Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Non-Willys Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade PTO-driven Log-Splitter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 4:16pm
Sweet Idea!!! Now you've got me looking around for an old splitter with a bad motor. I'm thinking about taking the easy way outLOL Just rig up a pto shaft  to a gear box and step the RPM's up . Nice work!!!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by SugarMag SugarMag wrote:

I'm looking into something like this: http://www.drpower.com/prdsell.aspx?Name=dual-action-3-pt&p1Name=dual_action_splitter_home&Page=dual_action_splitter_models

That is interesting design,   splits both directions.

The nice part about a separate pump is that I can use it for other hydraulic needs.  I'd also like to get all types of other tools for the pto like tillers and generators that will make my jeep happy.  We all need a job to do, and the jeep is no different!

"Work" is about the only thing that has been keeping the juices flowing in my 2A for the past several years,  it only gets to "play" occasionally.      You are right,  that a job to do is much better for it than just setting.

Another solution to your wait time on the splitter length is to invest in a better hydraulic pump.  More gpm's will get the job done a lot quicker!  Also, you might want to invest in a bigger reservoir sooner than later.  You small one won't allow the fluid to cool enough and it doesn't hold very much, which means your either changing all the time or causing needless wear.

I will have to see if the GPM is listed on pump.   It seems fairly quick already.   There is not a lot of wait time.  Most of the logs are 20" or less,  so I do have to waste motion in extending the 33" ram for the first log.  . .   but after that I typically only run the ram out another 8" until the log cracks,  then start it reversing (the valve locks in reverse),   I can then usually finish the split by pulling on end of log.  . .  then stop the reverse action by hitting handle,   load another log  and start again.   I am usually not waiting long for the splitter.
I need to check how hot the tank gets,   I never paid attention.   Sounds like you know hydraulics though,   so I will take your advice and start looking for a bigger tank.

SugarMag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarMag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 6:17pm
I'd get a bigger tank right away.  The tank can only be filled half way because of fluid expansion, so that makes what you're using even less / hotter.  

Does your handle automatically disengage on the return stop?  If so, you can probably weld a stop of some sort farther down the piston for the return.  Or even a clamped 2x4 or something.  You're pretty creative.  You'll figure it out.  But get a bigger tank soon if you plan on using it often Wink
No day but today . .
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2012 at 8:16pm
Most of the ones I've seen use a two stage pump like this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200321057_200321057

Northern tool has all the hydraulics to cobble something together.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 4:58am

I'd get a bigger tank right away.  The tank can only be filled half way because of fluid expansion, so that makes what you're using even less / hotter.  

Does your handle automatically disengage on the return stop?  If so, you can probably weld a stop of some sort farther down the piston for the return.  Or even a clamped 2x4 or something.  You're pretty creative.  You'll figure it out.  But get a bigger tank soon if you plan on using it often Wink

I am not that familiar with hydraulics . .  so have a question.  - ->   Is the reason for increasing the tank size only due to heat?    Today is the first time since last year that I hooked up the splitter to do some work.   I split approx 1/2 cord of the nastiest wood I ever attempted.  I wish I would have measured the time,  but estimate 45-60 minutes.   After that workout,  the expansion tank was barely above ambient temperature.   Does this mean I need not be concerned with increasing tank size?  or is there another reason, other than temp, for having more fluid in the system?

I tested the return stop.  When retracting the ram all the way "home",  it did not kick out the handle.    Instead it almost stalled out the Jeep,Ouch  before I manually released it.   Based on that,  I may not be able to automatically halt the ram on return stroke with forced "stop". :(
SugarMag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarMag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 5:05am
Good to hear your not getting too hot of a tank.  Also good to hear your not spending 6-8 hrs on a splitter like I typically do Cry  Usually a splitter is a 2/3 - 1/3 setup.  2/3 for the juice, 1/3 for expansion.  If your not finding a problem with what you got, don't sweat it.  Just put that in your back pocket in case later down the road.  

Good luck with it all!
No day but today . .
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 5:33am
Thanks for the quick reply!!   I found another tank to use,  but with so many other projects I have not taken the time to fit it.   Thanks to your suggestion,  I will always monitor the temp in my use of splitter.  If it ever gets too warm I will make it a point to upgrade.

