Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hueston Woods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by ricksjeeps513 ricksjeeps513 wrote:

The 2021 Willys Jeep Rally is now in the record books. We did a lot of pre-show arrangements to try to get as many activities as we could in this year's Willys Jeep Rally.  The Covid19 restrictions were dropped on June 2, 2021, so up to that time we had to work under those restrictions.  We could not have the picnic due to social distancing mandates, and the banquet was moved to a larger room.  

Our demonstrations crew had been at the farm site weeks ahead of time tuning up the equipment and mapping out the trial ride and clearing brush and obstacles.  The creek was at a good level then, and all was prepared for the demonstrations and trail ride.  Then on the Wednesday and Thursday before the show, we got a total of more than four inches of rain.  The crew did try to set up on Thursday, and they all got soaked and hypothermic as a result.  We could not rut and ruin our hosts' farm land trying to put on the demonstrations.  The creek was out of its banks and the scenic off-road trail ride had to be cancelled.  We were able to put together a modified trail ride.  Oh, well, there's always next year.

Mother Nature did give us two beautiful days on Friday and Saturday.  Many Jeeps were on display and we even gave short demos with some of the working Jeeps.  There were vendors on site with NOS, new reproduction and used parts.   The Lodge provided a nice selection of eats at their food tent.  

The banquet on Saturday evening was well-attended.  There was a tribute to the memory of John Ittel in the form of video interviews that his grandson had compiled during his grandfather's lifetime where John talked about his life-long interest in Jeeps and anecdotes of his experiences involving time on the farm and Jeeps.  John's widow, Phyllis, and his son and the son's wife were kind enough to attend.  Barry Thomas presented the results of his research into the history of Jeep implements, which included a formerly lost film made in the 1940s.  The presentations were enjoyed by all.

We did our best to put on a quality show in a world that had been turned upside down for the past year.  We appreciate the support of everyone who attended.   We are already planning next year.  We hope to reinstate the Friday picnic in some form, the demonstrations and the trail rides.  This is a lot of work for our small crew, and anyone who would be interested in helping out in any form for any amount of time should contact Rick at 513-423-8724. 

We hope to see all of you at the Willys Jeep Rally on June 3 and 4, 2022.

I agree with everything Rick has said.  All things considered, this was exceptional show.  Except for my presentation.  I had an emotional melt down after watching the John Ittel tribute.  John was my friend, mentor, hero, and idol.   I sincerely apologize to all those in attendance. This was a special evening and I had what I thought was a fun presentation.  What they saw was in no way a representation of the quality of this show.

John and I shared a special memory about one of his Jeeps being in an art museum exhibit.  You can read about it here - https://www.farmjeep.com/2012/10/14/the-art-of-the-farm-jeep/ ; When he told the story in the video, I simply lost it.  So I’m glad that Rick has provide a means for me to explain my behavior.

The presentation was based on the Monroe movie from 1948.  Footage from this movie has appeared several times, as late as March 2020.  I had intended to show how Willys would continue to show old, discontinued models, even when introducing new ones.  You can read about it here -https://www.farmjeep.com/movies/

Over the two days of the show, I met new and old friends, gathered material for several Farm Jeep posts and saw some amazing Jeeps.  I also saw sharing of technical skills as non-running Jeeps were brought to life, and I had my oil leaks diagnosed.

I know next year will be even better.

Barry

https://www.farmjeep.com/
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2021 at 11:13am
Barry, I wasn't there but just wanted to say....don't sweat it, John was a fine man. His memory will live on as him being just that and a very kind person, I might add.

You had the opportunity to be friends where I only saw him at Reunions.....cherish that, I know you will always keep his friendship close to your heart.

If you showed emotion that only proves you care deeply about something....no need for apologies.

Take care and cherish the memories. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12