Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to carry String Trimmers and Pole Saws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 11:39pm
I have not had to take the polesaw to son's property for a while,  so this has not been issue recently.   I have been taking string trimmer,  by setting power head in rear,  and string end on front passenger seat,  clogging up both areas.  :-(

Bight:  clever design   :-)

WindyHill:  I did not think about opening glass further.  That would work,  but I have to travel down public roads to my son's house,  not far,  but it would be wind in face. . . .  Although ->   that might be a good way to cool off in return trip. LOL

tamnalan:  folding entire windshield down would be easy solution,  but would not work for me.   I have a canvas set of "pouches" on mine (in the bow storage area),  it is too dark in photos to see (except for the dust mask).  If I folded my windshield down -> my cell phone,  wallet, winch remote, mower keys, granola bars, mask, etc would dump onto the hood. Ouch   haha   Also,  my non-stock seat backs might be too high.   
This might be great solution for anyone else reading this thread,  thanks for idea.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 9:45pm
So now . . .   you two - > (Windyhill and tamnalan) got me thinking. . . . What if I did flip the windshield out further,  AND remove the passenger seat back?  (not hard to do)  ie. Keep It Simple.

I think I might like some version of this.  Smile

Today,  I did some work on son's property.  It had rained yesterday,  so the main trail/road to field was sure to be too muddy,  so I opted to take an alternate route that is less muddy,  but very tight.   With the tools tucked in like this,  there was no danger of snagging them on a tree etc.

I rarely would ever use the passenger seat on one of these work outings,  so that is not too big of disadvantage.      Concerning the windshield though,   one more "click" extended -> was not good.  It placed the bottom of frame directly in my line of sight.   I will try two "clicks" next,   I am sure the visibility will be better,  but will probably be full force wind-in-face,  while on road.  Fortunately it is not too far on the road from my house to my son's.

This bungee arrangement was purely quick and dirty,  to get to work fast,  but it actually worked out well.  In this photo,  it is hard to see the front bungee,  but it is hooked to the windshield latch.  I put some pipe-insulation foam on tailgate and windshield frame,  but think I will try WindyHill's suggestion of pool noodle,  for something thicker. Smile

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 10:25am
Ron,  I really like the table leg mounted into the rear bow mount.  It might be possible to modify the table leg set up so, it picks up the front and rear bow mount on the passenger side to make a side rack. It could be anchored to the roll bar with a bungee lashing.    Top outer edge of the windshield could be used as a third anchor point.  This will not be a setup for your tight trails but for normal use it would be great.

I have a couple of Silvopasture projects that require pole saws and bladed weed trimmers to be taken into wood lots to do similar work.   

Other gear that needs to be stored:
Chainsaw: Troy's short bed extender works great for a chainsaw + fuel, chaps, helmet.  The only problem is it might make is impossible to use the pintle style hitch because of clearance between the extender and the pintle.  It would not be an issue with a ball on the draw bar. 
Shovel:  I still have not found a place I like for a traditionally Jeep shovel.  I don't really like the low side mount military style with the handle strap.  
Woodsman's Pal: still looking for a permanent home in the Jeep.  Some place handy but out of the wayErmm (if that is possible).

First world problems.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 3:13pm
some images of brush cutter, chainsaw tie-down, and imagine all the room for more stuff with passenger seat removed. and rotopax water on board in case i dry out.

Edited by bight - 30 June 2022 at 3:18pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12