Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How far would you drive your 2A?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 11:08pm
Since you've stated that you have a Warn overdrive...
Carry the correct output (bull) gear, nut, washer and cover that were removed for the overdrive to be installed.
If something fails on the OD, you can remove the OD, and you can re-install these parts and continue on your trip.

1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 4:21am
I had a 1948 Willys pickup with a dauntless V-6 & an overdrive. It was my Daily Driver for four years. Then I moved from Western Oregon to Western Colorado, using it to carry two motorcycles & miscellaneous tools & parts. All while towing a trailer load of household stuff. It ran flawlessly. Your RPMs match what mine did.

My backup plan was to unload one of the bikes & go get my 1959 Ford F-100 to haul the Willys to which ever end was closest. I know that to most folks having a 1959 Ford as a backup plan is nuts, but hey it is 11 years newer that the Willys! It also made the trip just fine with three motorcycles & a 20' trailer full of shop stuff. It's backup plan was the Willys.

If I still had that Willys pickup, I would not hesitate to make another trip like that with it tomorrow.

Thus, in answer to the original question, I would drive it to any coast in North America from Western Colorado. Yes, I do miss the beach!
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 7:11am
I drove my first 2a, a '47 with 2000cc Pinto motor and Warn OD, daily and from San Diego to Yuma routinely back in the early 80's. Also did a San Diego to Victorville trip.

My current stock '46, not a chance. I think the farthest I've driven it is from Chula Vista to Mission Bay. Too much modern horsepower and knuckleheads to make me feel cozy about long stretches anymore. Nor is it as comfortable.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by kchildress kchildress wrote:

I plan to avoid interstates almost entirely. Still has the L134 and 5.83 DANA 25 and 41. Fortunately its had a Warn overdrive installed which helps me cruise about 55-58 mph at ~2,200 rpm.  She runs like a sewing machine at that speed.

Am I crazy, or what?

Kevin

Crazy not at all...

I drove mine to my job and back...11 miles each way ( I think I did it 3 times before I had a really close call)...2 lanes and some 4 lanes too...I would say upgrade the seating on it...those old stock bucket seats are not comfortable at all...get some decent seating and a 3 point harness would not be a bad thing either...

Good luck and post up pictures when you get going on your trip...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
kchildress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

Since you've stated that you have a Warn overdrive...
Carry the correct output (bull) gear, nut, washer and cover that were removed for the overdrive to be installed. If something fails on the OD, you can remove the OD, and you can re-install these parts and continue on your trip.

I actually like the sound of that, although I don't have the parts on hand (OD installed at some point in the past). Fortunately I know where to get 'em very close by.

Additional spare parts?:  I'm set on to-go tools but I'm all ears if anyone has other suggestions for spare parts for long-distance trips.  I knew I'd make these trips the moment I bought it back in October.  My heavy winter maintenance was all about building in the reliability I'd expect.  Given that, I've replaced everything I considered as a possible liability.  

Right now I have a small bail of wire, enough electrical repair stuff, a couple bungee cords and a couple tie-down straps, spare tire and jack, a quart of oil and a gallon of water. Oh, and that spare oil pan gasket.  LOL
'46 2A #19122, AKA Flattie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

...I would say upgrade the seating on it...those old stock bucket seats are not comfortable at all...get some decent seating and a 3 point harness would not be a bad thing either...

Good luck and post up pictures when you get going on your trip...

MikeC

A 3-point harness is on my to-do list but I'm not sure where to start.  I like the seats that came with it so I don't want to replace either for the sake of the harness. I reckon I'll take it to one of the local race shops and let them guide me.  

Speaking of seats, its all I can do to get my co-pilot out of the passenger seat (Otto, my 8-month old German shorthair pointer).  I've had him since the day her turned 8 weeks old and he's not destroyed a single thing around the house. That was until I didn't take him on the first test drive about a week ago.  He got pissed off and completely destroyed his kennel bed in the 45 minutes I was gone!  Message heard loud and clear.  

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 1:52pm
I don't run to the beer store without a spare condenser...  cap and rotor and a set of points gotta be in that bag as well

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 3:42pm
i really want to do some long wander around NH or VT day trips in the willys.  My biggest limiting factori think is comfort.  But if its back roads sightseeing, i dont see a problem stopping often to stretch the legs and back.   Also think im going to notch the fenders and slide the seat back an inch or 2
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 3:48pm
Cooling: Hoses and fan belt, stop leak, 
Clutch: Clutch cable and clutch rod; threaded ball pivot (for tube)
Fuel: Fuel filter, electric fuel pump, fuel hose
Ignition: Cap, rotor, points and condenser, spark plugs, coil wire, coil
Front axle: Pinion seal, drive flange or locking hub, spindle bolts 5/16" x 1" grade 8
Rear axle: Pinion seal, axle seal(s), 
Transmission: ?
Transfer case: Gasket and seal kit, output gear, nut, washer, and cover
Driveshafts: U-joint, U-clamps and nuts, 
Steering: Tie rod end(s)s
Wheels: Lug nut(s) and wheel stud(s)

Some general comments to consider:

Jeeps don't make good tri pods. Your 4 wheels are the most important items to take care of.
A lot can't happen if you only have 3 good wheels to stand on.

What common part(s) would be hard to source in a one horse town ? (heck, any town nowadays?)

Spare rear axles set up with greased and pressed on bearings ready to install are nice to have.

5/16" spindle bolts are an emergency repair if the spindle bolt threads pull out of the knuckle. You can install these thru the backside of the knuckle and with nuts, bolt the spindle back to the knuckle.

I've left a lot off the list as you have commented on how much work you have performed to your jeep over the winter.

Catastrophic stuff still happens; you just can't plan for that; good maintenance and fix/repair when needed/before you go is best policy.

My last comment is this: crawl under the Jeep with good lighting and just lie there and look at everything, frame, springs, plumbing, etc etc. Repair as necessary; then put a wrench on every bolt and nut, and I do mean every nut and bolt..

Edited by flatfender47 - 05 Mar. 2019 at 10:12pm
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kchildress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

...But if its back roads sightseeing, i dont see a problem stopping often to stretch the legs and back.

You're reading my mind exactly.  These trips are how I plan to spend my vacation days this summer and just take it slow(ish) and easy. And this has been my plan all along - to plan my backroad routes to revisit some old places and find some new.  I'm thinking a short stop about every 50-60 miles aught to do it.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 4:41pm
kchildress,

Love this idea - back roads -way from the rat race.  It is amazing.  It would be nice if you could get a second Old Timey Jeep to travel with you on these outings.  

Be Safe Out There!
Stev

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 4:47pm
Frankly, I wouldn't give it much more thought than a good tool kit. 
  When we all drove vehicles with points and condensers we never carried spares. Never. And life went along and we all got where we were going. But I can see the wisdom in having something like that in your kit because they are cheap and small.
 We never carried extra parts though and we all got to where we had to get.
 Now we are older and worriers. I have a nice and sweet old widow next door whose late husband had three of everything... "just in case". Three car jacks , three hammers, three emergency kits, three raincoats ("just in case"), three  etc etc etc. 

I agree with everyone who trusts these old cj's - because they know the mechanicals of their ride from on hand wrenching and oversight. And what vehicle went through what a jeep went through at the proving grounds? Not to mention some wars and other stuff.

Me? I'd carry a fuel filter.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by jhg jhg wrote:

...sweet old widow next door whose late husband had ... three raincoats ("just in case"), three  etc etc etc. 

Three condoms is kinda optimistic, aint it? LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 5:36pm
Ha Ha. I wish I was sharp enough to have been making that joke all along. But alas, a raincoat was really a raincoat in this case.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
William_cj3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William_cj3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 9:29pm
Hi everyone, my name is William.  I drive a mostly stock flatfender on 1000+ mile trips.  I ignore the pleadings of my family and friends and keep doing it over and over... (this is an addiction support group, right?) Big smile

So, driving a stock-Ish flatfender on long trips:  if you're in a hurry, have inflexible travel plans, don't want to work on a jeep on the side of the road or have a bad back; don't do it!  Otherwise, these things were made before diesel pickups and car trailers proliferated and before most people could afford more than one car.  They were built to be driven, just have reasonable expectations.  

Know your jeep.  Know not only its condition, but how every system works, what the potential failure modes are, how to identify and correct them.  If you've never had it apart, how well can you know its condition?  When i bought my 3B, it ran perfectly.  After a year of traveling (almost 8000 miles ) it broke rings in two cylinders and i found evidence of prior rust pitting in the cylinders.  Be prepared to tackle anything on the side of the road.  You're going to be traveling sometimes off the beaten path where help may be hours away.  Even when help arrives, you will know far more about your jeep than they will.

Carry a full set of mechanics tools, a factory service manual, basic chemicals and extensive spares.  Make sure you bring along a service manual.  Evaluate the risk of failures and cover the highest risks first.  Don't forget specialty tools you may need as well as a multimeter, dwell/tachometer and vacuum gauge.  Did I mention a service manual?

Spares I carry:
  • Ignition - distributor assy. w/ points & condensor, cap, rotor, plugs, one plug wire and coil wire, and coil.
  • Fuel - carb kit, fuel pump, filter, hose and clamps
  • Cooling system - hoses, clamps and sealant
  • Engine - Rings, gaskets, rod bearings, one piston, intake and exhaust valve spring, oil pump
  • Drive train -  gaskets, bull gear (nut, washer & cotter pin) in case of overdrive failure, u-joints, clutch throw out bearing
  • Brakes - one pair of shoes, front and rear wheel cylinder kits, brake light switch, master cylinder kit, 8d copper nails (to temp. block off leaking or failed hydraulic parts), wheel bearings and seals
  • Steering - bellcrank pin and needle bearing kit (I hope to convert to tapered roller bearings soon)
  • Electrical - voltage regulator, one battery cable, starter, generator, bulbs and wire/terminals (including a headlight, I'm still running 6v system)
Even with intimate knowledge of your jeep, confidence in its condition and extensive spares, there are some things that you can't prepare for or overcome on the road.  This is where AAA and/or renting a uhaul and tow dolly or trailer to get home may be necessary.  Be prepared for the cost of 'recovery'.

Plan your trip around seeing new places and having fun.  I've traversed the state of Alabama from S to N and N to S several times in the 3B and never followed the same route twice.  Expect a trip that would normally take 5 hours to take 8 or more.  I try to plan no more than 10 hours of driving in one day, based on a 45-50 mph average speed.  Yes, I run between 55 & 65 when conditions support it, but I'm also driving through towns and stopping for gas and to stretch every 100 or so miles.  Be courteous when driving on the roads!  Make it easy for people to pass if they feel the need or pull over occasionally when on 2-lane highways to let traffic by.  It's much less stressful this way.

William in L.A. (NW FL)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2019 at 9:45pm
 Hug[bow][rockon][cheers]Thumbs Up

Edited by mbullism - 05 Mar. 2019 at 9:53pm
tokarev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tokarev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 12:51am
Ok I have one question...Where do you guys stow all these spare parts in the truck?
You can never have to many firearms and military vehicles
William_cj3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William_cj3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2019 at 1:12am
Not necessary, but it helps to have one of these...

William in L.A. (NW FL)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>