Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hood Hinge Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood Hinge Question
    Posted: 22 Apr. 2018 at 10:29pm
Developed a new rattle a couple of days ago after I picked up my 3A from getting my state inspection. Noticed it as I left the shop. Drove it on a trail the next day. There was a banging that seemed to come from the firewall. Took it back to the shop. They put it on a lift. Found my skid plate was touching the bell housing. Straightened that out. Still rattled. They bounced the front bumper. The hood was rattling. Looks like the piano hinge may be broken on one end. Ordered a new one from Walcks (hope it is not on back order). Now I am wondering should I use half of the new hinge and leave the welded on piece alone. Or replace the whole thing. Or maybe just use the pin in the middle. Anyone have any experience with this?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:00pm
A photo of the break would be helpful. I welded mine where it was broken.
I'm not sure the repops are identical to original and a half transplant may not work.
BOULDER 48 2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:29pm
Terry is right I doubt the repop would mesh with the original. Your best option if possible is to weld up the crack and keep the hinge welded into the hood.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:41pm
Well, failed at posting a photo. It does not appear broken. But, it is very loose on the passenger side and bangs loudly on rough roads. Fairly tight on the driver's side. I am "assuming" it has a broken section of the rod (pin?) in the hinge or the hinge has somehow widened. At any rate it is noisy beyond my normal noises and I am afraid it could break off on a really rough trail.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:50pm
That's why you see many flatties with an extra set of hood holddowns installed on the back corners.....a common fix.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:30pm
Already have the second set. Just tried using dental floss to see if the rod is still in there. It is. Looks like there is a long shallow groove in a couple of the segments. Wonder if I could hammer it tighter?
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:58am
Could you find another hood and see how noisy that one is?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 12:44pm
Not that many flat fenders around "these parts". Have found a short term fix by stuffing a piece of really dense packing foam under the hood next to the rear hold down clamp. Seems to work but haven't been on a rough enough road to be sure. Will wait for my new hinge to see how it matches the old one. Kind of wonder how hard it would be for a body shop to un-weld the old hinge and re-weld a new one.
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 1:40pm
i fabricated a new lower hinge half from 4130 steel strap and tubing from aircraft spruce.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 10:14pm
Got my Walck's hood hinge (MD Juan product drop shipped from OMNI in GA). Took the hood off. Pounded out the rod. Put the lower half of the new hinge in. Matched up perfectly. It is really tight now. Now I have to find a willing helper to hold the hood while I put the bolts back in. I think this will work. Should mention, I took the Jeep and the new hinge to a friendly restoration body shop. Said he would drill out the spot welds and put the new hinge on for $200. He also suggested I go to a welder instead.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Now I have to find a willing helper to hold the hood while I put the bolts back in. .

Here's a quick tip.. cut off the heads from a couple of longer bolts of the correct thread, screw one in each outer hole.. now you've got a handy locating jig while you get the others started..  don't remember where I heard this (prolly here) but it works..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 5:47pm
Appreciate the advice. Worked great!

By the way, for the record, the MD Juan hinge is an very close replacement. You can use the easy half that just bolts on and leave the welded half alone. Hood is tight now.
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 7:18pm
Any advice on the rear hinge?  

My passenger side hinge is split. Can't really see in the picture, but best to replace or attempt to have rewelded and fixed? (It's cast so can't weld myself).

Thanks

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 7:24pm
Is it split horizontally or vertically? They are fairly easy to come by so I would replace it.

Easy 'buy a little time fix' would be braze it up. It will hold till you get a good one.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2018 at 8:14pm
Horizontal. Clean all the way across. Looks like I can pick one up for about 50-60 bucks if this can't be repaired
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2018 at 4:30am
Dang those things have gone up!

Walck's has them for $41.95.

Put an ad in the Wanted to Buy section of the forum and see what you turn up first though.

(we need to get off this thread anyway.....sorry for the hijack)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:12pm
I might even have one someplace I'd be willing to ship. Seems like I do.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
 Post Reply Post Reply