Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History of my Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 12:29am
Here’s another link that might give you more info. I don’t think Luzon red was available in ‘46

Mike in AZ
Kendellslove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendellslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 1:38am

I know the Jeep is not fully original, however it has original parts like the body, engine, and a few other things. I was debating weather or not to restore it to original beauty or leave it the way it is. The past few months I think I am deciding to leave it the way it is. Because this is exactly how it looked for my entire life. I do not plan on selling it and some day I plan on giving it to my son or daughter. The other Jeep in there is my 84 cj. 
My grandfather had an original soft top but it became destroyed due to old age and weather, so he got rid of it. ( I wish he kept it all) I still have the soft doors tho. 
Oh and I know the back half is defiantly not original my grandfather put a hitch in the back to tow a trailer full of garbage to the dump monthly from his cabin. 

I do thank everyone on this site for the many answered question. I would like to know more but I think that will be a much harder than I have time for this stage in my life. 
I plan on driving it to the golfing range monthly hehe. 
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 2:14am
Could be luzon red, but I assumed that the sticker was on the bumper that would have been black.

It is also a May 1975 gate permit.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 3:01am
From what I can see both the rear bumper & the tow hitch attached to it are original equipment & came stock on the CJ-2a. Ok maybe not the ball itself, but that may have been an option.

BTW, Those kids are cute & if they are like mine you need to buy at least one other Jeep.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 10:21am
in one of the previous pics, the rear license plate optically illuded me into seeing a big chrome bumper. your rear bumper is correct and original.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 10:42am
Do it the way you want. And give those kids some rides. Just enjoy. They already have big smiles.  Lol
Mike in AZ
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 10:55am
there would have been a trailer socket cover on driver rear.

and the passenger tail light would not be original.

but it really looks to be in exceptional condition.

you may want to spend some time on this site reading about the opinions of restoration. many will say "just drive it!". restoration is a commitment, and a costly one. potentially upwards of $20,000.00.

and restoration takes a great deal of time and perseverance. many give up within the process.

unless you simply have a desire to learn/exercise your mechanical abilities, since it is running and hopefully roadworthy (safe), spend time having fun driving it as is. you can always do little "objective incrementalism" (to borrow a recent quote on this site from drm101) projects that do not take it off the road.

Edited by bight - 19 Mar. 2022 at 11:51am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 11:14am
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

... you can always do little "objective incrementalism" (to borrow a recent quote on this site) projects that do not take it off the road.

Ah, the "Rolling Restoration" paradigm LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 11:18am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

... you can always do little "objective incrementalism" (to borrow a recent quote on this site) projects that do not take it off the road.

Either way it's going to cost you more than a Pair of Dimes...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Either way it's going to cost you more than a Pair of Dimes...

So far, yes Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 10:19pm
I didn't see where anyone answered the question about the frame tag.
Yes, you should clean the paint off it! That is one of the best items to preserve as it identifies your jeep. It's like your family surname! If you still have the tags on your firewall, it should match. When I bought mine, thankfully it had that tag being the only remaining one(bent over and hidden) and made it possible for me to have the original number.
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendellslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 11:57pm
Thank you for telling to take off the paint on the plates. And yes I do have the ones on the firewall. 
How would you safely take it off? 
Do you think paint thinner would be too harsh on the metal? 
Should I scratch it off? 
And as I look all of the plates say the same number 15739. 

And I am impressed about the bumpers being original. The look like something my grandfather put together to tow his small trailer to the dump near his cabin. 

I agree leave it the way it is. Mine runs, and restoring it might be more than I want to bargain for. I want to just have fun driving it around. 

Oh and to answer someone’s comment I need to purchase one more. I have that covered. My father has 1980 scrambler. I plan on buying it from him when my kids are old enough to drive.  One get my blue cj 7, the other gets my dads cj 8, and I get the Willy’s. 

SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2022 at 12:29am
You're one of the lucky ones that has all 3 data plates!

I would start by scraping with a plastic scraper first.
If no luck, you can try a plastic scour pad with a little thinner.
Then, third try would be scour pad with a little paint remover.
You want to avoid damaging the surface. All the numbers and lettering are stamped into it and will remain. There are a few people on here that have restored their data plates and you may find some tips searching the site. Try somethin like 'restore data plate'

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2022 at 6:10pm
That S/N would make it born in March or April of 1946.
1946 CJ2A 14098
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 9:30pm
Early ‘46 2As came in two colors; Harvest Tan and Pasture Green. 
That’s it.  Your jeep had to be one of those colors. 

One of the history links on the main CJ2A page has the history of the colors. 

I have 13396.  It was originally Harvest Tan.  My father had 18xxx in 1946.  It was Pasture Green. 

I’m always amazed at how many 2As end up olive drab (including mine).  

I’m very very late to this topic … so excuse the very tardy comment. 

Your jeep is an early production 2A and a nice find! Originally it had the shifter on the column.  Exhaust should WWII MB/GPW style too; with muffler hung from under tub below passenger seat. Check to see if the hangers are still there.  Also, your 2A was one of the first with Dana/Spicer 41 semi-floating rear axle.  

Very nice interesting jeep.  Have fun with it. Enjoy!
chris

2A #13396

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendellslove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2022 at 12:23am
Thank you. 
I love to hear all the information that I get on this website. 
The only thing I do not like is the metal under the rear seat. My grandfather put a carpet kit in it  and I did not like it as it is showing it’s age, so I took the back out just to get a feel for it. 
Well under the carpet there is diamond plate. I know my grandfather did not do that but I still love the Jeep. 
My two kids are in love with it as well. 

Glad you pointed out the color options. I laugh at my grandfather because every time he saw a scratch. He would take out his olive durab spray paint and go over it. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12