Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane Florence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane Florence
    Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 12:54am
The hurricane is bearing down on the south snd mid-atlantic coast. This is shaping up to be a devestating storm. Sending thoughts and prayers for all of you in the Carolinas, Virginia and Maryland. I'm in northern Virginia, well inland. We will get upwards of 8" of rain and a lot of wind, but nothing like the coastal regions. My son, DIL, grandson and a lot of in-laws live in Hampton, Va. At least some will be evacuating and coming here to stay wity us.

Best of luck to all. When possible, let us know you are safe after the hurricane passes.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 3:43am

Two storms,  two nieces.    One of my brother's daughters, in the Navy, took a hit from typhoon in Guam today.  Waiting to hear results from that.   I am sure she is safe,  but pray the locals are not hit too hard.

Another niece (wife's sister's daughter) is currently in Florence's path,  just north of Wilmington, NC.    They are inland about 20 miles,  but still might suffer some damage.   Hopefully minor.

Steve,  like you,  we are expecting lots of rain and some wind here at home.  
Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 4:39am
I have 2 friends in North Carolina. One in Roanoak Island in the Outerbanks and one that just built a new home in Carolina Beach last year, when he and his wife moved from New Jersey to retire. Where we live in New Jersey, right across the street on the Raritan Bay, there was 4 feet of water on the property during hurricane Sandy. We did not live here at that time. We were in this town but a higher elevation. I hope to never see damage like that again.I wish everyone well. Batten down the hatches. 

Glenn
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 11:33am
The mother of a couple of friends lives down there and my friends went out there to clean up her place after a big storm. I hope she suffers little damage from this one. Interesting woman, she was ranked number one for womans skeet a few years ago.
uncamonkey
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 7:53pm
I’m just east of Charlotte, but know some people with houses on the coast. Not a lot they can do but wait until it’s over and see what they have left. 
Storm panic has set in here too. I went to Lowe’s last night and they were selling generators as quick as they could roll them out. I hear stores are selling out of batteries and tarps now. Seems a bit much, but I keep some extra on hand all the time. Most people anymore don’t plan further than a few days out, and I think it makes them susceptible to the media hype and panic mentality. 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 4:18am
After work today,  I did a test-fire of our small generator.   Last time it was used by my son, he could not get it started at the end of 5 days of his outage.  . ..   Maybe because low on oil?    There appears to be a sensor checking for that.   I added some oil, and it fired up on first pull. Smile

Just now,  checking on weather forecast.   Most recent predictions are that main energy will be south of us here in central VA.  . .   So glad to hear that,  but then that means someone else might get hammered. :-(
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 12:13pm
I put the bikini top  and winch on mine in case its needed for storm recovery duties. Got the chainsaw out , topped off its fluids and tested it out. Water jugs filled, kerosene lanterns filled and flashlights ready.  My daughter-in-law and grandson came up from Hampton, my son is waiting until this afternoon to decide if he should come up or not. With the projected path now turning in a more southerly direction, Hampton may not be hit as bad as they thought earlier.  But those to our south be get it worse. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 12:42pm
I can feel the fear with this. I never have experienced a Hurricane. I deal with high winds---LOL, 50-70 mph, hail, white out winter storms, power outages, 20-40 below zero, heavy spring rains, possible but rare tornados, fire, smoke, but what you guys have coming is serious. People seem to always wait until the last minute to do things. When they decide to, it's too late. They will have to learn the hard way. 

I wish you all the best of luck and protect yourselves!
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply