Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to Install a Monroe Lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Install a Monroe Lift
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:35pm
We recently missed out on obtaining a Monroe installation manual.  Today, going through a project folder I found a copy.  No idea when we got this.  In any case, it has been scanned and is available here -

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2021 at 5:49am
Thanks for posting this. Was debating restoring mine and reinstalling on Old Ruby.  Now I think I will!LOL
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2021 at 11:41am
Originally posted by DesertDog48 DesertDog48 wrote:

Thanks for posting this. Was debating restoring mine and reinstalling on Old Ruby.  Now I think I will!LOL

Great news.  I hope you have seen the 1949 movie about the lift.  It will really make you want to get that restoration done - https://www.farmjeep.com/revolution-in-farming/

Barry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2021 at 11:03pm
Thanks Barry. That makes me wish I had lived back then and had a Willys and Monroe dealership!! I'll be restoring and installing mine.
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2021 at 11:30pm
That's great!
Do you happen to have a "NEWGREN Lift Installation Manual" available????
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2021 at 11:51pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2021 at 12:04pm

Thanks Barry. That makes me wish I had lived back then and had a Willys and Monroe dealership!! I'll be restoring and installing mine.

The movie is one of the best infomercials I've ever seen.  Monroe, in part because of the lawsuit by Bantam stock holders over the management of Newgren, turned over all sales and marketing of the lift to Jeep right after the "Revolution in Farming" ad campigan.  There are other films that show the lift in action (a few even used footage from this movie), but nothing as informative as this.

Barry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2021 at 1:58pm
Barry, thanks for your interest and preservation of all the history of this and the farm Jeep. I plan on doing some research on this end also. I live in Butler PA. My wife's late uncle worked for Bantam and was in historical picture of the first Bantam jeep. Another thing that might turn up some Jeep history is my 48 CJ2A was bought new by Gledhill Road Machinery in Galion OH. They made snowplows, road graders, and other road maintenance eq. They used it to plow and pull a road grader around the plant for many years. After bugging them for 36 years they finally sold it to me about 6 years ago. Most of the equipment they made was for bigger municipal trucks. 
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2021 at 8:35pm

Barry, thanks for your interest and preservation of all the history of this and the farm Jeep. I plan on doing some research on this end also. I live in Butler PA. My wife's late uncle worked for Bantam and was in historical picture of the first Bantam jeep. Another thing that might turn up some Jeep history is my 48 CJ2A was bought new by Gledhill Road Machinery in Galion OH. They made snowplows, road graders, and other road maintenance eq. They used it to plow and pull a road grader around the plant for many years. After bugging them for 36 years they finally sold it to me about 6 years ago. Most of the equipment they made was for bigger municipal trucks. 

That is a great Jeep story.  If you haven't read  Paul Bruno's book "Project Management in History: The First Jeep", I think you would enjoy it.  It is written as a text book, but gives some real insight to Bantam and the people who developed what would become the Jeep.

Barry
 Post Reply Post Reply