Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Telluride

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Telluride
    Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:19am
Today I got an email from Google saying “here’s your stylized photo.”  It was a picture I got from Glen (Red Willy) that he (or maybe his wife) took of me and Grampa’s Jeep rolling down The Steps on Black Bear Road with the town of Telluride in the background from our trip there in the summer of 2016. 
It’s one of my favorite pictures. It was a neat reminder of a great trip with great friends.

Not sure I like the stylized version though. Here’s the stylized with the original below it.

Edited by smfulle - 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:28am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:27am
"Stylized" or "Colorized"? Confused
 I think I like the original better too.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:03am
Yeah, the artsy-fartsy one makes GJ blend in with the scene.  Meh.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:15am
I like the original better . .  I do not remember seeing this before . .  GREAT PHOTO!

Edited by JeepFever - 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:17am
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 11:23am
That is the perfect spot to make one wonder just what you are getting yourself into. I remember it well. My GPW was geared too tall for those trails and thank God it had good brakes. 

The stylized version reminds me of the wrong setting on your 35 MM Camera. I like the original too.

Beautiful views, beautiful country, and  the altitude will test your Jeeps fuel delivery system. Lots of memories. John

Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 11:58am
I too prefer the original, in fact I'm adding it to my screen saver program along with your pic of your hood looking out over a Utah canyon if that's ok.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 12:13pm
I actually like both for different reasons. It's like comparing Dave VanHalen to Sammy VanHalen. Two different bands. Both sound great for different reasons.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 12:58pm
What a grand view!  I'm glad I didn't take Nancy down that road.  I don't know if I'd ever get her to go Jeeping again.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 1:15pm
Seems like the first one puts the focus on the trees and the valley.  Original puts the focus on GJ and the upcoming decent.  I'll go with the original as well.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

I too prefer the original, in fact I'm adding it to my screen saver program along with your pic of your hood looking out over a Utah canyon if that's ok.

Jeff,
Any picture of mine you are welcome to use. This particular picture is actually Glen’s. I don’t think he would mind either.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I actually like both for different reasons. It's like comparing Dave VanHalen to Sammy VanHalen. Two different bands. Both sound great for different reasons.

There was a time in high school back in the 70s, when the upper pic would have been great on a wall with a black light shining on it and smoke tailing up from a big joint WHOA  just my $.02

Edited by jeeper50 - 01 Feb. 2018 at 2:24pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 2:38pm
I like both! Very cool picture! 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 2:55pm
The top photo has a ViewMaster 3-D look to it for me. Still looks great either way.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 3:29pm
Epic, Stan. Epic.

I like both.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:29pm
I remember coming down to Telluride on Black Bear Road in the mid-70's in my 1971 Ford F-250 4x4. If you know something about long wheelbase 4x4 trucks and Black Bear Pass you will know that I had a real rough time negotiating the switchbacks on the way down the mountain. Lets make that extremely rough time!

The warning sign at the trailhead said "Four Wheel Vehicles Only". It should have said "SHORT WHEELBASE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES ONLY". I had my wife get out of the truck on a couple occasions and told her to spot for me. I didn't tell her that I wanted her out of the truck in case I went over the side of the mountain.     I would have turned around at the first chance and went back to the top of the pass, but the signs said "One way traffic from this point only" - Down"! We made it, but that was some of the hairiest driving I have ever done.

As Stan's picture shows, the scenery was awesome. One of my bucket list things to do is go back over the pass with Ol' Red. I'm sure it will be much easier with a short wheel base truck!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Jeff,
Any picture of mine you are welcome to use. This particular picture is actually Glen’s. I don’t think he would mind either.

I have no problem with you using
Glen
49 CJ3A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 8:33pm
Great photos! I prefer the original more.

Having never been there, how steep is it where the photo was taken?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 9:10pm
Here's a shot farther on down before "Adios Curve":

.... man, that sure was a gr8 day:

Grampa's Jeep meets some friends in Ouray Colorado

... now my mind is back on Ouray again..... <sigh>
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>