Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade body hoist solution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade body hoist solution
    Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 4:14am
Show me how you hoisted your body tub onto your chassis.  I don’t have an engine hoist.  I don’t have four guys at my disposal to come and screw around while I “fit”things.  What was your creative solution?
Chop chop
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 1:09pm
I made a frame that was (h) shaped out of square tubing, it had hooks that hooked under dash and to the b ack corners where the top bows go. Then I used the tractor to lift it but you could use a tree or something else, Thats convenient for you.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 2:29pm
Cheep chain hoist from Harbor Freight to the rafters in the Carport.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 2:56pm
Tub is right at 200 pounds. I run a 12’ length of light pipe perpendicular to and setting on top my garage rafters.
Hoist tub up with 3/8” nylon rope. Attach rope to tailgate chain stays at rear and “A” supports at the front.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 3:08pm
Unfortunately I have a drywall ceiling in my small garage or the pipe idea is a solid one.  I have attached perpendicular 2 x 4's to the ceiling with eye hooks on the ends of the 2 x 4's.  I use this to remove the hardtop on my daily driver 1996 Ford Bronco.  I typically use eight ratchet straps alternating corners and straps to raise and lower the hardtop.  It sucks because once you unlock the ratchet strap, they free load, and release.  The second strap at each corner is a backup to ensure they don't drop too far.

I could run two chains from the four eye hooks and then attach a chain hoist to the two hanging chains.  I'm gonna have to think about this one.  Man I would be pissed if the 2 x 4's pulled out of the ceiling and dropped the tub.  (I am pretty sure the Bronco hardtop is about the same weight as the tub.)
Chop chop
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 3:17pm
I added some j hooks to the basement rafters. Using motorcycle straps I hooked the roof bow pockets in back and the drain holes in the front and slowly lifted one corner at a time.  I worked my way around until the tub was high enough to roll the chassis out.  I like the motorcycle style cinch strap over the ratchet strap because you just lift the tub and pull the strap and its up..
-Gaffer
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 3:18pm
I live way out in a rural area, and most of my friends are too far away, too old, or too dead to be of much help, so I doubt I could round up much of a crew either. 

If you have a garage, here is what I did 30 years ago which was the last time I mounted a new body to a frame. 

I reinforced the "rafters" (2X4 trusses) in my garage with upright 4x4 posts spaced far enough apart for the Jeep to clear, with 2X8 supports bolted across the top ends. I attached four well anchored pulley blocks I had salvaged from a sailboat to the 2X8s, and used a block and tackle to lift the body. 

Once lifted I rolled the chassis underneath and lowered the body onto the frame. 

It helps to remove the steering gear and column before lowering the body, but you can roll the frame back and forth to insert the column as the body is slowly lowered if that is what you want to do.

With the body sitting unattached on the frame I installed the steering gear and column then the front clip including the fenders. I aligned the body to the fenders and loosely bolted them together, then I aligned the back of the body to the frame and clamped it tightly in place. Before I started drilling the body mount holes I measured and checked the front body alignment to the frame, made adjustments, and rechecked as often as needed until it suited me, then I drilled the holes, inserted the bushings and Bob's your uncle.

The above worked very well, but I moved from that place 25 years ago so no longer have that garage and don't know where that block and tackle got to.

I plan to do something similar with the reproduction MB body I plan to mount up this Winter, but instead of the block and tackle will probably use a couple of "come along" winches on one end, and my engine hoist on the other, so I can have a bit more ease of movement for the adjustments. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 3:23pm
"Man I would be pissed if the 2 x 4's pulled out of the ceiling and dropped the tub."

Most newer houses have 2X4 engineered trusses instead of real joists, which is why I placed the upright 4X4 posts to shore up the anchor points. They can be removed later. You sure don't want to pull down the house.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2020 at 5:50pm
I also used the ceiling of garage and a chain hoist when pulling tub on my '3A.    When I built the garage,   I reinforced 4 of the trusses with plywood,   then put a 8" tall steel I-beam across those 4 trusses.   (a heavy duty version of the pipe-in-the-rafter idea).

This tub has the M-38 access hole in floor,   so I was able to pull it off without removing steering wheel.

On Wilson,    30 years ago,  I pulled the tub using a large heavy-duty swingset frame.  

Above photo is of that swingset when I moved it to new location this year,   showing how I erected it myself.

bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2020 at 6:59pm
I will get pictures tonight and once I have the contraption in use.  I mentioned I already had some 2x4's attached to the drywall and to the studs above them to deal with my Bronco roof.  I used 6.0" length 1/4" diameter Spax bolts (T-Star Washer Head PowerLags) with the big washer heads to attach the 2x4's.  I took a piece of Unistrut, and bridged the 2x4's.  At each end, I have three (3) Spax bolts anchored into the studs above the drywall ceiling.  The published specifications list the "Pull Through" of the Spax bolts as 559 lbs. each.  I installed an Eyebolt on the middle Unistrut.  At the end of the Unistrut I installed a Harbor Freight worm-style hand winch.  This was the only model HF had that had the handle on the top vs the side of the unit.  The winch is obviously mounted upside down.  I grabbed a large smooth stainless steel snap ring which should be easy to use in conjunction with the winch cable hook.  I have some looped straps on the way from Amazon.  I now should be able to loop the two straps (front and back) around the body, and hook them on the winch cable hook.  I should then be able to slowly lift the body to position on my chassis.
Chop chop
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2020 at 10:09pm
Here is what I ended up with.  The Harbor Freight winch is slow.  It is cheap.  It also skips a tooth under load once in a while.  It also works, and was only $25.
Chop chop
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2020 at 11:45pm
Congratulations on your solution. Lookin good
Mike in AZ
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 6:34am
Please do not place any part of your human body under the tub until the weight is secured with something besides that winch that " skips a tooth under load once in a while".

I never trust winches or hoists enough to get under the load in any case, but one that is starting to fail? No way, not me!

IMHO, The tooth skipping winch is just not up to this task. Maybe if you used two of them? No, at least not the one skipping teeth.

Just in case I was not clear, any winch or come-a-long that skips a tooth under load is likely to fail at any time. Do not trust them.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 6:51am
Cptlogger, good reminder.  I am not underneath anything.  If it was to drop, it will drop onto my frame.  I have the tub on saw horses, and then pick it up, slip the frame underneath, etc.  I plan on getting better non-HF winch.  Just have to find one with top handle vs. side handle.
Chop chop
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 1:47pm
2X what cpt logger said.  Be Very Very Careful - WOW

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 2:29pm
I use a DL dual spool worm gear driven winch to raise my old aluminum fishing boat and motor. I bought it through either Rednecktrailer supply or Etrailer . Can’t remember which one.      Two lift points using the same cable and spool
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 3:46pm
Sandusky, Just so we are clear, the trailer winch I am using has a 2,000 lb. capacity.  It is Harbor Freight, so the ring gear may be a little crudely machined.  The tub is maybe 300 lb.?

Chop chop
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2020 at 4:05pm
I used basically the same setup as JeepFever's. My chain fall gets regular use and is one of the best investments I have made. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply