Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am new here, this is my new jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2022 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by jhg jhg wrote:

There seems a lot of inclusions in the bead and thats something to learn how to limit. Also, research wire. There is the type/size of course but also quality. A cheap welder will do way better with good wire over what is off the shelf at tractor supply or etc.

I think I may have done a couple passes with the shielding gas off...

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I might suggest trying some 0.023" wire rather than the 0.030". 

For me, I'd like to see a little more penetration in the weld. Mostly so you can work the metal after welding to get the warping out of it. You want to weld the two pieces together and then grind it down so it reacts like a single sheet of steel when working the metal. A weak weld will break during this process.

A lot of the time warpage is unavoidable and you'll just have to mitigate for it later with hammers and dollys, shrinking disc, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a 0.023" spool, but when I went to try today I realized the welder didn't have the feeding roller for that width, so I will have to wait until the new roller arrives.

I saw in your bodywork thread the explanation on how to work the metal after welding. If you have to deal with that, I guess there is no hope for the rest of us. For now, I am trying to get consistent results and minimal shrinking in practice pieces before moving into the tub.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 8:51am
Otto, try .023 wire for Willys sheetmetal work, and adjust your welder accordingly.

And, I'll go on record in this string to proudly say I've never bought a thing from Horror Fright and don't intend to start. I've visited one of their stores once, to see if I could find anything that was made in the US. The only item I found was a can of CRC Brake Cleaner and a few other spray-can consumables. Even the American flags were made in The People's Republic. Chairman Xi must love that.

I don't begrudge anyone for their purchase decisions based on their own personal metrics, including quality, cost, country of origin, environmental stewardship, human equity, brand affinity, etc., etc.  Just disagreeing with the comment that "most of us" have spent our dollars at HF at some point.

Edited by LuzonRed47 - 10 Jan. 2022 at 8:55am
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 6:15pm
After some practicing, first panel in after many tacks:

And after some grinding/sanding:

I think this is good enough for my first panel.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 10:55pm
That looks pretty nice for your first panel!  Keep at it and it's gets easier.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 11:17am
 Love the 3B.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2022 at 11:06am
Love the hood ornament. 
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2022 at 10:20pm
Making some progress.

First I had to fix the support that was rusted through:

Then put in the new panel:

Next step will be passenger side floor and then will try to put in a new step

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2022 at 10:17am
Nice work!

I’ve been there 

I find it easier to splice the panel in a spot where the weld won’t show on the inside through the gusset holes; it’s hard to finish grind the weld that way. 

Edited by otto - 31 Jan. 2022 at 10:23am
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 9:48am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Nice work!

I’ve been there 

I find it easier to splice the panel in a spot where the weld won’t show on the inside through the gusset holes; it’s hard to finish grind the weld that way. 

Thanks. I didn't think of that. In any case, it was pretty rusted from where I made the cut down, and I couldn't go up that much, so I didn't have much of a choice. Finishing the inside is proving hard. I am thinking on gifting my self a file belt sander for finishing the tight spot and busting spot welds.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2022 at 11:35am
Die grinder?
Mike in AZ
TheOwl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2022 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Die grinder?

Maybe. I don't have one of those, but I was thinking with a Dremel rotary tool to touch up details if needed. Seems laborious though
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123