Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hood fitment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood fitment
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 1:35am
My hood rubs on the cowl pretty hard. It's been this way for a very long time, maybe always, but it's actually wearing away a bit at the cowl and the inside corners of the hood. I've seen a few CJ2A's that the hood is actually raised up a bit in the back. I wouldn't mind raising mine just so it doesn't rub the cowl, but the holes in the hinge aren't large enough to let me adjust it up, and I don't want to go and hog out those holes. What's the deal? Do some of them just sit higher on the tub?
48 CJ2A Lefty
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 2:48am
Welting, if you have enough clearance.  Mine rubs but no worries in my lifetime.

Ralph
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 3:37am
I added a second set of hold downs at the rear of the hood which eliminated the squeaks and rattles. I'd just like to eliminate the contact so when I paint the Jeep I won't cringe..:)
48 CJ2A Lefty
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 3:38am
I wonder if some good contact cement (3M Super 77 or the like) would hold some strips of welting in place?
48 CJ2A Lefty
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 3:48am
Where is it rubbing on the cowl? The hood could be slightly bent.....also make sure you have the proper welting on the grill so the front of the hood sits up high enough in the front so that it does not over-close.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 3:50am
If you aren't doing a restoration an old street rodder trick is to stick the fuzzy side of some stick on Velcro there.

If by welting you mean the stock type, coated, webbing then that will quiet it somewhat but over time the webbing itself will rub the paint off.....it looks 'natural ' at that point though.Wink

Edited by rocnroll - 21 Apr. 2015 at 3:52am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 4:14am
I just recently replaced the welting on the grill. It rubs inside the radius on the rear corners. 
The velcro might work well. I have some window channel felt with 3M tape on it at the shop at work that might work as well. Thanks for the ideas!
48 CJ2A Lefty
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 4:16am
But, why do some hoods stick up a bit at the rear? I haven't figured out how that could be without some sort of modification...
48 CJ2A Lefty
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 12:25pm
With my Jeeps, they are all different. I believe it has to do with the way or position the rear hinge was welded to the rear. To raise it up some, try a 1/16 to 1/8 inch spacer strap under the hood hinge. Pretty simple to do and try. The brand new MD Juan hood was the worst for fit at the rear. Typical of MD Juan or Omix Ada products.  If you have nothing, that's when they are better. LOL, John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 12:37pm
Tolerances on these things weren't the tightest. Over years of use and things can get looser. Who knows why yours is rubbing but I think I would just try to bent the outer ends out. It will take some creative doing though as that hat channel won't want to move. You just want to make sure you move the ends and not let your bending effect the flatness of the center of the hood. If your hood is in pre restoration shape, you could probably put a car's rear tire on it to get some weight on it and then bend the outer end. I don't think there's enough weight there to do any damage, just put a rug or some cardboard between the hood and the concrete to prevent scratches.
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 12:48pm
The support channel won't let me bend it; I've tried. My hood is in very good shape, so I believe it's the way it should be. I could cut the channel, flatten the rear of the hood, and re-weld, but I don't think it's worth the effort. I guess my only real question was how some fit so high in the rear..
48 CJ2A Lefty
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 2:14pm
Patrick,
With a necessary disclaimer at the very beginning I have a 3B, and there may be some differences that make my opinion moot.  Here are two observations from my perspective.

The hood should not be making contact at the rear.  I feel that from what I've seen, there should be a gap that is mostly consistent all the way around where it meets the cowl.  The fact that yours makes contact suggests strongly, to me, that a PO has already bent your hood inwards.  Yes, even with the channel support the hood can be bent.    I've had to bend replacement and original hoods to achieve a consistent gap.  Granted, we have more side to manipulate a bend on the taller 3B hood but I think this will work with the shorter 2A/3A hood also.  Remove it and rest one side on the grass.  Put your foot on the inside on top of the channel.  Push the hood away from you to bend that side out.  Turn the hood to have the other side on the grass and repeat.  You may have to do this several times to get the right corrective bend (you may also do what I did and bend too far and may have to bend it back in).

My hood has slots on the hinge.  If yours has slots vs. holes for the mounting bolts, you only need to mount the hood with a slight friction grab and before lowering the hood, rock one side up and tighten that outer bolt and repeat on the other side to achieve maximum gap.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 10:24pm
Here's the thing- :) I've owned many CJ5's in the last 20 years, but this is the first flatty I've really been around so I didn't recognize the issue. My hood was bent down on the rear corners. I took it off and laid it on the porch, and a couple carefully placed steps with my foot, it does not rub anymore. Does this look about right?

48 CJ2A Lefty
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 10:35pm
Actually, looking around at pics, it's pretty obvious now..:0 Thanks for the help guys..
48 CJ2A Lefty
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 2:17am
I like the 2nd set of hood latches but purists might choke.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Patrick H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patrick H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 2:21am
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

I like the 2nd set of hood latches but purists might choke.

Maybe, but the purists don't have to listen to the hood rattling on washboard roads. ;) This Jeep is far from a factory resto anyway. My CJ5 got extra hood latches for the same reason.
The latches were straight up and down when I put them on yesterday, but since the hood is a slightly different shape, they got the lean. That is corrected now....
48 CJ2A Lefty
Willy_Hawaii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy_Hawaii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 4:46am
You might be able to try rubber trim for car doors. I am probbly will try it myself as I want to hear just the important squeaks and rattles if somthing else needs fixing. I'm thinking it may be possible to bend or grind the lips of the hoods inner sides. But if the mock up on the sides looks off I may just go with some kind of weatherstripping with the stickside.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 10:50am
You got it right. Just bend it around carefully until it is where you want it to be. I also like the hinge/spacer idea. We rolled ours and the hood was all bent up. I had it off and on many times to tweak it this way and that so it didn't rub. After r&r'ing the hood a few times, I made a plate for the hinge bolts and welded bolts to the plate to make installing the hinge bolts a 1 person job. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>