Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Telluride

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 5:37am
Perhaps it's just me, I found no part of Black Bear intimidating, do not recall using any brake other than on the switchbacks I had to make two stabs at, and I believe there were 2 or three. My right seater on the trip, Rolf was a bit disappointed as he had watched YouTube videos for a month before we left and had great expectations of being scared to death! ..... also do not think seat belts would be of any benefit on this road, you screw up, your dead, simple as that. I will agree it's one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and also one of the most unique, I will return!...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 7:07am
Thanks for sharing!
Gary

51 CJ-3A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Perhaps it's just me, I found no part of Black Bear intimidating ... you screw up, your dead, simple as that....  I will return!...

Lee
The man, the myth, the fashion mogul!!Wink

If you weren't afraid, at least a little bit, then you truly must have nerves of steel, cajones the size of basketballs, and suits of polyester.   Or absolute confidence that your Jeep will do exactly what you want it to do, when you want it to do it.  And that you will NOT slip on the sand that covers some of the rock road surface.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 1:18pm
That's part of why I'm looking forward to going back there this summer.  I was terrified going down Black Bear the first time, but it really is an easy trail, with nothing at all intimidating ON the trail (OFF the trail, now that's another matter!).  I want to see if it has the same impact on me when I know what to expect.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 1:51pm
I have done the trail 4 times. I am not very afraid of heights and the steps do not terrify me or anything like that, but I do get an adrenaline pinch that really feels good and I am thankful for that. It is beautiful, no doubt, but without the pinch the trail would not be as enjoyable, IMO. It doesn't take away from the beauty for me because, you can stop at the first switchback, soak it all in and process what you are seeing and feeling. To me, that stop feels really good. There is also plenty of room to let anyone behind you go on by.

Sometimes, I wish I was more afraid of heights. You can have more fun!

When Lee retires, he will be the guy driving the bulldozer on Imogene..... or should I say, "Caterpillar"

Edited by jpet - 04 Feb. 2018 at 1:55pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 1:53pm
.... also, I don't see how anyone would need, or want a locker on that trail.... unless it was to help someone who wasn't paying attention.

Edit: in that situation, a winch may be more appropriate.

Edited by jpet - 04 Feb. 2018 at 1:58pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 2:38pm
Really enjoying this thread.   My father did Black Bear and other trails in that area many times back in 70-80's.   He had lots of stories.

I can only imagine the rush,  but sure it would be white-knuckle for me.    Especially at the sections (where someone shared in this thread),  that you can not see the road ahead,   you have to have the faith that you are not driving off a cliff . .  and also like Mike just mentioned when you hit a sandy spot,  start sliding,  and wonder if you will gain traction again.

Thanks again . . for sharing.Clap
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 3:24pm
I would have to agree with Lee, I don’t remember ever feeling nervous or a feeling of going to fast. I understand Oily’s comments concerning gearing. Also my right seat partner says it was not nearly as bad as she expected. Other than me taking my hands off the wheel she was never concerned. 
Glen
49 CJ3A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 4:10pm
Here is a shot of the bypass Jpet is referring to!

Ok, there is a bit of a rush, for me the beauty of the view overtakes that by the first turn.

The man, the myth, the fashion mogul!!Wink

Mike, you should try a suit coat on the trail, not only does it add a layer of warmth above the tree line, it acts as a "Superman Cape" in precarious situations like Black Bear Road!, well worth the $3 investment at the thrift store.

If you weren't afraid, at least a little bit, then you truly must have nerves of steel, cajones the size of basketballs, and suits of polyester.

Not sure of the nerves, "Cajones", Well, I suffer the curse of the Scandinavians, so nothing to brag about, LOL.... "Polyester", not for me, Wool or without!

Jpet, id try the dozer, although metal track grousers on ice act like hockey skates and make you go sideways with no control, also its a "DOZER", "Caterpillar" is a brand name much like "Towmotor", Both great companies from Illonois, and both the same today, BTW, I'll have a Pair of water pump pliers in my lunchbox (Channel Locks), and an adjustable wrench (Cresent wrench), LOL.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

I would have to agree with Lee, I don’t remember ever feeling nervous or a feeling of going to fast. I understand Oily’s comments concerning gearing. Also my right seat partner says it was not nearly as bad as she expected. Other than me taking my hands off the wheel she was never concerned. 

Glenn didn't even have a suit coat!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

.... also, I don't see how anyone would need, or want a locker on that trail.... unless it was to help someone who wasn't paying attention.

Edit: in that situation, a winch may be more appropriate.

