Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to Fuel Inject Willys L134 with Holley Sniper
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Fuel Inject Willys L134 with Holley Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2021 at 4:13pm
I watched the video this morning and glad to see a working system on a L134. Great job!
GrandpasOld50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2021 at 1:08am
This project is awesome! Nick, you did a great job and I really appreciated the video. 

Not to hijack the thread, but reading through this and watching the video made me wonder if some of those out there that put tbi 4.3's in their jeeps would have stayed with the original motor if the Holley or Hamilton systems were available when they decided to make the swap. 
'50 3a with f-head motor
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 9:16am
Update, update, update!
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 12:28pm

I took all of your video suggestions and spent the last week performing tests of the Holley Sniper EFI vs carburetor. The first section showcases the EFI on some pretty extreme angles - any steeper and I’d be on my lid. Second was fuel mileage. Third was 0 to 50 mph times.

Things I’ve learned this past week:

1. Battery voltage and charging system is key. If your Jeep cannot keep up with the electrical demands of the Sniper, the Sniper itself will perform poorly. When my battery was fully charged with a good charging system, I had no problems firing up the Jeep with smooth idle. When the battery was a low with inadequate charging system, I had to crank the Jeep over a few times before it would fire. It would also stumble at idle as the coil wasn’t receiving necessary voltage to operate properly.

2. The air cleaner horn kept falling off due to the Sniper having a very short upper adapter lip. I fixed this by using a zip-tie to hold the passenger side of the horn down. Not a great solution, but it worked for the video. This is my only real complaint with the Sniper design.

3. I didn’t see or feel any performance gains with the EFI, which isn’t surprising. The Jeep L134 engine was derived from the Willys Whippet which was introduced in 1926 by individuals who went to college in the 1910’s. This is well over 110 years ago. Simply put, the L134 isn’t efficient due to the head design – most notably the intake and exhaust manifolds. You can find some ice/sand racing Jeeps that have improved upon this and doubled HP just by adding custom heads with more efficient airflow. With a stock L134… is what it is.

Carb vs EFI

As I mentioned in my YouTube video, why have running water in your house when you have a well pump outside? Why internal combustion when steam works? Simply put: A complex EFI system is more reliable than carbureted in terms of startup, mpg, and overall driving characteristics. A screwdriver will never out-tune a computer. Yes a carburetor is easier to fix with a screwdriver, but it simply doesn’t possess the computer power of learning fuel maps, altitude, temperature, and driving characteristics into its fuel map at every operating second.

The downsides of an EFI setup is that it’s extremely picky. If your Jeep isn’t 100% up to par, you’re going to have troubles – which is a pain. I have quickly found all the flaws on my Jeep.

Final Thoughts

Although it’s frustrating to find issues that would work with a carburetor but don’t work with the Sniper, overall I’m happy it’s making for a more reliable setup. Personally I will never go back to a carburetor on my modified Jeeps. I hope this post doesn’t sound aggressive towards carbs, it’s difficult to convey tone through words. I love the Sniper so much I want to scream its name from the rooftops. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Yes, I broke both right side axles and you got my generator (didn't work well for you, sorry). I have been thinking of either picking up four spare axles or just driving better and going with the flow if things break (and I enjoyed the repair adventure as much as the trail). However, even if I had all the stuff I needed I would have been out of luck without an equipped shop to get the rear axle out of the differential). If the efi quits you probably could replace it with a carb on the trail. I might try the Sniper on an L-161 that I am about ready to throw away.

Steve I am forever grateful for your alternator! I think about our adventure to “O’Brien’s” and the mountains of Ouray quite often. It was a fun trip, and the challenges make it memorable. The happily ever after stories don’t ring with me.

Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Amazing stuff, Nick!   You do excellent work.
 These mods remind me of a time I stumbled on a National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association event in Indiana.   Old tech firearms, all nicely built in modern unobtanium metals on precision CNC machines.

A fascinating juxtaposition of the old and new.

Thanks! Mixing modern technology to our vintage Jeeps provides a unique interesting challenge.

Originally posted by GrandpasOld50 GrandpasOld50 wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but reading through this and watching the video made me wonder if some of those out there that put tbi 4.3's in their jeeps would have stayed with the original motor if the Holley or Hamilton systems were available when they decided to make the swap. 

I completely agree. However, I must admit I’m jealous of jpet’s 4.3 because the L134 just doesn’t have the horsepower I desire for on-road driving. For off-road I never feel the need for a bigger engine.

