Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Highway speeds?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highway speeds?
    Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 4:47am
How do  non-directional tires hold up at highway speeds (70)?  Buddy rebuilt an old military 1/4 ton (don't know the mfg or year) bought new tires & now wondering hoe it'll do on long trips (1000 miles).  Anyone have experience with such?
Thanks!  Bob
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 9:29am
From 1942-1945 the "Victory Speed Limit" was 35 mph on highways to conserve fuel and rubber for the war effort but going even 45mph back then was probably about what the max speed would have been.

When I first joined the USAF in 1980 we had M151 Mutt Jeeps each towing M416 Trailers with NDTs. The trailers all had a MEP26 28v genset in the back so there was some weight in the trailer but we had no issues with highway speeds convoying up to 6-7 hours.

Granted we never drove over 50ish mph in those Jeeps.

But the Military trailers were never designed to exceed 50-55mph for later trailers and the short length is not going to help either.

If you've driven a stock 5.38 ratio CJ-2A you probably feel most comfortable at less then 40mph as the motor is screaming.

Tech Manuals say max speed:
M100 1/4ton - only mentions not to exceed 30mph during testing
M416 1/4ton - 55mph
M101 3/4ton - 50mph
M103/105/107 1-1/2ton - 50mph

Is there any weight in the trailer and has he experimented with different speeds to see were this begins to get squirrely? 

Hopefully more will chime in but they were never designed to go over the the speeds mentioned and 1/4 ton trailers were specifically designed for towing behind the CJ-2A/MB/GPW, M38/M38A1 or M151 size Jeeps which themselves are not high speed vehicles.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 1:34pm
I have no practical input, just saying.  Two suggestions pop to mind-

You might try asking in an expedition trailer forum, as short 1/4T trailers are frequently built into expedition trailers that see time behind modern tow vehicles at speed,  Not specific to NDTs per se, but you may find both there.

Second, if you want a new respect for short trailers at speed, grab your favorite beverage and search youtube for "unstable trailers compilation".  Yes, most are stupid people doing stupid things, but watch for the clips of short trailers apparently properly loaded passing semi's into the view of their dash cams and going dog waggle.  If you make the assumption that most big rigs are doing in the neighborhood of the speed limit and they are getting passed you can form your own opinion.

FWIW, I'm usually the guy in the left lane averaging 75mph on the highway... if I want my bantam to do 60-65mph I'll put it on my tandem axle trailer with brakes.  YMMV.

Edited by mbullism - 01 Mar. 2020 at 1:41pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Tom Lach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Lach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 2:45pm
I have used my T3C with NDTs on many runs of about 500 mile round trip when my daughter moved to St Louis. When loaded up I was careful about front loading the trailer. Never had any problems running 65. Even loaded never really felt the trailer was back there. Ran fine coming back empty.

T3C - 21351
1942 Script GPW
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 3:00pm
I have a T3C and have taken it up to 70 with no issues but felt much more comfortable at 65.  That was NOT NDT tires but radials. That was empty when bringing Tubby home from Idaho to Texas. Another trip it was loaded for camping from Texas to NM to CO and back. I was very pleased just how well it tracked behind the Avalanche at speeds.  Now, backing is another animal all together. 
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 4:42pm
We have over 5000 miles (one summer so far) of experience towing our restored Bantam trailer through the Rocky Mountains and elsewhere. We typically avoid freeways but travel on highway, gravel and off-road. The trailer has new NDT tires and tubes, new bearings, springs and shocks. It is usually loaded with camping gear. We pay attention to load balancing, keeping proper weight on the tongue. The trailer tracks very well at highway speed- 60-65 mph. We've not had any issues but for the old coupler letting loose one time crossing some railroad tracks. I fixed that issue with a new coupler.

Edited by takesiteasy - 01 Mar. 2020 at 5:01pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 5:37pm
Your tires are your limiting factor, the trailer doesent care A bias ply tire is only good for 65 mph, more so an ND unbalanced at sustained hi-speed will probably have a shortened life. I’ve towed 1/4 tons on the interstate many times loaded with radial tires without any issues, for the most part if loaded evenly you don’t even know they are back there, be it behind a Ford Taurus or my old Dodge Neon. If you have bias plys I would mount up a set of radials for road trips and have no worries 👍🏽....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 5:58pm
My dad found my trailer for a song when he lived in upstate New York. I pulled it 1000mi to Kansas city behind an 87 4cyl s10 as fast as the iron duke could go with dryrotted mis matched NDTs. 
I've pulled this trailer to IKEA behind the car on the interstate countless times. Hate to confess but I got passed when on a single lane ramp.... I passed them when the lanes formed doing 90mph. Same 30yr old dry rotted tires. 
The biggest issue I've noticed is the tires are big for a trailer. Takes a lot more input for them to stop or start and they aren't the best for slick roads. The gutless s10 could feel the trailer. The car doesn't. My jeep has a v6 with disks and it doesn't feel any different with /without the m416, the 4cyls will feel the weight when starting out but anything a jeep can do the trailer can do. The axles use dana 25 parts and have much less weight on them. They are light enough you give is one try at backing then just unhook and walk it home. 
I love my little trailer and the wife likes the trailer enough to let the jeep stay around. Heck it hauled a water heater home last.
The mismatched ndts sometimes make a harmonic noise as speed a whoopin and then can get a vibration just like on a jeep.

Edited by Jw60 - 01 Mar. 2020 at 6:03pm
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 8:36pm
Really appreciate all the answers.
Thanks!
Bob
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 8:41pm
1/4 ton jeep or a 1/4 ton trailer ?
I have no NDT / trailer experience.

I ran  the tread off a brand new set of 6 ply 6.00 x 16 NDT's on my 3B with O.D.
Generally ran it at 60 to 65 MPH but only seldom ran it any faster.
Got about 30 K miles and I would say that speed does not effect their performance any.
Of course they are rather noisy on the road and make sure they are balanced and mounted on wheels with little to no runout. 
At higher speeds I prefer wheels with less than 1/8" of runout as is measured at the outer flange.
3/16" of  rim runout or greater and also being unbalanced can readily induce the "DEATH WOBBLE".
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 10:27pm
Sorry, my bad - was asking about a trailer.
Appreciate the reply, thank you.
Bob
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 11:32pm
We towed ours empty behind a minivan at around 60-65 at times with no issues. It's on the NDTs with the smaller knobby pattern thats more meant for street usage than off road usage.
 Post Reply Post Reply