Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Non-Willys Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade PTO-driven Log-Splitter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade PTO-driven Log-Splitter
    Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 4:29am
I posted a photo of my Jeep doing "work" in another thread,  and that generated some interest for more detailed info.

Below are some photos of a log-splitter that I acquired about 5  years ago.   Basically it is a fairly massive I-beam with a hydraulic cylinder attached.   According to PO,  the cylinder and valve unit came from a garbage truck.

This is a "driver's side" view.   One of the things I might change about this unit (some day) is to make it shorter.  It has the ability to split a 33" log.  Much longer than I would ever need.   Cutting that I-beam might not be too easy though. : )

One thing I definitely plan to improve is the sliding section,  at end of ram.  The angle iron that captures the I-beam needs to be longer vertically,  and reinforced.      (notice how it is bending outward).

The next photo shows one of the mods I made . . a wooden spacer between the axle and I-beam.  This was to make the I-beam = level.   Some day I might make this spacer more "professional", but since it works fine now,  I may never get to it.    To anyone familiar with PTO on our Jeeps,  you will notice my homemade output is not stock.   I simply mounted a flange-bearing to a plate.   The PTO driveshaft is also homemade,  from a CJ-7 front driveshaft and some round bar.

A view from passenger side . .  mostly to show the power source.  Wink

A passenger-side view of just the splitter,  and some wood I split today.   Ironically the timing of this worked out.   I killed "three" birds with one stone.   1) A storm knocked down a tree on a friend's driveway,   2) my wife works for a catalog-company that needed some green wood to test a homeowner-wood-kiln,  and 3) some fellow Jeepers wanted to see photos of my splitter.  Smile

I really like this splitter.  I am not sure of the exact time,  but it seemed like it only took 15 minutes to split the pile (+50% not visible) in next photo.  It is as fast as any splitter I have used,  and can split some really nasty wood.

If anyone wants to try to duplicate this,  and needs dimensions,  or has any questions,  please let me know.  Smile
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 4:39am
Very Very Cool, Now thats very ingenius!ClapThumbs Up
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 4:40am
Love it.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 10:33am
Jeepfever, I like that splitter, I've been planning to build one but seems other projects and breakdowns take my time so it hasn't happened yet. By chance, are you around the Charlottesville area? Reason I ask is I ran into a guy at Camp Jeep near there in 2001 that had a 2A that your's reminds me of. Kinda helped influence my choice of OD green on my 48. I also traded for my 48 just after that trip, after seeing how well that 2A went!
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 11:43am
That was probably me at Camp Jeep.  I was there.  Smile   Of all the Camp Jeeps and Jeep Jamborees I have been to,  there have not been too many flat fenders.   The 2A has not changed much since then,  except for adding the PTO,  and new tires.
CHARLIE JEEP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 2:43pm
JeepFever,
many many thanks for your time in posting photos !!
I really appreciate.
I guess the equation is : a farm + a Jeep with PTO = LOG-SPLITTER !!
Incredible !!!

As you remember, I'm interesting also in somo photos of your lifter .....Wink
Thanks a lot .
Charlie.
CJ-2A #114467 1947        Slat Grill #124991 1942        SPEN trailer 1948              
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 2:58pm
I did not forget about the lift  Smile. .  it got dark on me before I could get it hooked up.    I probably will not be able to do it this afternoon,  but will hopefully get a chance sometime over the weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2012 at 3:29pm
Many thanks JeepFever.
I'll wait for that photos during the weekend. Don't worry !
Which is the capacity of the hidraulic liquid tank ?
Cheers,
Charlie

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2012 at 5:33am
Originally posted by CHARLIE JEEP CHARLIE JEEP wrote:

Which is the capacity of the hidraulic liquid tank ?

I would guess between 3 to 3.5 gallons  . .  approx 10"od x 12" long.   I appears to be a freon refill tank or similar.