Edited by Nick_ - 13 Dec. 2021 at 12:31pm
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 3:00pm
Well, how about that.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 8:40pm
I loved my time in Ouray with Nick. Still think I owe someone from the the Rubicon trail group who bought my 73rd birthday lunch at what used to be O'Briens at Ouray. 
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 9:09pm
 Nick, couldn't you put that cross piece you took off of the throttle body back on and drill a hole in the air horn and use something like a button head  bolt to hold it on for a clean look?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 5:58pm
Here is a bypass adjustable regulator that might work for the emergency carb scenario. 

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Regulator-Universal-Injection-Accessories/dp/B099MCCTQX/ref=asc_df_B099MCCTQX/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=548769735040&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4056426386938475713&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027290&hvtargid=pla-1435242699519&psc=1

Nick, your videos keep getting more professional and informative.  Great job!!ClapClap

1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 3:36am
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

I do find the "what if it fails" argument a bit amusing but understandable. Does everyone keep a spare axle shaft for each side of the rear and front end, alternator, distributor, coil, wheel hubs and keys, carb gaskets and jets, clutch linkages, water pump, starter, mechanical fuel pump, etc in their rig at all times? Not necessarily. I was almost taken out on the Rubicon because my brand new alternator failed me. Something so simple.

I'm a little late to this thread, but I love the innovation and the advancement of the hobby.  I, too, despise carburetors and am a huge fan of EFI.  Someone once told me that carbs are just a controlled fuel leak (eventually, into the bottom end).  Yep, they are.  But, they work and I've been fortunate enough to get them back to home base with my trusty screwdriver.

I was much like you, Nick, when I was first designing the restomod for Gus, back in the 80's.  I wanted to keep the L134, T90, D18, but have fuel injection (later in the 90's), electronic ignition, power steering, tilt steering wheel, disc brakes, coil springs, etc. etc.  This was all before the interweb and most of my info was gleaned from magazines and actual catalogs.  Some of these mods actually made it into the rebuilding of Gus, but with the discovery of this site and the friends I've made along the way, Gus has slowly regressed back to near "stock" form.  Gone are the large wide floatation tires, tilt wheel, and electronic ignition.  I've got nothing against all those mods, and I love to see them, but for me, closer to stock is where it's at.

As an added benefit, when I wheel with fellow stockers or locker-stockers, we can share parts.  I realized when I was the only one in the group (at that time) running electronic ignition, if I had a problem, I was on my own...or at worst, on the end of a rope being pulled home.  Everyone carries spare condensers and points, so I swapped back to that.

So, to answer your question:

"Does everyone keep a spare...":

axle shaft for each side of the rear and front end? Yes, both rear shafts and both front shafts
alternator? No, but now I'm thinking about it
distributor? Yes, complete electronic distributor as well as extra points and condensers
coil? Yes, as well as extra ballast resistors 
wheel hubs and keys?  Hubs, yes.  Keys, no because I don't have keys with full-floating axles
carb gaskets and jets? Yes, as a complete separate carb
clutch linkages? Yes (both sizes), as well as extra brake rods
water pump?  No, but I'll look into it
starter?   No, because I can be pull/push started or hand cranked
mechanical fuel pump?   I have an on-board electric fuel pump as backup to the mechanical
etc? Yes, MB type removable tie-rod knuckle arms, tie rod ends, complete spare leaf spring, axle u-bolts, front and rear driveshafts, DD steering rod, steering u-joints (both single and double cross), regular u joints, spindles, radiator hoses, wheel bearings, drive flanges, transmission output gear (in case my OD craters), fan belt, pinion yokes (for diffs and transfer case), and of course, nuts, bolts, and tools to replace all these parts.

"in their rig at all times?" 

Not all the time, but I had all this and more when we were on the Rubicon.  I carry extra parts proportional to the distant from my support rig and my house.  When I'm close to home and close to my support rig, sometimes I don't even carry a spare tire. Big smile

Keep up the good work, Nick!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 4:52am
Well said Rick.

You speak my language... Jeep.
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 5:21am
Ha! I'm still working on the spare tire thing.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

.... I carry extra parts proportional to the distant from my support rig and my house....
This part is well said. I carry “some” spare parts in the rig. Basically the stuff that I’ve broke in the field. I carry u-joints but not spare drive shaft unless I’m on the rubicon. In that situation, I carry a long drive shaft that I can cut to length and weld so that anyone can use it. I also carry plate shackles as bushings cause they are a universal shackle that anyone can use and I’ve loaned it out quite a few times. Plate shackles make a great clamp for a broken leaf spring.

