Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to carry String Trimmers and Pole Saws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to carry String Trimmers and Pole Saws?
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2022 at 9:12pm
My son acquired some land a couple years ago that requires a lot of trail maintenance.    Wilson is a working '2A and called into service for this task.   I am trying to come up with a way to carry some of the longer tools required.   Looking for ideas . . .  if anyone has been doing this for years.   No sense "reinventing the wheel"  :-)    Until now,  I have been setting the "base" in the rear,  and put the shaft on front seat (or thru the windshield in case of pole saw).   Several "cons" to this,  biggest of which -> I can carry no passengers.

I was first thinking of somehow mounting something similar to a "gun rack"  on the side,  like seen on lawn contractor trailers. It has to be easily removable,  and no new holes in original tub etc.   Also,  some of trails are tight,  so can not stick out too far.

This is my prototype of a pole saw holder.   I actually really like this.  Weight is supported in back,  the shaft is resting on a bracket attached to windshield frame, in foam,  so has lots of give for windshield movement.   The shaft is high enough that a passenger can squeeze in.    That is a 5/16" rod with (2) 90deg bends.  (currently duct taped to windshield).

If I only needed to carry this battery pole saw,  I would be done.   I could refine this prototype  . . BUT  . .  I would also like to carry a fairly large gas string trimmer at same time.  

edit:  just noticed that Wilson's Rubicon damage is very visible in this light.  LOL

Edited by JeepFever - 16 Mar. 2022 at 9:36pm
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2022 at 9:31pm
Interested to see any good ideas.  I'm always looking for a better way to carry my brush cutter.  I now use my ATV with those Koplin rubber coated gun racks.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Greyghost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2022 at 9:35pm
for long things I use a length of poly drain pipe tied to the roof rack/cage 
somethings allow me to run a cap on each end or just the one.
if something sticks out, its usually held in place with a bungee cord, for fast access
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 5:03am
If the trailer is always with you, build or modify a "ladder rack" for it. Make it low enough that you can easily reach the tools. This way you can carry passengers and also haul wood or dirt.

Using my "Bubba voice"; Heck, unless it "needs" to be pretty, the rack does not even need to be made out of metal. Wood works well & is more flexible than steel. A few minutes using small trees or branches, some baling twine or wire, and a chain saw will get er done.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 10:10am
The first thing I thought of was using the stock top bow sockets.  Same concept you floated about how lawn care racks are made.  Would need to carefully place the tools to keep from interfering with trailer when cornering - and an offset to clear the rollbar/windshield frame.  Too many tools could eventually set up too much stress on the sockets though.

I think the same thing could be set up in the trailer with a frame sitting in the bed and extending up - would need to keep the back end open to load/unload that mower (or have a quick removal brace to help support when driving around).

I like the idea of wood or PVC but metal could prove better (especially if eyeballing the stock bow sockets).
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 8:30pm
Thanks guys for the ideas,   I literally thought about each one.  (even a chainsaw created log solution) LOL

In my opening post, I show the pole saw with a "hook bracket" on the windshield frame,  and really liked the simplicity.   Then I also found out that my string trimmer would set on quarter panel, shaft running outside of rollbar,  and the string end in the same bracket as the pole saw.   Nice fit.     I was thrilled . .  this turned out so easy!!  It was very secure. 

Unfortunately,  it only seemed great in the driveway,  and on some wide trails.

Today I was navigating a narrow trail,  and was constantly watching to make sure I did not hook the pole saw on a hanging branch.   I would really stink to hook something and bend the shaft.  Ouch

Back to the drawing board.

I mounted the tire/gas rack,  in case that gave me some new mounting options, (no new holes in tub) but that did not really give me any other ideas.

Then, I found a folding-table frame in my steel scrap pile,  1" tubing,  perfect fit for top bow bracket mount.  This is what I came up with so far:

What I like about this:
  - the cutting end of pole saw is further back and lower
       (plus,  if turned upside-down,  the chain bar is less likely to hang something)
  - the string trimmer is better protected, compared to hanging outside the rollbar.  even inside it is not too difficult to load/unload (this position only works because I removed the string guard a long time ago,  don't like them,  plus I rarely use a blade)
  - this table-frame gives possible options for mounting other tools on it and/or rollbar

Amazing how well that table frame fits.  Smile    The table end (top) fits nicely in the top bow bracket,  and the "leg" (bottom) rests nice on the tire frame.  (also rests nicely on tailgate,  but I do not want to drill any holes in that. 

I need to mount the tire,  to check for clearance issues.  I might want to mount tire and all tools at some point.

Edit: one downside,  the string trimmer shaft is lower than before.   However, I was still able into get into passenger seat with some contortions.  I am sure the grandkids will have no issues.  LOL   

Edited by JeepFever - 14 June 2022 at 11:45pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 8:51pm
Hmmm . .  as mentioned above,  I just noticed this might cause some clearance issues with mower handle in a right-hand turn.  I don't always have the trailer attached,  but often enough that it is a concern.

