Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How far would you drive your 2A?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How far would you drive your 2A?
    Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 1:35pm
Looking to pick some brains before I take off this summer.   :)

I purchased my 2A back in October. I got the impression it had been sitting mostly unused for quite a while. It was in great shape but needed a lot of heavy maintenance which is what I've spent the winter doing. I put roughly 800 miles on it before putting it away back in December to shake out the rough stuff and repaired as needed. The winter-maintenance highlights being all drivetrain components removed, cleaned, inspected and resealed. Front axle hubs and u-joints stripped and cleaned. All wheel bearings and seals replaced. New master cylinder and brakes. New clutch assembly. New radiator and hoses. New battery and all wiring cleaned up. New AT tires. And of course a bunch of little stuff on the periphery.

This past Saturday I took it out for the first heavy road test which was roughly a 3-hr round trip. I didn't take it too easy on the old girl. I figured if she was gonna break I'd like to know sooner than later.  A couple small leaks developed but not big deal. Seems as mechanically sound as I would expect. 

I have a few road trips I want to take this summer. A few of those trips would be around 4.5-hrs each way with some play along the way. And as silly as this question may be, I'm curious if others take their 2A on long-distance trips.  Let's call it a sanity check to find things I've not yet considered.

I plan to avoid interstates almost entirely. Still has the L134 and 5.83 DANA 25 and 41. Fortunately its had a Warn overdrive installed which helps me cruise about 55-58 mph at ~2,200 rpm.  She runs like a sewing machine at that speed.

Am I crazy, or what?

Kevin
'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 1:58pm
Maybe try to PM a member here....William_cj3b.....

He has done some long distance running. I know once maybe more he has driven his 3B from Pensacola,FL to the Spring Reunion in OH.

I'm sure he could give you some valuable input.

I don't know how often he checks in here though.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 2:42pm
Thank you, rocnroll - much appreciated!
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 3:09pm
I've read a book about the history of the SAS, and jeeps are mentioned many times in the various forays and sorties they got into. This was in North Africa. Not once was the mechanical reliability of the MB's called into question. And these vehicles were carrying out raids that required many hours of driving in atrocious, off road, sandy conditions, heavily loaded with men, armaments and extra fuel, in searing heat. 

I don't believe that your vehicle will let you down because of a long drive. You might get tired because of the driving position, the lack of creature comforts we are used to, and so on, but I don't believe a jeep will suddenly quit after 5 hours because its been driving too long without a break. 

I have dreams to take mine down to Cape Town when it's finished, and around and through Lesotho. Those would be multiple day journeys in excess of 1,000 miles. If it's well maintained, I don't see why it shouldn't just carry on going.
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 3:10pm
I just returned from a 200 mile round trip this past weekend.
Have driven mine several times from So Calif to Colorado and back.
Also almost to the Oregon border and back.
If it's mechanically sound you should have no worries.
Spend lots of seat time behind the wheel and your Jeep will talk to you.
I might add that I've done the Colorado trips with both the F4-134 and V6.
The overdrive is very beneficial.

Edited by flatfender47 - 04 Mar. 2019 at 3:12pm
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 3:46pm
I have to agree that the limiting factor will be your butt! Maybe your clutch leg if there's a bunch of stop and go.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 4:35pm
All really good advice.  I hope I find myself testing for a long road trip in the future. 

My jeep has had failures in the past with little to no warning - mostly due to previous wear/tear and my lack of knowledge to catch it.  A couple of my favorites is the cam gear shearing off teeth (just stopped running.  A roadside check confirmed a tow was necessary)  and I also slung a blade off the fan once (was close enough to hobble on the shoulder to the local jeep collector who had a pile of spares in his back yard - yeah I swapped it out in his driveway).  Stuff is going to happen.

I suspect anyone on the "Alaska Or Rust" trip would have insight on what could go wrong (CFCT folks too!).  I've talked with William extensively and am very impressed with his success.  He has had to get repairs on the road.  He's promised Derek a write-up to include on the 3B Page at some point.  I believe he's aiming for a repeat this coming May.