My truck, or “support rig” is full of parts at all times. Drive shafts, axle shafts, starter, etc. most stuff is under the back seat. Many gasket sets ... all missing one gasket .

To paraphrase what Rick said, out in the field you work together and share, at least we do. To get back on topic, as more people, do the Holley sniper, it may not be necessary for everyone to have a backup. A network of friends can share one or two till the new one comes in from back order.   This doesn’t help in the field but it does solve the potential long lead time for a replacement.

Edited by jpet - 30 Dec. 2021 at 9:45am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 9:49am
Also keep the camping gear in the “support rig” That way when the call comes to do some emergency wheelin’, I’m ready to boogie.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 11:58am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 12:34pm
I'll answer the questions

Does everyone keep a spare...":

axle shaft for each side of the rear and front end? No my Rear is a Dana 44 30 spline flanged I can't imagine 80HP being able to break any part of it.
alternator? This is under consideration But any parts store in North America would have one that fits
distributor? Yes, I am working towards this
coil? Yes,
wheel hubs and keys? Not applicable to my rear axle
carb gaskets and jets? Yes on jets a couple gaskets but I have a new Weber DGV so
clutch linkages? Yes (both sizes), as well as extra brake rods
water pump?  Thinking about this I do carry a spare fan belt
starter?   No, because I can Get one in a day from most any autoparts store as I am running a Toyota starter;
mechanical fuel pump?   Yes but its electrical
etc? I run Tom Woods drive shafts so only carry a spare U Joint. I will be carrying some Tierod ends,
I carry spark plugs and a full ignition tune up Radiator and heater hose and clamps Nuts bolts washers electrical repair items including head lights tail lights and all fuses and relays. And yes a complete tool kit for what I might do on the trail

"in their rig at all times?" Still working on this

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 5:52pm
Sorry guys I've been so busy I haven't commented on the thread - but have some great news.

Holley's Article on my Jeep:
https://www.holley.com/blog/post/how_to_install_sniper_efi_onto_the_willys_go_devil_four-cylinder_in_a_flatfender_jeep/?fbclid=IwAR1JCo2aR_u4l0x6ZUDkesVb_2jEfviTZiaciWQHMOOvLumiEqZA_d3MnOk

In-Take Pump Setup

I can't believe it, but the Holley team watched my two YouTube videos and reached out to me. They loved the detailed installation and seeing their product on the L134. I mentioned my very near future plans to install a stock fuel tank and wanted to go with a returnless in-take pump setup like a modern vehicle, but needed something that can run at almost any angle even if the tank isn't full. We are currently working on piecing together a Jeep setup that should work for just about any extreme condition.

I'll keep everyone updated as this progresses.

Brennan and I talked a bit back and forth on Facebook about in-tank setups and provided some good recommendations. I spent a lot of time researching different solutions such as the Aeromotive Phantom, tanks.com PA series module, cutting up a factory GM pump from Autozone, etc. At this moment, none of them look as affective as the Holley Hydromat. Our fuel tanks are very short and wide which puts us at a disadvantage to product selection. Most people won't need to run their Jeeps on a quarter tank at 60 degree angle, but I'd sure like the ability. Anything to prevent the pump and injector losing pressure is a big plus for longevity.

Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Nick, couldn't you put that cross piece you took off of the throttle body back on and drill a hole in the air horn and use something like a button head  bolt to hold it on for a clean look?

This is perfect! I'm going to make the modification this weekend.

Rick and Mark your posts were an interesting read. Fuel injection in the 90s? Speaking my language!

Edited by Nick_ - 06 Jan. 2022 at 7:54pm
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2022 at 6:07pm
Wanted to share an neat little article Holley made about the Submarine: https://www.holley.com/blog/post/this_wwii-style_willys_can_conquer_the_toughest_trails_with_the_help_of_sniper_efi/

At the moment there are some crucial parts for the in-tank fuel pump setup that are on backorder, so I haven't been able to try it out. As for producing the Sniper adapter itself, we are working on some improvements over mine with the linkages and throat size. It'll definitely be worth the wait.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2022 at 12:40am
That's pretty neat Nick. Recognition is always nice.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>