6-8 hours of splitting?   not me . . .  haha

Thanks again SugarMag!
mix4coal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mix4coal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2013 at 12:35am
We need a video of it in use.
'47 CJ2A # 104985
Bantam Trailer
1953 Dodge M37
1948 1 1/2-2 1/2HP IHC LB
1929 1 1/2 HP SATTLEY HIT MISS

Carpe Diem!!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2013 at 4:02am
Originally posted by mix4coal mix4coal wrote:

We need a video of it in use.

Hmmm . .  I will give it a shot.

I have a plenty of firewood ready to be split.   The splitter has been out of commission since I added the overdrive this past Sept.    Recently I finally installed the PTO adapter to back of OD,  shortened the driveshaft,  cut new hole in floor for shifter etc.   (the OD and adapter added approx. 7" to the back of xfer case)

No videos this weekend though,  the weather is going to be TOO warm.  Smile    . . .  I like splitting wood in cooler temps,    not the 60's and 70's.  . .   Is this January??? Confused
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2013 at 4:20am
This is off-topic,  but wondering if there are any wooden lathe "bowl turners" out there?   This last batch of wood I split was a big maple my father-in-law had cut down.  It was probably 3+ft in diameter at the base,  up to about 6-8ft off the ground,  where it split into several "branches".  I just measured and those are in the 18-24" diameter range.

As I was splitting some of it,  I thought it looked a little like the "curly maple" that a bowl turner I saw using at a craft festival.    I starting thinking that maybe I was splitting some desireable wood. Embarrassed    I set some of the crotches and knarly pieces aside,  in case they might be put to better use than heating our house .Smile

I am not sure what species of maple this is,  but it grew quickly in his front yard. 
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2013 at 7:26am
Maple is used for the back of violins, cellos and guitars. It surely requires some drying and storing. This example is the half of a cello back.  
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
Hunt4em View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4em Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2013 at 12:33pm
Jeepfever,
Most bowl turners use green wood. It turns easier and doesn't chip out or split like seasoned/dry wood. You turn it green/wet then seal it and pray it don't crack or put it in a controlled enviroment to bring moisture down very slow. I like your idea of the log splitter. The mr's don't bark so much if a toy has good use!

John
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2013 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

I tested the return stop.  When retracting the ram all the way "home",  it did not kick out the handle.    Instead it almost stalled out the Jeep,Ouch  before I manually released it.   Based on that,  I may not be able to automatically halt the ram on return stroke with forced "stop". :(

I put a hydraulic cylinder on the front of my tractor to lift a snow blade. The control valve I used is supposed to have an automatic stop but it does not work either. If you figure out what the problem is I'd love to know. 
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2013 at 12:46am
Update on the splitter.   
Our Church recently did a service project to cut firewood for those unable to provide for themselves.  . . I never pulled the splitter on-road before,  but it was ugly. OuchOuch  This splitter was too long and not balanced well. over 45 mph and it would "fishtail" badly.

I cut off approx 1 foot from the end, and moved the wheels back 9".  It tracks a lot better down the road now. Smile

Also added a lunette ring since my '2A has switched to pintle hook for towing.   This is SO much easier to hook up,  and better in off-road towing.

And finally -->  my exhaust prototype. . .   up 'til now,  exhaust fumes could be an issue if the wind was wrong direction.   I welded up an elbow to fit to existing tailpipe,  made up an U-tube to go into soft-top bracket,  and cobbled together some other tubing for a vertical stack.

Early tests are promising . .  no exhaust fumes in my lungs while splitting. Smile

Oh . . and I painted it green.  Wink

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2013 at 12:58am
Note: that exhaust extension is "bolt-on". . . the elbow slips over existing outlet.

Also note: this Jeep has V6 engine,  so the exhaust is not stock.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2016 at 4:19am
I took these photos for another thread,  because I thought they looked cool,  and am shamelessly reposting here.  Embarrassed

This log splitter has worked very well over the past few years, it would be hard to guess how many cords of wood it has split,  for me and others I have helped out.

That cobbled-up exhaust-extension works good.

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2016 at 5:28pm
Thats cool!! Do you have to disconnect the PTO shaft when towing it?
Jay

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2016 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Thats cool!! Do you have to disconnect the PTO shaft when towing it?
Jay

Yes it has to be disconnected  . .   unless pulling in basically a straight line,  (small turns).    I have done that to move it a short distance.   But if weaving thru the woods,  or going down the road it has to be unhooked.

The pto shaft is made from CJ-7 driveshaft parts,   and only has a few inches of telescoping travel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>