Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccstelmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hubs
    Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 2:20pm
HiYa:
I have a pair of mint hubs that came off my cj2a parts machine.   They operate by pulling two levers out of their nests, rotating them, then putting them back in the nest.  No name on these hubs.  The parts machine I took them off of did not have axels with threaded ends.  The machine I'm putting them on does
Can I use these hubs  without swapping out the axels?

Chuck   

ccstelmo
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 3:17pm
Depends on how tall the hubs are. Will the nut and cotter pin fit under them? 
Back in the day, Bubba would cut those threaded ends of the axles to install short hubs, but I wouldn't recommend it. That nut controls the end float on your axle, but lots of guys did it.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 3:32pm
+ 1 on what Stan said, however I would add, think of it as an opportunity to upgrade your axles. Much better u-joint style axles should be compatible with those hubs.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 4:23pm
Sounds like you have Dualmatic hubs. Tall to use with threaded axles are 2.25in base to top and short are 1.75in.

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

ccstelmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccstelmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 11:22pm
OK.    Thanks to all.  Saves me some head scratching.
Fortunately I have the tall hubs, and they are the Dualmatics that Bruce sent a picture of.  Since they are the tall ones, and I took them off my parts machine that has threadless axels, I'm assuming they were the wrong ones for that machine.  I lucked out.

I mentioned they are mint, but they hardly had any lube in them.  I'm thinking this was an oversight on the part of someone and they should have lube.  What lube?  Axel grease? Bearing Grease? Lubriplate?

Chuck
ccstelmo
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2021 at 12:39am
If you need any replacement parts for the dualmatics search timCJ2A for his items. Replacement gaskets and of most important is the bolt tabs. They keep the bolts from coming loose. Make sure set the right torque value 25 ft pds 

As to lub check out this link. Basically no lub. 

Edited by Bitz - 04 Sep. 2021 at 12:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply