Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How tight for drag link to pitman arm and cotter p
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How tight for drag link to pitman arm and cotter p

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How tight for drag link to pitman arm and cotter p
    Posted: 24 July 2021 at 5:46pm
Ok, I have two questions.  First, how much do i twist in the end piece with the slotted X in it to capture the ball on the pitman arm?  Just snug, or as tight as I can twist it with a screw driver?  

Second, If i snug it up, i can sink the slotted X cap deeper than the cotter pin holes.  I assumed the cotter pin is supposed to go through the slots on the X cap.  If I tighten it up, the cotter pin is floating above the cap.  If the cap was to back out, it would still be captured by the cotter pin.  Is this ok or is everything I have simply worn out?
Chop chop
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 6:09pm
Paragraph O-7 in manual.
To adjust the ball end, screw the plug firmly then back off 1/2 turn. To adjust the steering arm end, screw the plug tight and back off 1 turn.
This assumes the seats and springs have installed in the proper orientation as shown in fig. 269.
BOULDER 48 2A
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 7:44pm
Terry, thank you for the response.  Just so I am clear, the pitman arm ball goes in between parts #5 & #8, correct?
Chop chop
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 7:46pm
Chop chop
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by bosshoff bosshoff wrote:

Just so I am clear, the pitman arm ball goes in between parts #5 & #8, correct?

No. The pitman arm ball goes between numbers 3 and 10. The bellcrank ball goes between numbers 2 and 3. Some of the currently available kits have wrong parts that allow the plug to screw in too far. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by bosshoff bosshoff wrote:

Just so I am clear, the pitman arm ball goes in between parts #5 & #8, correct?

No. The pitman arm ball goes between numbers 3 and 10. The bellcrank ball goes between numbers 2 and 3. Some of the currently available kits have wrong parts that allow the plug to screw in too far. 
BW 

Let me guess...Omix? Hope everything is going well with you, Bruce. Gonna miss you this year at FCT...too far down the alternate list
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 9:41am
Thanks Bruce.  I’ve had this 46 for twenty years.  Never took the steering apart.  It looks like the only OEM components I have on the pitman arm side of the drag link is the slotted end cap.  Originally i thought the others might be jammed into the other side.  Looks like they were tossed a long time ago.
Chop chop
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 9:53am
I'd add that don't overlook that springs condition. I've had quite a few that were broken or cracked, which allowed the plug end to screw in too deep or let the ball get loose in the drag link. 

omix Ada-------don't buy. Junk. G503's kit is nice. Just bought and used it. It's correct. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 10:09am
To top it off the chi com kit plugs have the slots too shallow to accept the cotter pins. Angry
I hear that Joe DeYoung makes a nice kit as well altho I have not used it. 
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 2:16pm
Thanks Oilleaker
Chop chop
 Post Reply Post Reply