Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

horn contact brush plate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: horn contact brush plate
    Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 10:08pm
just received my horn contact brush plate for my steering column from kaiser, i expected it to come with the 2 attachment screws and seems it should have a gasket or something to cover the 1/8th inch gap between the plate and the outer tube, anyone know what kind of screw and size to attach the plate to the outer steering column and was there a gasket between the plate and the outer steering column?

thanks dave
vidaliaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 11:06pm
i found out screw size but my contact brush plastic part broke because it doesn't fit against the outer steering column, the is about a 1/8th gap, anyone run into this, i see on kaisers site another guy had the same problem but kaiser didn't understand his question so they didn't give him the answer

dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 12:16am
do i need to grind down the end of the brush to make it fit allowing the plate to fit flush with the outer steering column?
also any recommendations who would make the best quality?  

dave

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 3:16am
. You already said you got it from Kaiser, don't tell me the rest, let me guess - Omix-ADA?   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 11:46am
yep, not sure where they got it from, any recommendations where to order another one? i'm sure I must have to grind down the contact a good bit to make it fit

dave
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 2:49pm
Post in the wanted that you are looking for a good original. I have an extra but am out of town for the weeekend.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 3:57pm
aas you can see the hex contact is seated inside the hex insulator(broken), there is still too much contact sticking down to allow the plate to lay flush on the outer steering column, the insulator broke while i was tightening down the plate because too much contact point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 5:13pm
some how the pic didn't come through, i also posted on the general forum, the pic exists there
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 7:58pm
I'd say make a spacer for the plate and keep the long contact so it will last a really long time.  When it wears enough to stop working, shorten the spacer.  It'll be good for a hundred years!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2018 at 2:03pm
good idea, that's what i'll do, thanks
kup52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kup52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 12:06am
Kaiser willys  did not understand my basic ?s about the brass sleeave on my worm tube and could not explain why my wire did not go though the steering box like they show on their 1 min. video on how to rebuild your steering box .they show the wire  going though the tube and out the bottom.i tried to explain it all  and they did not know,i guess, there are 2 different types. I finally got to this site,cj2a,and got the help I needed. now I know lots on the horn and steering box. thanks everyone.
kup52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kup52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 12:11am
I had to grind 3/4 of it off from Kaiser willy .  it seems like there should be a gasket or seal between brush plate and outer tube ? silicone ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidaliaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 1:12am
i did put a cork gasket inbetween the plate, so far so good
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 1:56am
Ouch "Kaiser willys  did not understand my basic ?s" Confused  Imagine that.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply