Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Many of Us Really Wheel Your Jeep??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 4:20pm
Certainly nowhere near the level of some of these other posts but significant for me. Two days ago, this is my '47's inaugural venture off road. Just a short run to see if it all worked. Probably the first time she has been off road in twenty years.

Photo is northeast of Sparks/Reno, NV. Just five minutes from my driveway and I'm in the hills.

Sorry, site just loves to turn my photos up side down.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 4:49pm
Looks like you fell out. Maybe you should add seatbelts?
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 4:52pm
Ha, actually, I do need to install some. Unfortunately, everything I see looks like it belongs in a Kia and not a '40s Jeep.

Apologies again, really don't know what the deal is with this site and photos.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 5:27pm
I wheel my 47 off road once in a while, it is to let all the vehicles that I have been holding up for the last few miles to pass me LOL.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 6:00pm
I used seatbelts for a 57 chevy (which my mechanic had on hand for his project car). They look good (to me anyway).
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 10:06pm
No place to go around here anymore, closed and over regulated. We can still run on some of the beaches but they're closed this time of year and there's to damn many summer people. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Just five minutes from my driveway and I'm in the hills.

Just 5 minutes?  Must be nice!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2017 at 11:20pm
5 minutes from my driveway is the Atlantic Ocean, and it's closed to 4 X 4 traffic. 
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 9:20pm
My off-roading yesterday near home. Followed a trail that led to a power line I had visited from the top. Made an interesting trip up. Loose rock and quite steep at the top. Fun for an unusually warm late November day. Made me wonder what the power company uses to get up here.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 10:22pm
Back when I worked for a power line company the big trucks were running old Army running gear. 10X10 stuff and almost all of the rest were 4X4 PUs. If you chain up an old 10X10, you can drive almost anywhere.
uncamonkey
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 10:30pm
It is hard to actually see how steep this grade is, photos being what they are, but the road up was badly eroded. In one particularly bad spot, there was a track with about a 4 or 5 foot deep rut in the middle. Made me wonder how I would get home if I slipped into it. Don't know what 10X10s are but assume they have a lot of driving wheels (20?).
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 12:50am
Used to be able to run power lines around here and a gas line right-of-way. Its ALL posted and gated now. Not much left here in PA for a quick Saturday afternoon trip or something. Got a "pay to play" place not too awfully far from here but, it's not how I got into this JEEP thing and I'm not much for it. Unfortunately, it seems that this is what it's come to. 

Glad you got to get out and enjoy the hobby of JEEPing.  
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 12:52am
Actually 10. 8 in the rear and 2 in the front. If I remember 1 was an old REO and the other was a GMC. All axles were powered. Look up things like the Red Ball Express movie. Basically the same running gear but these had a modern engine in them.
uncamonkey
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 12:58am
I want a deuce so much. Can't afford one and have no where to park one. Still want one. Gotta have the winch though. Must have item.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2017 at 8:12am
Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

I want a deuce so much. Can't afford one...

I used to get "Military Vehicles" magazine and I was always surprised at how inexpensive a deuce could be.  I didn't have the money, but they weren't that bad--15 years ago...
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 2:37am
I still think they are reasonably priced for what you're getting. That's a lot of truck 5,6,7 grand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 3:56am
Yeah, now if I only had the bux...  Smile
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 4:01pm
I feel your pain, brother.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>