Edited by JeepFever - 19 Aug. 2012 at 5:34am
Outback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2012 at 4:19pm
Neat stuff JF. Simple and effective. Cheers, enjoy safely Wink
Dunc

46 CJ2A # 16021 (Oakley)
05 TJ Rubicon (Prairie Prowler)
M101CDN trailer
Westman Jeep Assn & FFCMB
Manitoba Canada

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2012 at 1:05am
Hi JeepFever,
many thanks for your time posting these photos.
Cheers,
Charlie
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

... One of the things I might change about this unit (some day) is to make it shorter.  It has the ability to split a 33" log.  Much longer than I would ever need.   Cutting that I-beam might not be too easy though. : )

I think you'll find your cylinder's stroke is about 33" and the frame was designed so that the ram wouldn't be able to contact the foot and mess things up.  If you shorten it up, be careful! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2012 at 2:49pm
Hi JeepFever,
I agree with the comment about a shorter beam.
One thing that I saw in other Log-splitter is that the axe shape piece in the back has a "cross shape",
so in that case you can cut the log in 4 pieces !
Cheers and thanks again for your post. I really enjoy it !
Cheers,
Charlie Saguier
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by PhillipM PhillipM wrote:

I think you'll find your cylinder's stroke is about 33" and the frame was designed so that the ram wouldn't be able to contact the foot and mess things up.  If you shorten it up, be careful! 
I all the years I have used this, I only ran it to the end of stroke a couple times,  and can't honestly say whether the cylinder bottomed out,  or it pushed up against the wedge block.  It did put a load on the pump and probably built some high pressure. 

This is a good point  - -> to be careful.

I probably never will take the time to shorten it.  : )
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by CHARLIE JEEP CHARLIE JEEP wrote:

Hi JeepFever,
I agree with the comment about a shorter beam.
One thing that I saw in other Log-splitter is that the axe shape piece in the back has a "cross shape",
so in that case you can cut the log in 4 pieces !
Cheers and thanks again for your post. I really enjoy it !
Cheers,
Charlie Saguier
I have never used a splitter with a cross shape.   I wonder how useful that would be?  The wood I split is a lot of different diameters,  some of it is huge. 

This one goes fairly quick.  If I want four pieces in a log under about 14" dia,  I normally run the wedge in its full width (approx 8"),  then back out the ram.  While it is reversing,  I give the end of log a good tug sideways to finish the split,  (but not let them separate).   Spin the log 90 degrees,  and split again.  . .   Walla - >  four pieces in two 8" ram strokes.

It would be interesting though,  to see a cross-shaped wedge in use.

Edited by JeepFever - 24 Aug. 2012 at 4:54pm
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2012 at 2:15am
Years ago, a friend made a splitter and gave it to me.  It had a 10" I Beam as the chassis and a huge Wisconsin Motor driving it.  The ram was 4 inches in diameter and had a hydraulic chest off a continuous miner.  Talk about over kill! When you started it, it was so loud  that cows would abort in the next county.  When the engine finally gave up the ghost, I took it back to his shop and quickly bought a Sears splitter before he could fix it and give it back to me.  He was a great guy and a good friend but I didn't want that beast back.  Johnny Bravo will attest to what a good guy Sandy was. 
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
SugarMag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarMag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 3:28pm
Very cool rig Fever!  I'm looking to use my 2a to do some splitting myself.  I was thinking of a similar idea.  I was also considering purchasing a 21gpm pump just for the PTO and running lines to a splitter, or getting a 3pt PTO tractor splitter and setting it up on the jeep with turnbuckles.  I'm looking into something like this: http://www.drpower.com/prdsell.aspx?Name=dual-action-3-pt&p1Name=dual_action_splitter_home&Page=dual_action_splitter_models

The nice part about a separate pump is that I can use it for other hydraulic needs.  I'd also like to get all types of other tools for the pto like tillers and generators that will make my jeep happy.  We all need a job to do, and the jeep is no different!

Another solution to your wait time on the splitter length is to invest in a better hydraulic pump.  More gpm's will get the job done a lot quicker!  Also, you might want to invest in a bigger reservoir sooner than later.  You small one won't allow the fluid to cool enough and it doesn't hold very much, which means your either changing all the time or causing needless wear.  

Excellent setup thoughClap  I'm jealous!
No day but today . .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHARLIE JEEP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 4:05pm
Hi,
thanks for post. 
gpm Confused ? 
Please comments ....gallons per minute ??

Cheers,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>