Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am new here, this is my new jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 6:55pm
Your panel forming is good, stick with it.

The limitations of the flux core setup will be apparent when you start the welding process. A proper MIG or TIG will give much better results. And practice, practice, practice on scrap before ever touching your tub. You will thank yourself for it.

If you want, please refer to the Body Shop Tips thread in the How To section, or see my Parts Jeep Trail Build thread in the projects section where I detail much of what I did during the same repairs.

Good luck!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2022 at 7:05pm
Nice work. I think you have the skills to get your jeep the way you want it. Metalshaper has some good videos on YouTube and panels can be purchased from a number of vendors. But you appear to be having fun making your own.  So keep having fun whichever way you go
Mike in AZ
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2022 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Your panel forming is good, stick with it.

The limitations of the flux core setup will be apparent when you start the welding process. A proper MIG or TIG will give much better results. And practice, practice, practice on scrap before ever touching your tub. You will thank yourself for it.

If you want, please refer to the Body Shop Tips thread in the How To section, or see my Parts Jeep Trail Build thread in the projects section where I detail much of what I did during the same repairs.

Good luck!

Thank you! Your body shop tips thread in the how to section and your build thread are great and full of useful info. I will keep practicing before trying to attach the panels to the actual jeep.

Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Nice work. I think you have the skills to get your jeep the way you want it. Metalshaper has some good videos on YouTube and panels can be purchased from a number of vendors. But you appear to be having fun making your own.  So keep having fun whichever way you go

I have seen metalshaper's videos. That's how I got convinced that I may be able to do *some* patch panels myself. The more complicated stuff I will probably be getting from Classic Enterprises
BlueBaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 1:46pm
Welcome from the Saratoga Area.
I love the looks of the high hood.

-Dave
CJ-3A 1953
jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 9:30am
Great looking 3B.  It may have some rust but looks like a lot of straight sheet metal otherwise and definitely worth fixing if you have the time.

Which welder from HF do you have?  I've got the smallest Titanium/DC flux core welder from there and while my consistency isn't great it's done a nice job with some of the sheet metal I've used it on.  I found the Youtube videos showing my specific welder and different techniques very helpful though there are tons of great howtos to find there.  

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the 3B
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by jpoole jpoole wrote:

Great looking 3B.  It may have some rust but looks like a lot of straight sheet metal otherwise and definitely worth fixing if you have the time.

Which welder from HF do you have?  I've got the smallest Titanium/DC flux core welder from there and while my consistency isn't great it's done a nice job with some of the sheet metal I've used it on.  I found the Youtube videos showing my specific welder and different techniques very helpful though there are tons of great howtos to find there.  

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the 3B

Thank you for the comments!

I have the same Titanium flux core welder. I have had it for some time and it has been useful. It is actually surprisingly good quality for HF, but I am not sure flux core is consistent enough for doing a lot of butt welding on sheet metal, and having to clean the slag of the flux core after is also not great. I have seen videos on Youtube of people doing body work with the same/similar flux core welders, but my experience trying to do it was frustrating. The first small mistake and the metal warps or it burns through. Also, I am sometimes skeptical of Youtube videos. May look great on camera, but not sure how great it would look in person or how much bondo it will require.

I just bought a cheap multi-process welder from Amazon to see if that works better. Will try MIG with 0.023 wire. If I cannot get good/consistent results with that setup, I may have an excuse to buy a not so cheap welder with better controls/fine tuning.
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2022 at 7:17pm
Welcome aboard from NE Ohio!  Your 3B looks like a solid start.  Judging by your skills on the generator and the drain hole you are going to do great!  Those are projects that a lot of folks would have been afraid to tackle.

If you have the courage to push the envelope you'll discover new skills.  I never used a sewing machine before and just finished making a canvas top!  (My wife showed me how to use the machine.)Big smile

Lots of great resources here and really helpful folks.  Above all - have fun with it!  Looking forward to watching your progress!

-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2022 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Barry S Barry S wrote:

Welcome aboard from NE Ohio!  Your 3B looks like a solid start.  Judging by your skills on the generator and the drain hole you are going to do great!  Those are projects that a lot of folks would have been afraid to tackle.

If you have the courage to push the envelope you'll discover new skills.  I never used a sewing machine before and just finished making a canvas top!  (My wife showed me how to use the machine.)Big smile

Lots of great resources here and really helpful folks.  Above all - have fun with it!  Looking forward to watching your progress!

-Barry

Thank you! I tried the sewing thing for the seat covers, but my wife took pity on me and finished it. They came out nicely. Bad thing is that I chose the wrong type of fabric and now they are completely destroyed again. Lasted a couple months.

Edited by TheOwl - 06 Jan. 2022 at 8:31pm
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2022 at 12:24pm
I used to think 3Bs were ugly. Now I think they're cool, thanks to constantly looking at a restored red 3B on Bill Norris's Jeep calendar. I'd buy a 3B if a decent one comes my way.

Regarding welders, save up for a Hobart, Miller, or Lincoln machine. For Jeep body work all you need is a 110-V machine. The ChiCom units put the "horror" in Horror Freight, IMO.

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2022 at 12:42pm
haha:

i call it Harbor Fright!

double whammy: Horror Fright

Edited by bight - 07 Jan. 2022 at 12:43pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2022 at 12:44pm
Bight, you hit the nail on the head!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2022 at 1:56pm
Hazard fraught
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2022 at 5:15pm
Horrible Freight...
Horror Fright...
Hazard Fraught...
Harbor Fright

Lots of great nicknames, but lets be realistic... we all have something bought from there. Embarrassed

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2022 at 7:10pm
so true
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 9:37am
Very nice Jeep and welcome! I have a Snap-On 140 welder that was made by Lincoln. I bought it used. I see them for sale all the time for $150-$300. I can still get parts for it at the Local welding store, and it's great for sheet metal. I've had it for 15 years. My only complaint is that it is heavy. I think if I was starting from scratch I might spring for a tig welder. Much prettier welds, and you can weld aluminum.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 8:13pm
I tried MIG welding on a test piece (I am using a cheap chinese multi process welder from Amazon.. I've been searching for months on craigslist/facebook for a proper machine but there is nothing in my area, and a new one is out of budget. I figured I will give this a try and return if it is a lemon). I am using 0.030 wire, CO2 (I read 75/25 would be better for sheet metal, but I had a cylinder of CO2 so I am giving it a try), and the machine is set at 17.5V 57A.

This is what I started with. It was pretty straight:

I made a piece of copper with magnets to attach to the back to absorb heat:

This is how it turned out front (after grinding) and back. I know there are pinholes still, but I was just testing the setup, so I didn't make an effort to go beyond this:

Despite my efforts of going slowly and tacking different sections at a time, it did warp a bit:

This was much better than my previous attempt with flux core, and probably workable. However, I want to figure this out better before doing anything in the tub. I have a couple questions for the experts:

1. Should I be getting more penetration in the back?
2. Is some degree of warping unavoidable in sheet metal? Or can it be eliminated?

I should probably make a thread in the projects section to post how things progress.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 8:32pm
There seems a lot of inclusions in the bead and thats something to learn how to limit. Also, research wire. There is the type/size of course but also quality. A cheap welder will do way better with good wire over what is off the shelf at tractor supply or etc.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 10:10pm
I might suggest trying some 0.023" wire rather than the 0.030". 

For me, I'd like to see a little more penetration in the weld. Mostly so you can work the metal after welding to get the warping out of it. You want to weld the two pieces together and then grind it down so it reacts like a single sheet of steel when working the metal. A weak weld will break during this process.

A lot of the time warpage is unavoidable and you'll just have to mitigate for it later with hammers and dollys, shrinking disc, etc.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>