Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am new here, this is my new jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am new here, this is my new jeep
    Posted: 01 Jan. 2022 at 10:11pm
Hey! I am new here. Have been looking for some time, but only recently acquired my first jeep. I hope it is OK to post this and you won't be offended by the high hood. I've been wanting to get a flat fender for years, kind of like the look of the 2A better, but couldn't pass on this opportunity.

I got this jeep from the daughter of the original owner who acquired it new in 1956 (not sure if he got it new, or from someone almost new. The title that was signed to me was from the 50s). He used it for some time during the winter in PA to get around in the snow, and then retired it to live (and work) on his farm plowing snow and mowing. Odometer shows about 35k that are in theory real. Mostly stock except for the plow (the plow was gone, but the attachment was still there)

Mechanically is pretty sound, starts right away, all gears work, low and high works, and it stops. Tub is pretty rusted (in all the places you would expect). I've been debating between repro tub or repair. I feel bad throwing away history, so I will try to repair before deciding.

Here are some pics of the keep the day I got it:

The top was original, so ripped in several places and not salvageable (except for the frames)

Edited by TheOwl - 01 Jan. 2022 at 10:15pm
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2022 at 10:19pm
This was my first repair. The generator wasn't charging, even after replacing the voltage regulator. So, I took it out and rebuilt it. It did pass the motoring test when I took it out, so I wasn't very hopeful, but somehow it now charges.

The generator as it was:

All the parts out and cleaned. I electroplated the conducting parts in nickel and the rest of the hardware in zinc to prevent rust:

And the finished product:

Edited by TheOwl - 01 Jan. 2022 at 10:21pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2022 at 10:24pm
Very nice indeed. 
Don’t throw anything away.
The canvas alone is invaluable as a pattern for that specific era.

Edited by oldtime - 01 Jan. 2022 at 10:26pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2022 at 11:54pm
Good lookin' jeep!  I like that top!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 12:54am
Welcome to the site.

I don't think the tub looks that bad, I would certainly fix it.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 1:01am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Very nice indeed. 
Don’t throw anything away.
The canvas alone is invaluable as a pattern for that specific era.

I did save the canvas for the pattern, the doors, and all the hardware. It looks not too hard to reproduce... once all the rest is done though
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 3:11am
You can get repop Data plates for the Generator if you want.

Edited by Mark W. - 02 Jan. 2022 at 3:13am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 5:48am
Welcome aboard, nice jeep!

Well done on the generator. Not many people are willing to tackle a rebuild like that. I've rebuilt a few of them and have a youtube video series on it. A proper rebuild like that will provide many years of reliable service.  

There are a lot of vintage jeep guys in PA and several different IFFC patrols. It would behoove you to hook up with one.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 8:50am
That’s a good looking Jeep. If you haven’t transferred the title yet, in Virginia if you ask they will mail the old title back to you after they are done with it, it will have a void stamp on it but it’s still neat to have.

Edited by 48willys - 02 Jan. 2022 at 8:53am
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 9:33am
Welcome!
That body looks pretty darn good to me. Not sure where you want to end up with your Jeep, but if it were mine, I’d repair it. It’s in much better shape than where I started on mine. Have fun with it.
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 11:38am
Welcome from western PA. Looks like a good Jeep to start with. Great group here to help with any questions and problems. Nice work on the generator. Your Jeep's lucky to have a new owner who will keep it going and bring it back to life!
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 12:07pm
Them 3Bs are just butt ugly. MHO
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 2:40pm
Welcome to the site. Nice looking jeep!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Welcome aboard, nice jeep!

Well done on the generator. Not many people are willing to tackle a rebuild like that. I've rebuilt a few of them and have a youtube video series on it. A proper rebuild like that will provide many years of reliable service.  

There are a lot of vintage jeep guys in PA and several different IFFC patrols. It would behoove you to hook up with one.

Steve, your videos were a great resource. I watched them all through the rebuild process. Thank you for making them!

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 4:05pm
Thanks - Glad you found thrm helpful. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by DesertDog48 DesertDog48 wrote:

Welcome from western PA. Looks like a good Jeep to start with. Great group here to help with any questions and problems. Nice work on the generator. Your Jeep's lucky to have a new owner who will keep it going and bring it back to life!

I think this jeep spent most of its life out of Philadelphia. I bought it there too. I used to live in Pittsburgh, but moved to upstate NY recently.
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

You can get repop Data plates for the Generator if you want.

I saw those and was tempted. But, I don't know how to remove and replace that style of rivets, so I passed on trying for now. So much to do with the rest.
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 4:25pm
Thanks on the comments on the tub. The picture are from the pretty side. The passenger side is rotten away, the floor is gone and the toolbox is pretty damaged. Fender wells and rear floor are also quite beaten up.

In any case, I started trying to make some panels to replace the rotted passenger side. I made some molds with plywood and hammered. The part below is a test piece that I also used to try to teach myself to butt weld, which isn't going great. I am using a flux core welder from harbor freight. I probably have to get a better welder.

For the panels with straight lines I built myself a small break with L steel profiles. It works pretty well. I also 3d-printed some finger with a less steep angle in the part that makes the bend, so the bends come out rounded. They attach with magnets to the L profile

This is the panel I made with the break. I am pretty happy on how the drain came out. For that one, I 3-printed a die to press with the shape of the drain (the white thing in the picture). I was really surprised it worked out. I was expecting the 3-d printed material to just crush trying to shape metal, but it survived pretty well and the shame came out awesome (in the back I just grinded a bit to get rid of the sharp edges).

Now I just need to figure out how to weld those in. Any advice is welcomed.

Edited by TheOwl - 02 Jan. 2022 at 6:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>