A list of spare parts and a good phone plan to cover when you're in need of a tow is smart.  Have a b/u when things go south. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 4:54pm
Well, I have seen a few threads of guys trying to drive interstate (like Chicago to Utah and back) etc. and they usually fail. The question is, do you want to get where you are going or do you want to drive the jeep and live with the results. Do you have a recovery plan? Do you have a few extra days to spend stuck somewhere? Extra parts? TONS of tools. Bring 'em all.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 5:27pm
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 5:39pm
You guys are great!  Some of your exploits make me feel like I'm preparing for a trip to the corner store instead of something "concerning".   

I agree with taking all the tools - got 'em packed up already.  And I've considered a few spare parts but truthfully I don't know what that might be except the few thing I'd take to rig something together. Oh, wait, I know ... a couple new oil pan gaskets!  LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 6:29pm
It's funny...I've not undertaken a long distance run as you describe (yet), mostly because of commitments and time constraints.  As I work on things and work the wear and tear and just plain Bubba out I get more and more confident. My 2a just has not left me walking. 

After I bought it I'd put 30 miles on it on a weekend, never straying more than 5 or 10 from home... joy riding Smile... started to stretch things out to where 15 miles out and back for breakfast was routine (30 round trip).  Did my first organized ride in NH, we put on about 50 miles for the day, trails and roads...but there is safety in numbers.  Last summer hooked up with one other flattie and we cruised 35 miles round trip that afternoon, and I never really gave it much thought.

So here's the thing...  I know the Willys is time tested, and they made a lot of them.  I know my work is sound, and my 2a has more and more of it as we go.  I think for me taking it out on a long distance trip at this point is more a function of vacation time than confidence that the jeep would make it Thumbs Up

I just need the time, and the mindset to embrace life at 45mph for more than a couple hours Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 7:09pm
I put a ton of miles on a nearly stock flatty. Granted it was mostly by accident and not well planned. Other than a Odd Fire and some bigger tires, I ran my Jeep as a daily driver for a few years. As I think back, I drove it to trail rides all over New England. I drove it to the beach a few times. Drove it to work everyday. No idea - because the speedo was always broken - but I'd say 5-6000 miles a year as my only car. And this Jeep was in shoddy condition at best. Nothing like some of the beauties you see on the page.

So sure! long distance driving can be done - absolutely. It probably would help just to not know any better! Smile
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 7:15pm
Most of the long-trip breakdowns I've seen reported here and elsewhere appear to me to be the result of a lack of maintenance or a lack of prep. And only get worse due to a lack of knowledge.
  On the Colorado Fall Color Tours we don't go a lot of miles (around 60 each day, average) but we can easily be on the trail for 8 - 10 hours. Yes, we see some troubles, mostly due to, as I said, lack of maintenance or prep. At least we always have someone with the needed knowledge, and usually the needed parts. Most of the jeeps (probably 90% or better) give no trouble but do provide an enjoyable trip. The ones that do give trouble are usually the same ones that did before.
  I would not look forward to a long hiway trip in my CJ2-A, only because of the comfort factor. When I rode a motorcycle a lot, I learned to stop about every fifty miles, get off and walk around a bit, and then go on. I think the same idea would apply to a trip in a flatfender.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 7:41pm
Lots of comparisons to trailrides and fireroads.

Last couple of years at Cheap Jeeps trail ride I (think) I heard we did about 100 mi a day of rolling farmland blacktop and a scattering of gravel.

I would be concerned that these comparisons and the comparisons to SAS jeeps during the war would be different than extended, constant speed highway miles.

Just my opinion, not trying to argue .....I just feel like it's different ....constant highway speed.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I put a ton of miles on a nearly stock flatty. Granted it was mostly by accident and not well planned. Other than a Odd Fire and some bigger tires, I ran my Jeep as a daily driver for a few years. As I think back, I drove it to trail rides all over New England. I drove it to the beach a few times. Drove it to work everyday. No idea - because the speedo was always broken - but I'd say 5-6000 miles a year as my only car. And this Jeep was in shoddy condition at best. Nothing like some of the beauties you see on the page.

