Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History of my Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendellslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of my Jeep
    Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 12:32am
Hello Willy’s Jeep owners 
I recently bought my grandfathers 46 Jeep Willy’s. I would like to know the true history of it. Does anyone know where I can find that information. As in does anyone know a website I can go to and have some one research for me. Or a phone number I can call to get that same information. 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 2:17am
A side from looking up the serial number and verifying its a 46 there is not much you can research.

What kind of info are you looking for?

If you want to know the purchase history your going to have to walk that back from one owner to the next.

If you want to know the original colors your going to have to find that on the jeep somewhere.

If you want to know what equipment it came with. Well the Pass and rear seat Oil filter were options. Any other equipment like PTO, or Winch etc. Were dealer installed. If it has Locking hubs those were added by an owner at some time as they were not stock.

There isn't even any records of where different Willys jeeps were originally sold that anyone I know of has heard of.

And I am Sure the CA DMV would be worthless trying to find out anything past the title and registration in your hand.

Post up some photos and we can tell you anything not obvious we see in the photos.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 11:40am
  Well, you came to the right place to start, and if you really want to learn about your Willys, I can get you started right here. 
  There is no apostrophe in “Willys”. Willys-Overland Motors was the name of the company that designed and built your jeep. Note that I used a lower-case “j” in “jeep”. In 1946, jeep was not a brand name, it was a type of vehicle like “pickup”, “convertible” or “coupe”. So it is NOT a Jeep Willys, it is a Willys jeep. 
Welcome to the forum. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 17 Mar. 2022 at 11:42am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Kendellslove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendellslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 12:43pm
Thank guys. 
I hear there was some where there was an archive but that was a small hope. I am curious because I know the cj-2a was not a military Jeep. I do know if it in face a cj-2a from the serial number. But my grandfather kept a sticker on the bumper that is from the military.  I believe it is a parking sticker but over all it is a sticker. I think I up loaded the pic correctly I am doing on my I phone. In case you are all curious the serial number is 15739.  And thank for all your help. I did not buy it because I thought it was worth a ton I bought it because it was my grandfathers and it is a piece of Jeep history.  
And thank you for reminding me / letting me know about the Willys (iPhone keeps auto correct to Willy’s) and jeep/Jeep name. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 1:22pm
The sticker on the bumper was a base registration sticker that the sentry on the base gate knew that it was properly on the base without an inspection. They were generally waved through by the sentry on the gate. If memory serves the blue on the sticker meant that the vehicle was registered to an officer. A blue sticker rated a salute from the sentry regardless of who was driving. Red lettering meant an enlisted airman and green was an Air Force civilian employee. I'm not sure when the Army, Marines, Navy and Air Force went to a uniform Department of Defense sticker but I do know that after 9-11 ALL vehicles were stopped and searched inside and out regardless of a sticker or not. Shortly thereafter DOD personnel were directed to remove their stickers from their vehicles. The Coast Guard had their own stickers but drivers were directed to remove them after 9-11 also.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 17 Mar. 2022 at 1:24pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 1:28pm
If you knew which Air Force Base "HML" was, then you could tell where your jeep had been at one point in time.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 1:30pm
do yourself and us a favor and turn off auto correct. that helps those that read and respond actually understand your questions. read and edit your post before sending to get your question reasonably clear without typos.

pics:
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 2:33pm
lots of history here:
https://www.thecj2apage.com/

and there are lots of books out there on jeep history. one very good one is by Fred Coldwell called Preproduction Civilian Jeeps. Fred is also a contributor to this forum. 

if you want the history of your specific vehicle such as where it was originally purchased, the past owners, etc. well that is going to be challenging. maybe start by asking your own family members what they may know. 

no, unfortunately, there is no google page with records of every car ever made and who owned, where they operated, and the wonderful and terrible adventures they encountered. 

Edited by bight - 17 Mar. 2022 at 2:35pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 3:09pm
The OP might be talking about the CJ2A database, which is a long shot since it was updated by members here so I doubt it has any info on it but I guess it's worth a shot.  I'm on my phone so I can't post a link but if you google cj2a database, you can probably find it.  I hasn't been updated I a while though (I think someone is working on that...) 

