Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How long to keep Paint?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long to keep Paint?
    Posted: 21 Nov. 2020 at 8:25pm
So in the process of cleaning up the shop. I laid eyes on the whole shelf of paint products used in painting CHUG and it got me wondering how long should I keep this stuff and is there a preferred method to assist longevity of said stuff?

The Paint is single stage Acrylic Urethane I also have reducers thinners hardeners Epoxy Sealers and Hi Build Primers. All in the same family and brand (Kirker)

I have the color put into smaller cans so there is almost no air in the can. Not so with the hardener etc.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2020 at 9:15pm
i have stored many types of paint in small sized glass jars filled to the brim then screwed tight. then stored them lid down. nothing has ever dried out.

grocery store salsa jars are the ticket.

sounds dumb and too cheap to believe, but it works.

certainly there may be some types of paint that will react to the lid inner coating. that may be an issue?
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2020 at 9:46pm
Not true with all paints but I’ve used paints that were well over 5 years on the shelf.
I prefer to store the paint can upside down so that it’s easier to see
thick sludge that forms over time.
The sludge (solids) needs to be mixed back in.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2020 at 12:35pm
I painted mine with single stage urethane and did what bight did. Put it in a glass container. It's been 5 or 6 years now and it's still good. I use it for touch ups now and then. You don't need to add hardener for touch ups. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply