's a link to one on another forum.  It's far enough off-topic that I don't think I should repost it here, but it's over there if anyone wants to look.

Edited by Nothing Special - 08 Feb. 2018 at 6:57pm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 5:53pm

The first-generation Broncos have grown on me and values of restored-to-stock examples are zooming in value. I love the pic of yours on the rocky trail--Ford was decades ahead of CJ5/Wrangler in engineering a coil-spring front axle.

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 1:54am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

The first-generation Broncos have grown on me and values of restored-to-stock examples are zooming in value. I love the pic of yours on the rocky trail--Ford was decades ahead of CJ5/Wrangler in engineering a coil-spring front axle.

The tub on mine is plenty repairable, for someone who has bodyworking skills.  I just don't want to put the effort into learning how to do it so I can bang it against more rocks.  So I'm hoping that the "collectible" value that Broncos now have will let me get a little cash out of the old tub.  I sure don't expect to make money on a tub swap, but it'd be nice to offset some of the cost.

As to the front suspension, I'm not so sure I'd sing its praises too loudly.  It rides and handles better than most leaf spring suspensions, but off-road?  Look at the 2nd and 3rd pictures of it above.  In both the rear axle is stuffed pretty far on one side and the front axle is darn near parallel with the chassis.  Radius arms are not the hot ticket for flex!  Not sure if I'll ever do anything about it, but there's sure room for improvement.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 5:04am
Bob ........... if you keep Lurking ..... you're Done-in.

Ha, I went lurking in February and did take cash with me (just in case), and the Willys had a tow-bar !

Yep, now I have some new "Yard-art" being a '46 CJ2A.

But, I was a chevy man ( and Jeep ), and after 30-years of the In-Laws influence I changed over to Ford and Jeep.    hahaha

Here is a shot of my last Frame-Off resto of what began as a "Wood-cutting" build, a '77 Ford Crew-Cab F-250.   To obtain a very-needed rear-door, I had to purchase an F-350 cab-and-chassis, which was the Longbed Crew-Cab, but only offered in 2wd. So I put my cab onto the F-350 chassis, and then converted the thing to 4-wheel-drive with 300 inline Six with NP425 and married NP205 t-case.

After all the effort to weld-up 65-holes, I decided I would straighten it out and give it a new PPG finish. ( It has already been 20-years since the build. Ford city !! yep.

You better start Buttering-up the wife because you will stumble across a Keeper.   hahaha

Enjoy !

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 1:43pm

Forget the pickup--that's a handsome yellow Lab!

Greaser007: You're not observing one of the cardinal rules of the 2A Page:  all photos with dogs and vehicles MUST include the dog's name.

ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

Bob ........... if you keep Lurking ..... you're Done-in.

You better start Buttering-up the wife because you will stumble across a Keeper.   hahaha

Enjoy !

Len

I'm not worried about catching the flatfender bug.  After all, you can't catch a disease you already have!  Whether I actually get one will depend on a number of outside factors though.  And I'm really not complaining about my wife limiting me.  "Grounding me" might be a better description anyway (and not in the sense of punishing a teenager...).  My ideas can tend to fly away at times and it's important 9if not fun) to have a voice of reason.  Still, I'm hopeful!  My wife is very supportive of my truck / fourwheeling hobby.  She hasn't complained about my project vehicles (as long as I keep them in moderation).  And she's jumped into fourwheeling with both feet.  Most of our family vacations over the years have involved fourwheeling, including 2 trips last year.  And we have a trip back to Ouray Colorado planned for this summer, as well as tentative plans for at least a weekend to an off-highway vehicle park here in Minnesota some time this year.

By the way, if dog pictures are appreciated, here's my Bronco on a grouse hunting trip several years ago.  Casey (the orange and white Brittany) and Shadow (the black and tan Gordon Setter) are both gone now.  But I have a young Gordon (Kenzie) to take me hunting now.  The 2-legged hunter in the picture is my younger son, Dan.  He's also the one in the driver's seat in the pictures a few posts up where you can actually see the driver.

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 6:24pm
Sorry to hear about the dogs. I lost my Black Lab on Christmas eve and my parents lost their Dachshund a week later.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 6:39pm
Pics of dogs with Willys jeeps always welcome on the 2A Page.
In fact, I think we've had a few "Show us your Dogs and Jeeps" photo solicitations over the years. Love the pic of your 'field rig' and the good lookin' bird dogs. Thanks!
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2018 at 8:39pm
Sorry, I have no pictures of my dog and her boy in a Jeep.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>