So sure! long distance driving can be done - absolutely. It probably would help just to not know any better! Smile

Ha!  Back when I didn't know any better my daily was a '69 kaiser cj5...  same thing, confidence with time in.  I thought nothing of heading off for extended periods of time, from the metro west worcester, MA area to provincetown national seashore surf fishing for stripers and blues, or Hunter, NY skiing (and otherwise).  It goes to my previous post, I had more time back then Tongue...that 5 came back into the home garage HURTING more than once, but never left me walking.  Tools and the right mix of parts were key.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 8:04pm
Back in the mid 1970's my Dad and I went on several 5hr each way Willys fishing trips in the wilds of Maine.
On these trips, we drove on a variety of surfaces- tar roads, maintained dirt, unmaintained dirt, twitch trails (abandoned logging haul roads that offered every kind of 4wd necessary problem) and many times in these adventures crossed severe washouts that took out bridges. We forded flooded sections (beaver dam ponds flooding trail), spun through mud holes and overcame all cj worthy challenges that tested drivetrain, suspension, engine and lower back.
 We never had any reliability issues. Never. If the jeep had fuel it would run.
 We were not what you would consider especially diligent regarding maintenance. I was 13. Dad changed the oil. That was it. 
When it was not hauling us around chasing after speckled trout, it dragged logs out of the woodlot. Not an easy gig by any stretch for any vehicle made for passengers. The thing was indestructible.

Edited by jhg - 04 Mar. 2019 at 9:32pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Jeepinjase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepinjase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 8:22pm
My best friend and I were out on a week long bull elk hunt here in the wilds of Nevada.  We were out for a week and after the weekend warriors left, we didn’t see anyone else out.  We drove the 2a all over the place and one morning we decided to head North.  We drove the 2a for over an hour to get to where we wanted to go.  All of the travel was on rough country dirt roads.  The 2a performed flawlessly and we made it to the spot and back without issue.
Bottom line, if you have faith in your work, the parts you’ve installed, and your ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome, you can take a 2a on any length road trip.
I always say, I build reliability into my rigs.  If I take care of it, it will take care of me.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 9:23pm
Since the title of this thread says "would you" not do you I'll put in my 2 bits.

I am building CHUG specifically to be a long distance runner. I want to be able to pack up and drive 1000 miles or more to a destination then play around for a week or so and drive home.

Granted CHUG is not like a restored CJ-2A or a survivor that has been fixed up. OK fine CHUG is not going to be really like any other Willys. But aside from my hand made pieces everything that make CHUG go down the road and is likely to fall apart is Jeep 1946-1972.

If you have all your systems brought up to like new or like almost new condition I would assume the likely hood of a break down might be a shade less then if you were on the same path with a 10 year old Toyota 4 runner or even newer. As on a new rig there is so much more crap that can leave you on the side of the road. I belong to 2 local modern Jeep Face Book pages and I couldn't even list all the crap that breaks down on them that we don't even have on our rigs to worry about.

Once I have Chug tuned and a few hundred miles under his belt I would have no hesitation to run down the road at 60mph for 8 hours. As far as the engine goes once up to operating temp as long as your cooling system and oil system is in good shape the engine and drive train should run for a very long time.

The last time CHUG was driven on the road was Sept 17 18 and 19th 1976. Chug had been up to that time a Farm Jeep and then dad drove it 28 miles every day to work from 1963 to 1970 it sat around with little use until I started driving it in High school 1974 to Sept 19 1976. During this time nothing but routine maintenance was done to it.  OH I think we changed the starter sometime the summer of 76. That last time it was on the road it was driven from Silverton Oregon to the Alvord Hot Springs on the East side of the Steens Mountain in Oregon including some pretty wild off roading along the way. This trip in three days was approx. 900 miles we had no problems with a Jeep that was still running the original axles transfer case transmission Dad did an engine swap sometime in late 62 or early 63.

Take tools a few service parts a few likely spare parts and have fun is my humble opinion
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>