Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I.D.# 70,146..... adventure story.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I.D.# 70,146..... adventure story.
    Posted: 01 Sep. 2005 at 11:35am

I posted earlier about the maiden voyage in my Willys #70,146 .

But here is an adventure story for you all...

I've had my 46 CJ2A running for a few weeks now. I had the day off,so I thought I'd do a lil exploring on such a beautiful day. I drove into an old graveyard on the edge of town and found an old dirt road that led out of the backside. After a short time, I climbed a large hill.At the top of the hill, I looked out across a large expanse of fields and small trails most likely intended for dirt bikes.

I had never been in this part of town and was amazed at my find.I descended the steep hill towards the fields. As I went down, I noticed the hill was comprised of very soft powdery sand. I realized I probably would'nt be able to get back up the hill. Too steep, too soft. Slightly panicking, I made 3 attempts to climb back up the hill. Each time I got 1/2 way up and sank into the sand with my 7.00x16 tires.I had no alternative but to find another exit from this small valley.

I began following small trails, but I kept on coming back to the base of the sandy hill. Finally, I followed a small trail that led me to some R.R tracks. I knew of these tracks,and knew they were ACTIVE. Large freight trains were known to hit 60 as they passed. With a steep ditch on both sides, I had no choice but to follow the tracks until I could get my Willys out of this place. After about a mile of tracks, I spied a small electrical substation with a small paved road leading from it. I cut down the steep bank of the culvert, and into the small sub station. Almost immediatly, the ground began to rumble and a large freight train with about 125 cars tore by . Me and my Willys would have been train trash for sure.

After I regained my senses and got my foot and hands to stop shaking long enough to find the gas pedal and steering wheel, I followed the small tar road into a neighborhood not far from home.Safe at last.

1946 CJ2A veh id#70146
http://nelsonthejeep.myphotoalbum.com
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2005 at 10:28pm
Cool story-- sounds like a bad dream.
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JeepinOleMiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepinOleMiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2005 at 9:53pm
Glad to know you and the Jeep survived!

We got our '48 out in the neighborhood for the first time last night. I can still smell the exhaust in my hair, oh... but ain't life grand!
'48 CJ2a

[l_,[__|__],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)

It's a great life!
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2005 at 11:55am

Jeeps were built for adventure. I'm amazed how many people

I've met treat them like some kind of a sacred object and are scared to use them.Don't take them in the dirt,rain or mud.They constantly

work on them, but never get a return on the investment.

I've driven my 46 over 600 miles in the last 2 months. 50% of that on trails or trails I made myself.

Of course I work on my willys too, but I never take anything apart until I have the replacement items in hand to eliminate as much "down" time as possible.

"Jeep Adventures" is my favorite part of this website because that's what it's all about. But look how few people contribute.

Thanks for your nice comment JEEPIN OLE MISS,

good luck with your 48 and God bless 

1946 CJ2A veh id#70146
http://nelsonthejeep.myphotoalbum.com
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2005 at 8:22pm

I agree about the down time, I also try to have the necessary parts ready when I do "take her off the road".  The 2A is pretty forgiving and will tell you way in advance where the problems are.

I also am a firm believer in using the Jeep as a J although I no longer plow snow with mine   , or push her too hard.  Like me she is getting older and like Clint Eastwood said "a man has got to know his limitations!"

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2005 at 9:36pm

Jeff,

I have an old war horse also.  It's got a plow and it does its job all winter long in Minnesota. Oil pressure is low and she smokes a little, same way it did five years ago.  Every year I wonder if I have to put this plow on one of my other jeeps. At the same time I give her a coat of paint with a brush, and let her buck.  I'll fix it as it needs to be fixed. Looks good every fall and I finally got a top for it so no more goggles. These jeeps were made to be used, pretty hard to tear them down where they're unrepairable.

Gary 

Post Reply Post Reply