Edit: I just checked, no info on 15739.

Edited by Scratch - 17 Mar. 2022 at 3:13pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 3:43pm
If you want to have some fun - you can get copies of all the production updates for the 2A. Using your serial number, the bulletins and some math you can get pretty close to figuring out the day your Jeep was built. 

I found it to be a lot of fun digging through and reading the old docs. 

Not really what you are looking for as far as history. But it's a cool journey to take. I'm sure someone can post up a link to the docs. I'm not in a position to link them at the moment. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

If you want to have some fun - you can get copies of all the production updates for the 2A. Using your serial number, the bulletins and some math you can get pretty close to figuring out the day your Jeep was built. 

I found it to be a lot of fun digging through and reading the old docs. 

Not really what you are looking for as far as history. But it's a cool journey to take. I'm sure someone can post up a link to the docs. I'm not in a position to link them at the moment. 

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendellslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 9:48pm
 I would like to thanks you all again for all of this information. It has been real helpful. Based on the information given I can assume that my Jeep was registered to an Air Force office (based on the information regarding the stickers. As long as I under stood it correctly) and it was at one point in it life at Holloman Air Force Base ( this is where I could find the HML base is ). Maybe I am wrong but at least this is something. 
To my knowledge it is the original motor as well. My grandfather says that he got the engine rebuilt the engine that was in it. 
Extra question 
1. Were these a 12 volt or a 6 volt system? I believe mine is 12 and am wondering if it came that way or did someone switch it to a 12 volt. 
2. Would there be anything else that is on my Jeep that would tell you if it was from the military?   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendellslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 10:29pm
I found this pot on the inside of my Willys jeep. I believe it means that is is an mb. Can someone verify this? What does it mean? Do all cj-2a have this? 
I know it is painted, my grandfather looks like got paint happy. Is this something worth taking the paint off of? 
 this 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendellslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 10:30pm
Oh and it was on the drive side inside frame by the front bumper 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 10:58pm
If you look carefully you will see the CJ stamping that appears on the picture of the frame tag you posted along with your CJ-2A frame number. It is under that paint.

Local Military bases sometimes purchased civilian Jeeps, but statistically your is most likely not Military.

Also there is orange paint under the Military sticker while means the Jeep was painted at least twice after it left the Willys Plant in Toledo.

Edited by Joe Friday - 18 Mar. 2022 at 11:01pm
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 11:12pm
and looks kinda like Luzon Red under that orange?

but if that is on bumper the base color would be black.

and i remember those stickers from the 70’s on my friends parents cars as many i knew were military folks. yes, it was so they could get on base.

Edited by bight - 19 Mar. 2022 at 12:32am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 11:33pm
Looks to be an early 46 CJ-2A NOT Military at all. Though it does have the tool indents on the drivers side which was a left over from the MB. They were all 6Volt originally.

Yours has had some body work done to it the back Top Bow bracket and the rear corner brackets have been removed (a common thing to do when doing body work and repainting.) The photos are small even on my big computer screen but I don't see the Side angle seam which also means body putty.

The comment about the sticker means that someone who either was in the service retired from the service or worked as a civilian at the Base had a sticker to allow the vehicle on base. Not that the base owned the jeep.

Looks like a nice early CJ-2A to me.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 11:52pm
lots to like about your grandfathers jeep. it has a lot of originality. it is always special to keep in the family if possible.

tool indents, bumper gussets, top bow bracket (rear missing), window pull handle, inner windshield back stops, marker lights, lollipops, all coincide with 15739 CJ-2A.

would be nice to get a photo of the back.

column shift is missing, converted to floor. back corner bow brackets gone.

a few non-original items: steering wheel?, seats, roll bar, console, chrome tailpipe, antenna, mirrors, tow bar, front hubs, extra hood latches, top rails on windshield, turn signal, kiddys. 

Edited by bight - 19 Mar. 2022 at 10:16am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>