I have always loaded the mower backwards for heavier tongue weight,  Maybe the weight distribution would be fine if loaded front first.   It would be easier to load that way . .   going backwards is a pain.  LOL
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 2:20am
Nice! KISS.

I love these simple fixes using recycled material. I especially like that you had it all on hand.

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 9:00am
I don't like the idea of anything hanging out the side for tight trails.  What about taking something like maybe your table frame legs, or something longer... Something that might look like a 3 foot wide, 5 foot long ladder, and setting that in the back. Like butted up to the back of the front seats, and resting on the top edge of the tailgate so the whole thing will be at an angle going back and up, then setting or strapping the saw and trimmer to that.  It could even be easily made from scrap lumber.  

The downward angle should keep them inside pretty well, easy to access from either side, easily secured for when you get a little wild, nothing hanging out the sides of the jeep, still able to tow your trailer. Maybe even mounting some U shaped mounts like the Koplin gun racks or just some pegs or something.  

Just another idea to throw out there.

Edited by Scratch - 19 Mar. 2022 at 9:07am
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 8:08pm
I agree that I don't like anything hanging out the side.   Nothing in this current design extends out past the quarter panel or fenders.   Granted,  in an off-camber situation,  the tools would be outside a vertical plane from Jeep body.    ie. if close to taking out the windshield,  or crashing rollbar into tree,  the tools would be in danger.

I was blazing new trail today,  and it is as tight and off-camber as any I plan to carry tools on.  No scary moments at all  (the original design was scary on same trails).   I am probably going to proceed with this.

If I understand your suggestion,  it might restrict access to the "bed" of Jeep.  That would be an issue,  because I store lots of other things there,  and need easy access.  (chainsaws, tow straps, snatch blocks, gas, oil,  face shield,   etc. 

Edited by JeepFever - 14 June 2022 at 11:48pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 8:34pm
Design as used today.

Not really obvious in photo,  and as mentioned above,  nothing extends outside a vertical plane extended up from quarter-panel and fenders (and the pole saw is no higher than windshield,  easy to keep an eye on,  if things got tight) .   I was much happier with it in the trails today.

If anyone noticed the bag,   I discovered another con of the design  (in addition to mower handle clearance),  the polesaw could be an head knocker.   I never hit my head,  but came close twice.    I plan to keep the bag on board.  :-)

Another view of bag, LOL but also to show the temporary mount to tailgate.  I made a wooden block to keep the table frame centered,  then pull down with bungee cord.    I no longer need the spare tire carrier,  so removed it.

I plan to eventually narrow that table frame,  but want to use it more first,  in case I think of something else I might want to mount to it.  

Edited by JeepFever - 19 Mar. 2022 at 8:37pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 8:54pm
It is sometimes handy to use the tailgate as a work bench.  I assumed that I would have to take the "table frame" off.   To my surprise though,  I could leave in on the Jeep by just rotating it on the bow bracket . .  a swing-away mount.  haha

Edited by JeepFever - 14 June 2022 at 11:54pm
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 1:37pm
i have been contemplating this topic for a long time and not come up with a workable solution. long brush cutters do not do well sideways in the back of the Jeep.

these cable clamps do work well to go around the windshield and the aftermarket top bow (80's vintage BesTop bow). i did add bike tire innertube for the smaller diameter bow tubing. there is no interference to opening the windshield, no drilling any holes, no welding or gluing needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NV8OPFO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these (below) are the Bigg Lugg tool holders themselves that i am going to try out. they work great on a pants/tool belt. not certain they will be great for this application. they need to be cut off as shown to reduce the springy nature. i will also velcro strap the tool in just to ensure no "bounce out". the test hook i used was an old one i had that the ball fell off. i ordered new ones for the final application.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N94BVTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cut down version:

this is too springy:

the cut off piece:

will get out with the "prototypes" in a bit and report back.

Edited by bight - 18 May 2022 at 7:58pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 6:02pm
back with some progress. this system is working fine. made it out and back over very rough terrain without losing the brush cutter. now i just need another brush cutter, front mounts with controls and speed racer attacks the dastardly pricker brush!

while that idea cooks, here is the progress. i will post again when i receive and mount gen 2.

the hooks also swing back out of the way when not in use.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Greyghost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 10:52pm
thats a nice clean and non-destructive solution Thumbs Up 
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:22pm
got the final versions installed and you could easily put on another set to stack tools:

and they flip back out of way when not being used:

Edited by bight - 22 May 2022 at 8:23pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 6:26pm
open the windshield all the way and run them through so they don't hang out. should be about to add a simple rest with piece of rubber hose or pool noodle etc. 
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 8:10pm
Not a string trimmer, but here's another solution

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>