Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot starting with Carter WO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepinjase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot starting with Carter WO
    Posted: 23 June 2019 at 4:31pm
I’ve recently put a Scoutpilot rebuilt WO on my L134 powered 2a.  Starts and runs great but I have not figured out the new carbs preferred hot starting method.
So, what are your guys hot starting methods that work for you.
Thanks for the help!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 8:16pm
Turn the Key on push the starter button maybe give the gas pedal a pump.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 11:00pm
I got a rebuilt carb from ScoutPilot in April and it starts by choking on the first start of the day and never again unless it sets for about 8 hours or more.   It has been that way from day one.  
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 2:07am
All of my Willys, once warm, do not need, or like, a pump of the throttle to start. Definitely, no choke!!

I often just kick the tranny into neutral, turn the key on & step on the starter, being careful not to touch the throttle. They fire right up with that. 

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 5:32am
   Give it the old "one-two" on the gas pedal, then hit starter button.

Although: I must agree with Cpt logger, if the idle circuit is working properly the engine should draw fuel for start-up. I am probably just stuck on an old habit of hitting the gas pedal, then starter.

Fuel evaporates very quickly when hot, so the engine for quick start-up likes a shot or two of fuel to give it something to ignite.

The little '46 I restored back in 1984, with Carter WO, seemed to run so quiet, that after a brief stop, I would set my hand on the hood to make sure it was idling, or i'd often jump in, and hit the starter only to have it screech at me Because it was already Running.   _ _ _ which was normally while there were other running vehicles near. :)
And from what I remember that Carter performed very well.

Edited by Greaser007 - 24 June 2019 at 5:38am
swampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 2:15pm
I have an issue with mine as well , doesn't want to idle immediately after a hot start . almost seems loaded up . Clears up after a couple minutes .
CJ2A 1948
YJ sbc fi 37 pit bulls 1987
Jt Rubi 2020
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 3:22pm
A hot engine will heat soak the carb and boil lots of fuel into the intake causing flooding.
Put the pedal to the floor and crank the engine without pumping to clear the over fuel condition. When the engine starts, keep a high idle for a few seconds to clear it completely.
If the engine is allowed to sit and cool the problem clears on its own.
This works for me.
BOULDER 48 2A
Jeepinjase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepinjase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 3:27pm
Thanks for all the help fellas!  Putting the pedal to the floor has been the cure.  She fires right up when I’m doing that while she is hot.
 Post Reply Post Reply