Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you keep them so long?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2023 at 9:10pm
I'm on board with old-time, its almost a man machine bond, especially if you have put alot of work into bringing them back
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2023 at 9:21pm
Nothing like driving back to camp on a winding tar and gravel road along a mountain stream in a flat fender Jeep with the windshield down, and a cooler full of the days catch of trout to cook up to decadent brown crispiness for supper. I love Jeeps, I love the mountains, and I love trout fried within hours of being caught. 

The smell of a Coleman stove, the sound of trout sizzling in the pan, the warmth of a campfire to sit around for supper, as the sun's rays glint off the water.

How could that ever be boring?
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2023 at 9:58pm
My brother likes to build stuff, not keep stuff.  I like keeping stuff and working on it until it is "finished" then just having it to enjoy when I want to.  Different strokes for different folks.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 7:10am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

You have ADD. Nothing to be ashamed of. You lack the ability to stay focused on long term projects and see them through to the end. You may find doing shorter projects interspersed with the longer ones....works for me.Big smile

Hey Damar

You are so right...been trying to get meds for it for years and I have been told "That it isn't that bad"...

I am proud I rebuilt a 1947 CJ2A top to bottom and drove it a couple of times to work...then I did a 1953 Chevy truck and drove that to work a couple of times too...had a 1968 VW Beetle that I bought as a runner that was fun...gave it some TLC and drove it maybe 10 times...that at least would run down the road at 60 mph...the other stuff struggles to get past 45 mph...

So I will continue to tinker in my garage as I have to stay busy or I go crazy...ADD is not a fun thing at all...people who don't have it don't understand how my brain pings all the time...they call it a "monkey mind"...

Thanks for all the insight guys...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 7:32am
I love working on cars when I want to, hate to work on cars when I have to... The "work on it when I want to" is a means to an end because I KNOW I can work on it so there's no reason reprove it to myself unless I want to drive it.

Said it a million times, if I couldn't drive it... I wouldn't work on it.  For some it's the journey of working on it, and then it's over.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 8:26am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Said it a million times, if I couldn't drive it... I wouldn't work on it.

X2
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

AKWheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKWheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 10:37am
I can relate. I’ve owned many vehicles over the years. A lot of the time, as soon as they are reliable, I’m bored and want something else. 

My 1946 I’m still working on getting on the road is my first flat fender though. It’s different. I’ve never had a good flat fender to drive around, so I’m still waiting to see what that is like. However, I’ve had at least 4 other flatties that I’ve bought and sold since buying my 46. My problem is that I see great potential in a heap of mess. I think I have more time on my hands than I actually do, so I take on big projects. All but my 46 have had to find new homes in order to be brought back to life in a timely manner. Also, when funds run low, the lowest priority projects have to go. 

One thing that helps me is having multiple vehicles. I have a 7.3l F350 that helps my diesel addiction. Every now and then I switch gears and work on it. I’ve converted it to 4wd and continue to tinker here and there. Slowly I want to modify the engine as funds come in (it’s not my first 7.3l). 

I have brought about 4 other vehicles to life since I started my 46. Shorter, easier projects that help me see an end to things and regain motivation. Also, projects help bring in money (only sometimes) to help fund my 46. 
1946 CJ2A
1947 CJ2A
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 11:13am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

I love working on cars when I want to, hate to work on cars when I have to... The "work on it when I want to" is a means to an end because I KNOW I can work on it so there's no reason reprove it to myself unless I want to drive it.

Said it a million times, if I couldn't drive it... I wouldn't work on it.  For some it's the journey of working on it, and then it's over.

My thoughts also.  As for that sickening feeling driving a flat fender

That was snapped 30 years ago.  A lot more white these days but the sickening expression remains the same.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 4:22pm
I find myself dabbling in other cars and projects and then there are the extras that can go on the jeep, they end up as rebuild projects too and you need the jeep to go for parts and coffee.
I also want to use the jeep for hunting ,fishing and a couple of other trips too .
I find I am never finished with the jeep or at least not yet.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
47cj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 4:44pm
I almost gave up on my 2a about 6 years ago. I had taken it apart to re restore 5 years prior and quickly got wrapped up in other projects. Muscle cars, v8 swap in the TJ, motorcycle builds, then theres just life that gets in the way. at some point I decided to just focus on one project at a time and not do any other major builds until that is done.
I still do maintenance on the fleet, rebuild the suspension on the Defender, re seal the running gear on the 5, rebuild the front end on the TJ but keep it to something that can be accomplished within a couple of days once the parts are gathered.

I also have a hard time selling things except motorcycles. The TJ and 2a I bought in '98 and '99
47 CJ2A 2.5L EFI d30/d44 4.88, lockers
70 CJ5 4cy T98 stock
98 TJ 5.9L nv4500/35 spln 9"/HPd30/4.88/
68 M416
62 Scout 80 4cyl 3spd stock
66 Coronet Base 426 4spd Post
93 LR Defender 110 2dr 200tdi
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 7:00pm
Good Afternoon Mike:
It appears that everyone has a different story or reasons why they can keep them so long. My initial interest in jeeps came from my time in the Air Force during the latter part of the Vietnam war.  But they didn't send me to to 'Nam.

