Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Telluride

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 10:09pm
Yeah make sure you wear a seatbelt that looks steep! Just kidding haha
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 10:36pm
No worries on Black Bear pass. Just be sure and wear your paracommander if you slip off one of the switchbacks! Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 4:20am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Having never been there, how steep is it where the photo was taken?

It's VERY steep.  That spot is the beginning of the steep part.

I went down it in my '89 YJ in 1990.  It's geared too tall for the terrain and the original carburetor did not like the angles.  I had to stand on the brakes to go slow and the gas to keep the engine running.  The front stabilizer bar caused much trouble too.  Nobody made YJ stabilizer bar disconnects in those days.  Or fuel injection kits.  Or 4:1 transfer case gears.  Still, I'm glad I went.  Lots of pucker factor, but fun nonetheless--and the scenery?  None better!!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 4:35am

Great photos! I prefer the original more.

I posted this video that was taken about the same time we were there, summer 2016 on the thread that Jpet linked above. It’s from a drone so you get a whole different perspective than from ground level.

If you look at about the 2 minute mark you can see rigs going down the section from my pic. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 4:39am
Also around 5:50 in the drone vid is another shot that shows pretty well how steep it is right there.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 4:47am
In this pic taken from across the way on the climb up tO Imogene Pass you can see the switchbacks of Black Bear on the steep face opposite. The “Steps” come down out of the notch at the top left, you start into the switchbacks.

It’s really not technically difficult, especially in a short wheelbase flattie, but the consequences of a mistake or a malfunction is .... well.... death.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 6:25am
At about the 2:30 - 2:40 point in the drone video, where the dark Wrangler is, there is a kind of a "hump" where the grade becomes steeper and then the road turns to the right. You can't see the road ahead of you, all you can see is empty space and Teluride far below. I think that was the scariest part of the road for  me. Having Jpet standing next to the road near the curve helped, as I could then see where the road was, even tho I could not see the road itself. Jeff spoke to me as I went by, and I was not able to reply, wave, or even turn my head in aknowledgement. Embarrassed
  I don't recall the number of switchbacks from there on down, but three (I think) are so tight that even a CJ2-A cannot negotiate them in one shot.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 7:37am
Drive Red Cone. I was in low range running 5:38s and a V6 and I just slid down the hill even with good tires and a rear powerlock. That is a steep descent. Hit the brakes or stay in control? I went with the control. A guy at the bottom of the hill jumped in his Jeep to get it out of the way. I just smiled and waved as I went past him at an idle
uncamonkey
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 12:30pm
That particular place, looking from the top of the steps down to Telluride with mountain bookends..... is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Changed me really. I think about it often.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
One2baja View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One2baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 5:22pm
Those views are just gorgeous!  Would love to do them in my jeep some day.  Did the Million Dollar Highway out of Ouray, Co several years ago on my Harley.  But the jeep trails look breath taking and a wonderful views!
"I think that I have seen it all until tomorrow"

'46 CJ2A # 45124   
'47 CJ2A #104643 "Betsy"
'49 CJ2A # ??
'80 XJ
'95 ZJ
'17 WK2
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Great photos! I prefer the original more.

I posted this video that was taken about the same time we were there, summer 2016 on the thread that Jpet linked above. It’s from a drone so you get a whole different perspective than from ground level.

If you look at about the 2 minute mark you can see rigs going down the section from my pic. 

Wow that looks crazy!   I'm sure the video still doesn't do it justice and I will have to see this as I drive down it to really experience it. Thanks for posting this Stan.
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 1:49am
thanks for posting the pictures & videos Stan, they're great. You really appreciate good brakes on that trail.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 2:31am
Nice ,thanks for posting the video Stan.I don't think I would have the nerves. I have too many broken bones from pass accidents.Confused
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 9:20pm
Thanks for posting the pic's and vids. Would a stock cj2a be able to handle that run? Thanks Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 9:58pm
YES. Neither Black Bear or Imogene is not technically difficult. It’s just a bit scary. Glen’s (red Willy) rig is stock and was there that day with us.  He took the original pic that I posted here.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 10:44pm
The difficulty is to your nerves. but not that technical. What this video at 9:45

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
One2baja View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One2baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 11:55pm
They say one is born every minute.  But you have to remember that is now legal in Colorado! LOL!

Sorry, not to get away from a stock Willys or experience.  That was the first thing came to mind when watching the video.
"I think that I have seen it all until tomorrow"

'46 CJ2A # 45124   
'47 CJ2A #104643 "Betsy"
'49 CJ2A # ??
'80 XJ
'95 ZJ
'17 WK2
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 2:43am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I remember coming down to Telluride on Black Bear Road in the mid-70's in my 1971 Ford F-250 4x4. If you know something about long wheelbase 4x4 trucks and Black Bear Pass you will know that I had a real rough time negotiating the switchbacks on the way down the mountain. Lets make that extremely rough time!....

I did Black Bear in 2000 with my wife and (at the time) 4 and 6 year old sons.  The CJ5 I had then had 4.27 axle gears, 4.1 low in the trans and 2:1 in the t.case.  With 32" tires the 34:1 crawl ratio was low enough to not need brakes on any of it.  I did appreciate the rear locker though when the TJ ahead of me couldn't back up on the second switchback.  He was a little crossed up and was just spinning two tires.  He had an ARB, so he got off just fine too once he locked it in, but with open diffs you need to be a little more careful on your line (or have a friend behind who can give you a tug).

On the long wheelbase, I've never done that on Black Bear, but I did drive an '85 F-250 up Mt. Antero.  Going up was hard, going down even worse.  Once I just couldn't make the turn so I pulled straight through the switchback and backed down to the next one!

This summer my wife and I are planning on going back to Ouray, probably late July or early August.  looking forward to that!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>