Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot weather jeeping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot weather jeeping
    Posted: 05 July 2018 at 6:48pm
Sneaking down to Moab this weekend for some fun.
The weather girl says it’s going to be triple digit temperatures the whole time.

In your experience jeeping in blazing hot temps, have you found it to be more comfortable with the windshield down and nothing between you and Apollo except maybe a boonie hat?

Or have you found it to be more comfortable writh the glass up and propped open and a bikini top between you and the inferno in the sky?

I think I’m going to run an experiment this weekend and do one day with the glass down. This is my favorite way to run. Gets all that windshield out of your view so you can get the full panoramic effect of God’s beautiful creations spreading out before you.

The 2nd day I’ll run with the glass up and the bikini top on. I prefer not running this way because my view is blocked. Like sitting behind the pillar at the ballgame. I’m also a little bit concerned about running with the glass propped up and only being stabilized by the hinge thumb screw. I’ve never run like that and have no confidence in how it will hold up if I encounter a slightly uneven patch in the road. Smile

Any prediction on what I’ll like best, or experience that you have had?

Edited to take out weird typos and spelling errors (probably not all of them).

Edited by smfulle - 05 July 2018 at 8:00pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 7:14pm
I have no wheeling experience, but it sounds hot either way. Maybe a tractor umbrella to block the sun, but still catch a breeze without blocking the view. Have fun!!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 7:14pm
I'm for the panoramic view god gave us (thank you!).... Enjoy your adventure!...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 7:19pm
Windshield down and big sombrero!  Tongue

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 7:32pm
Windshield folded down/no bikini top equals ambient air temp during slow going, a few degrees cooler when moving.

Windshield up, flipped out with bikini top (on the Jeep) equals shade and a few degrees cooler.

Since you asked for opinions mine is that....shade, windshield flipped full open ( it also helps keep dust off your shoulders a tad)

Triple digit 'feels like' temps here for 2 weeks now......but it's a 'moist hot'.   

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

I'm for the panoramic view god gave us (thank you!).... Enjoy your adventure!...

Lee

Me too but today in Ft Worth it is about 96 and I just put the bikini top on and opened the windshield vent. Much cooler: I'm with Lee though - love the open view.
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 8:13pm
Love the open view as well but the skin cancer gods have never been kind to me.. gotta have shade..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:10pm
If you ask me.... (and you have)  I think you're NUTS either way.  It's kind of like asking if it will be better to pound your head against the brick wall or drywall.

Call me a lightweight, but all my jeep'n takes place between 75 and 85 degrees.  (sure I live in So Cal. where it's between those temps most of the time anyway).
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

If you ask me.... (and you have)  I think you're NUTS either way.  It's kind of like asking if it will be better to pound your head against the brick wall or drywall.

You may be right.
We do plan on trying to get our off roading in as early in the day as possible so that only part of our outdoor experience is in the so-hot-your-brain-boils range.

You have to remember that here in Utah “it’s a dry heat”. Makes it so you hardly notice it.Wink

I think I’d choose drywall over brick, if I had to choose. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 2:33am
yes but you don't have to choose. By the way the heat in my oven is a dry heat as well but I don't stick my head in there too often
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 2:54am
My experience in hot weather Jeepin' is that shade is awesome! Especially out there in Moab where the sun feels really intense to us Midwesterners. If you need an "A-pillar" hoop to facilitate running the bikini top with the windshield down I can hook you up

Enjoy your second of at least three Moab adventures this year!!!
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 3:31am
I was in a parade yesterday with a bikini top and the windshield open. It was in the 90's but bearable.I did linger in the shade of a few trees along the route. Had to race the engine to keep it from overheating.

Ralph
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 5:45am
I was just in Moab last week. It was hot but much colder than at home. Ran the TJ with just the bikini top.
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 5:59am
I happen  to be down  in Los Angeles to see my new grandson and it is supposed to be 115 tomorrow...that is hot , hot , hot for a Canucklehead like me. Living in Rancho Cucamonga temps approached that regularily. I designed a bikini top before Trader managed to equip many members rigs.Unfortunately, it required a windshield --- so unobstructed panoramic viewing is impossible...
Seemed to be a great solution to the furnace we drove in .... tomorrow i drive past Moab on the 15 north to the colder 80's

Edited by misterberry - 06 July 2018 at 6:14am
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 7:39am
Stan, lay that windshield down and jeep as normal.  That’s the way I did it Wednesday on the 4th of July.  Here’s what the truck temp said it was (and no, this wasn’t sitting in the sun static, this was driving out of the area after we called it a day). 

I was having so much fun, I didn’t even notice that it was warm.  Ours is a “dry heat” as well.  Well, that’s not quite true, I noticed it was warm after my knees and legs were getting the color of cooked lobster.😲. But we had a blast!  And Brian, I brought along some portable shade.  Here in my part of Texas, trees are few and far between😉

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 12:01pm
Stan, I'd vote for going both ways.  If you're travelling at speed, drop the top and enjoy the view, and let the breeze keep you cool under your boonie.  If you're crawling slow, then go top up to provide the shade that will save you from baking in your iron fry pan.  That's what I like to do here in the high country.  But which ever way you go, and your experiment is a fun way to add to your adventure, be sure to take photos to share with the rest of us.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 12:29pm
Have you tried the trails in the very nearby La Sals? Was in Moab years ago when it was 104 in town. Drove South a few miles and took the loop road to a high lake side campground. It was 64 there and there was a jeep trail going down to Paradox.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 5:16pm
I just turn the AC to high in the JK--------------

ducks-------------
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>