In their infinite wisdom they sent me to a stateside tactical unit known as a DASC for 2 years and then on to a 1 year tour of the Republic of South Korea.  I was vehicle maintenance.  During those 3 years 1971-1974 the only vehicles that I worked on, or were assigned to our units, were the tactical, M-Series of jeeps, trucks and various trailers.

They included the M-151A1 -- Ford jeep, the M-37 -- 3/4 ton Dodge, M-715 -- 5/4 ton Kaiser Jeep, M-35A1 -- Duce-n-a-half, and the M543A2 -- 5 Ton Wrecker.  Yes, it was my job to fix them and work on them, but I really loved was driving them!  And we drove them a lot, especially in Korea.

After my time in the service when I returned to college, I just had to have me a jeep -- you know -- a low hooded flat fender one -- just like what I drove in the Air Force!  Riighhtt?  Well not really at that point in time.  What I found and bought was a 30 year old 1948 CJ2A, Lefty that had spent most of its time as a hunting rig.  It ran, drove and stopped and that was all that mattered.  I brought it back to PA from Colorado and left it with my folks while I continued my nomadic adventures for the next 5 years or so.

When I returned to PA to take over the small family business, we dragged it out of the barn, got it running again and did a body off, mostly corrosion restoration, repairing only those mechanical systems that made it safe and reliable to operate, and enough body work to make it presentable.  Since then I have replaced the engine twice, rebuilt the transmission once and cleaned it back up, took off the body a second time,  repainted it back to an original color scheme, moved the spare back where it belongs.  I fixed it up and restored it (What ever that really means) at least twice over these last 45 years. 

Like Old Pappy we belong to a fishing camp up in the north central mountains of PA.  While I am not a fisherman, I cant wait to get the ole 'Willis', as my wife Sandra affectionately refers to it, out on the back mountain roads, yes, down along beautiful trout streams with the top off and the windshield down and locked, for 3-4 hours, followed by the obligatory nap when we return to camp. 

Like all small businesses over the last thirty some years we have certainly had our ups and downs, even to the point that I seriously considered selling the business a couple of times, but the thought of selling the Willis, the M-38 or D-day, never even crossed my mind.  

While it can be a lot of knuckle busting frustration restoring one of these old beasts, which I don't particularly enjoy, I do get great satisfaction when they are done and back in serviceable condition again, which makes worth the time, trouble and effort.  I fix 'em to drive 'em, its just better that way.

And yes, one of those other, low hooded, flat fendered jeeps that I started looking for 45 years ago, finally wondered into my shop about a year and a half ago.  I spent this winter stripping it down to its uni-body.  It is now out at the sandblaster, getting all cleaned and prettied up for reassembly.  I found an ambulance extension for my -- soon to be new -- M-151A1 as I intend to convert it into an M-718.  I need the extra space to haul the 3 toddler grand kids around in, on those mountain roads!  I doubt that it will be on the chopping block any time soon either.

Regards,

Walter

SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 9:01pm
1 word, ADDICTION
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 9:09pm
Keeps me out of the saloon's.
1951 M38
1951 M100
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 10:50pm
MikeC,  I remember your posts several years ago about driving a '2A with modern traffic. Smile

I tend to be on the "drive them" rather than "work on them" side of the scale.   That has always been the case,  but the older I get, the less I want to work on them  (I am moving even more to the drive side)

30+ years ago I acquired Wilson to be able to "mud run" and "trail run" with my family.  It was a decent starter '2A,  but had some serious frame cracks,  and EVERY fluid leaked.   I did a quick "frame off" to repair all cracks/rust,  and put new seals in everything.   

I drove like that for many years until I saw Jpet and others do a flatfender Rubicon run.   At that point I decided to finally redo the drivetrain with parts I had been collecting,  in case they did it again.

Luckily for me, there was another Flatfender Rubicon run in 2018.  I was able to join them in my freshly built 225/SM420/D300/D44/D30 drivetrain in Wilson.   It was an amazing bucket-list tour of Rubicon/Moab/Ouray. 

That was a highlight of my life,  but since then -> Wilson has also been a great "work" vehicle.  For me -> it is a good combination . . .  with the relatively low gears when needed offroad (69:1) and highway gears (3.73:1) to make trips to "town".   (55-60 mph is no problem, and actually quiet) .  Wilson gets put to work on  regular basis, at least once a week.

I will never sell Wilson,  my sons/grandchildren will determine the rest of its life.

Edited by JeepFever - 14 Mar. 2023 at 10:51pm
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 8:26pm
It doesn’t seem like Ive had my ‘42 GPW a long time.  It’s just that my life seems to be flying by.  43 years ago I “had to have” the GPW.  A flattie was the coolest and most practical, go anywhere, do anything Jeep you could ever own.  I bought it.
It feels like I bought it and towed it home only yesterday.  Then went to sleep and woke up 43 years later. It’s still the coolest, most practical, go anywhere, do anything jeep.  
It survived my teens, been taken apart and put back together a few times and I’m planning another refresh. It makes me smile every time I go in the garage. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12