Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hubs
    Posted: 15 June 2022 at 2:25am
Hello

I’m new to the forum. My initiation is in the general section of the forum.

Here’s my first “official” post so to say. I’m looking for a good pair of lockable or free wheeling (summer) hubs for my CJ2A. It has the threaded end axles which I don’t want to butcher.

Someone out there who can help?

Best regards
Klaus
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 9:12am
For sure you don't want to cut off the ends of the axles as some suggest. It is what controls end play on the older axles. 

Finding locking hubs to fit those axles is difficult and when good ones like the older Warns do show up they can be pricey. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 1:21pm
Mine had threaded axles… rather one threaded and one cut off (I do not know why). I put Warn locking hubs on it. A little pricey but maybe cheaper than the vintage Dualmatics. 
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 8:50pm
We’ll, let’s say I’ll try first to find a set which doesn’t force me to cut the threads. Summer hubs would be welcome, too.
If I’m not successful, I still can butcher the axles.

Later
Klaus
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 10:09pm
Pm sent.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 6:45pm
Butchering the axles is not a good idea. Depending on which of the three types of axle joints you have it can be a very bad idea.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 12:20pm
Definitely won’t. Don’t worry. Not in a rush so I’m sure I’ll find the right hubs
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 7:55pm
Pretty simple to go with later axles. They are plentiful and your hub choices open up dramatically. You could pull and shelve your threaded ones 
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2022 at 10:24am
Hello

Still looking

Best
Klaus
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 9:59pm
I pulled the axles from a '66 CJ5 Dana 27. I also snagged the 10" brakes. They all bolt right on with minimal fuss. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 11:58pm
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2022 at 6:59am
There are 2 variants on the dualmatic - short and tall.  You need the tall ones for the thresded axles.  
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 9:35am
Hi Guys

Still looking. Summer hubs would also do …

Thanks for checking your barn

Klaus
BavWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BavWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 5:55pm
Still hoping to find a set here in the forum.

Thanks for looking
Klaus
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 6:17pm
Just keep looking, they will show eventually. 
Freewheeling hubs are not such a huge improvement anyway.
They only function to keep the front axle shafts, ring /pinion and propellor shafts from turning. No big increase in power nor fuel economy is noted. They are actually undesirable when off road.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 7:41pm
Locking and unlocking hubs in cold weather will almost guarantee problems. The grease in them gets real stiff and the gear set will not engage properly when locking them. I told all my farm and ranch customers with four wheel drive to leave them locked in during extremely cold weather because the grease will solidify giving you an incomplete mesh...put a load on them in cold weather and they will damage gears.

I agree with oldtime. Ol' Red is equipped with drive flanges and always has been since I've owned her. 53 years and counting.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply