Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Many of Us Really Wheel Your Jeep??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carsandguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

I like the restored jeeps, but I also have a soft spot for USING a jeep. IMHO everyone needs at least two jeeps. One to show your restoration skills and another to drive like ya stole it. If I spent a lot of time on a tub making it perfect I wouldn't be wheeling it but there are plenty of less than perfect tubs on driver jeeps. Off road is where the Willys really shows its stuff, and if you haven't had a chance to offroad in a flatty you don't know what you are missing.

I like that picture with two wheels in the air and no driver.... Mike, are you RC'ing your 45 now?

I have wheeled my GPW in New Hampshire and it is a LOT of fun. Especially when you drive right by higher dollar rigs having trouble. In Texas near me I have yet to find any place where I can freely drive around, so if anyone knows of trails near Brownwood or Abilene let me know. I do know I can drive to the coast and find some beach running. It would be great to find something we could go to as a group if we ever have a get together in Coleman. Of course that might require me to have something other than the DJ in driving condition. Pintojeep or my 47 both need finishing.

For now I have to be satisfied with the occasional right seat rides I get in Colorado. The Colorado Trail rides are bucket list items and not to be missed if you have an opportunity.

There is a new (or newer) off road park in Tolar, Tx which is about 1.5hrs from Brownwood I believe.  One of the guys we go to Church with owns it, but I have not been there yet.  He said there are trails for all types of vehicles from easy to Oh No!  Hoping to have my 2A back together soon and will check it out. 

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2013 at 1:05am
Awesome stuff guys! I'm daily driving my jeep still. I haven't got it ready for Rausch Creek yet. Need to build my rear 44 and 30.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2013 at 1:35am
I am planning to start, does that count?
I've always used my jeep for checking fences and setting up for hunting season and love to play in the snow (if they haven't salted the road already). But I've always been afraid of breaking or abusing a 70 year old Jeep, and have never really taken it somewhere with the purpose of wheeling.  Especially since I have a toyota truck that is a pretty serious rockcrawler. But as I've gotten older and busier and the hard core wheeling has gotten farther away, I just don't have time for that. The Toyota isn't fun to drive on the street and to go someplace challenging for it is a 5 hour drive. So I've decided to go simple and back to basics by selling the toyota and doing some mild wheeling with the willys. I have a few upgrades planned but nothing major. I want it to still look reasonably stock.
Mike Gardner I've always loved your jeep and the way you use it! I probably won't get that crazy with mine but I love the pics.
JeepFever - Really loving the Tellico pics. That brings back the memories for me, I went to college a couple hours from there and that used to be a regular trip for us. I really miss that place. I've got some respect for anybody that ran it with open diffs!
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2013 at 2:26am
I am really blessed to have a Saturday (red) and a Sunday (tan) Jeep:
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2013 at 1:32pm
I remember when I was building my 2a I always looked for people wheeling and pushing their limits. That was my biggest Motivation. Mostly all I could find were people from other countries. That's what drove me to take photos and videos of my jeep. I always love a clean and correctly restored Willys but what really drives me crazy is us pushing them to their limits. ... Or maybe our jeeps pushing us to our limits. Lol.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2013 at 1:50pm
Nice jeeps johnnybravo cant wait to.see them again.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2013 at 7:54pm
Here's a pic of my Blue Mule during a stream crossing on one of our Northern Colorado Runs.  We made it through dispite having water piled up more than a foot over the hood.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2013 at 10:54pm
That one might have made me pucker a little bit.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2013 at 11:03pm
I am not there yet, soon.  I stopped by the local place that fabs roll cages.  I am on the calendar for a month from now.  As a secondary benefit the owner knows tons of local trails, from easy to donate your vehicle after.  I am planning on a couple of learning excursions very soon. 

Edited by 52 M38 - 21 Aug. 2013 at 11:24pm
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2013 at 3:16pm
Would this qualify? I took my bride for a ride in the woods and found the soft spot in the trail. She recorded my OOPs for all to see.

I planted it REAL GOOD< over the front differential and bumper resting on the muck.

No worries, I had the "Gray Mule" out in short order with my come along.

Edited by 3-48s - 22 Aug. 2013 at 3:30pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2013 at 6:25pm
Yup, I wheel mine all of the time, just look at all of the trail rash...really, just look...closer, you can see it... right there...its there, you have to look real close...Wink

Edited by Doug Timme - 22 Aug. 2013 at 6:27pm
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2013 at 6:43pm
my TJ Rubi is the hard core wheeler.  I'm not going to hit anything difficult In the willys, I'm just going to stick to mild trails and enjoy the scenery.  :)
2a #40500
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2013 at 3:56am
It's hard to find really interesting scenery on mild maintained trails. You need to go deep in the canyons among the rocks, mud and sand to find the interesting things. Sometimes you even have to stop and climb the canyon walls.

Life is only as good as you make it.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2013 at 2:38am
Great pics guys!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Overland Diesel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overland Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2013 at 3:23am
1947 CJ2a -Kubota V2003 turbo diesel
1989 Jeep Wagoneer 3.9L Cummins
1985 Toyota BJ60 3b Diesel
w114kav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w114kav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2013 at 3:25am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Not sure this is considered real "Wheelin" but last winter I did to a bit of snow bank bustin'. Tried to see how far I could get up into this mountain trailhead parking lot. This is how far I got. I might try it again this year since I have added an Lock Right locker to my rear end.  I have a trip planned at the end of the month. If it actually happens I'll put up some photos. (If I remember to take any.)

STUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Lol my friend ...  I have been victim of this...
Keith
My Project
wesfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2013 at 3:22pm
Awesome thread.

I'm hosting an all CJ run

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/1st-annual-old-dogs-trail-ride-ny_topic29629.html

Mine is not up and running at the moment, in the process of doing my brakes. I bought it last Friday. Plan is to keep is bone stock and wheel it.

(sorry, link not working. Please take a look in the event section. )

Edited by wesfab - 25 Aug. 2013 at 2:34pm
1946 CJ-2A #43658
I got the Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2013 at 12:06pm
Some mud some snow....On my property last year

47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>