Definitely don't NEED a locker.  But (at least when I was there 18 years ago) if you started turning too early on the 2nd switchback you ended up with your front bumper hanging off the ledge and your right rear tire shoved up a lot higher than the other three.  For the TJ ahead of me that left him spinning the right front and left rear as he tried to back up to complete the turn.  He flipped the switch on his ARB and got back easily.

There are a number of ways to avoid that problem.  The main one is to not turn too early.  That way you don't cut the right rear too close into the inside point of the switchback and all 4 tires stay pretty level.  Or have a flexible enough vehicle (springs, tires and/or frame) that you still get traction from all 4 tires.  Or maybe with a small enough vehicle it's not an issue (but the TJ definitely wasn't small enough to be able to get by with a bad line, and my CJ5 wouldn't have fared any better if I'd have cut as early as he did).

But I didn't mean to imply that stock vehicles should stay away from Black Bear.  And really the 2nd switchback is the only one I remember having that issue.  I think it's a lot more natural to cut too early on the right hand turns.  The first switchback, with the left turn, doesn't seem to want to get people crossed up.  And I know there were more tight switchbacks as you went down, but I really only remember those two being at all spooky.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 12:53am
I don't remember which switchback I had trouble on, but it was a left hand one about halfway down where my (YJ) front stabilizer bar wouldn't let the left front wheel down far enough to get the traction needed to back up.  Had to get two guys to stand on the front bumper to do that.  At my earliest opportunity I got disconnects for that bar.  And all because some morons couldn't drive CJ-5s without rolling...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 12:35pm
I agree with Lee, it wasn't as bad as I had expected, I just want to say that I wasn't nearly as well dreseed as Lee or Rolf, the farmer tux Lee was sporting is truly a trend setter. It Thumbs Upshould be standard Willys attire. the switch backs were the worst part. I have front lockers making it very hard to do the turns less than 5 tries. I will go back, it's truly a gorgeous part of country.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Grumpy1 Grumpy1 wrote:

...... I have front lockers making it very hard to do the turns less than 5 tries.....
Exactly.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 1:27pm
The views were awesome. Fantastic country to experience. Taking the right machine that is set up for the type of trail is a huge help. Riding your brakes all the way down like I had to is not what you want. Nivrat , our great guide said over and over, pay attention, don't look around too much and concentrate on what you are doing and "it will be just fine".  I did this, and Jpet was standing at a spot on "The Steps" that made me hope he didn't fall, but I was  too busy concentrating on the road to BS with him. LOL The other comment was don't pull up too close to the turns on the switchbacks with your front tires, or when you begin to back up, one could go over the edge. That rang loud and clear with me. 

The point that bothered me the most was that there is no room for error. Going too fast, loosing your brakes, popping out of gear, sliding over rocks on a steep grade due to sand and small loose stuff all could spell disaster. Trying to keep your Jeep running at extreme altitude was also a new experience. My GPW began loosing fuel deliver at 10,500 feet according to my on board altimeter. At 12,500 it quit. It had never done this anywhere else, and still doesn't. So, again, take a vehicle that is set up for this kind of trail. 

The worry over making a mistake that could spell disaster for you or your friends, took much of the fun out of it for me. I guess my age is showing. I like relaxing, comfortable Jeeping with pretty views. So does my wife. Once down Black Bear was good enough for me. Wink  Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 3:18pm
For sure Lee, those are the first and most important tools in the box! Just a note though, in England the adjustable or "cresent" as you call it is known as a "spanner". Just saying. Wink

Edited by binthere - 05 Feb. 2018 at 3:20pm
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 3:36pm
Funny what will get a thread going. 
I just threw up a pic that Google had messed with thinking I might get a couple of opinions and it starts a whole train of memories. It's almost like sitting around in John's shop after the days ride. 
Love it!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Grumpy1 Grumpy1 wrote:

.... the switch backs were the worst part. I have front lockers making it very hard to do the turns less than 5 tries....

I didn't have a front locker in my CJ5, but the Detroit in the rear certainly wasn't a liability.  On the tighter switchbacks I had to back up once , but I don't think I ever had to twice.

My only experience with a front locker was a LockRight in my F-150 for one year.  I thought that was barely tolerable in slow driving (snowy forest roads were what I drove it on).  I removed it after one year because it was way to dangerous on snowy highways (it caused unexpected lane changes).  I could see it being worth having on rocks, but I can also see it being a pretty big liability on tight switchbacks.

edit: to avoid further hijacking this thread, here's a link to a locker discussion thread:

Edited by Nothing Special - 06 Feb. 2018 at 3:55am
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>