Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I got new shoes! 34x9x16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:48am
hey Stan, here's the low -down on the tire pressure.  Low-down, get it? LOL LOL

Anyway...

When I let all the air out, I was able to push the tire off the wheel seat with my knee.  It would be pretty easy to pop the bead without air, so I guess I'll have to run them with SOME air in them.  Wink

When I get back home from the Rubicon, I'll do some experimenting here on the home trails to see just how low I can go.  I like a nice soft tire with a little bulge to it, but these are going to need a little breaking in time before that happens (if they ever do get softer).  

Edited by Rick G - 23 July 2017 at 6:53am
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

But, if I get all that flex by removing leafs, then I won't get any good undercarriage shots.
I guess you have a point there.
Quote ...It will just be another one of those rigs that make everything look so easy, ho hum...
I doubt that. You're ground clearance alone is significant. Can't wait to wheel with you
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:00pm
Great looking jeep. I love swampers and always thought they were the best performing off road tire you can get. If you can get them to stay on the beads the sidewalks should break in and get a little more flexible. 

Is there a build thread on this jeep? Would like to know the specs.   What type and height of suspension is this?

Edited by NCtoy - 23 July 2017 at 6:02pm
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:13pm
Looks so much better! Clap
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 9:19pm
Thanks for the compliments.  I think it looks so much better, too.  I'm sure hoping these tire sidewalls get a little softer as I use them.  

NCtoy, I don't have a build thread on this jeep....yet.  I will try to post one after this jeeping summer.  I have all the pictures, just haven't taken the time to post it yet.  Kinda would like the picture posting/hosting issue to be a little easier before I do it also because I have a ton of pictures, but nonetheless I will get one together soon.

Here's the highlights:

L134
T90A
Dana 18 TC
Dana 25 front (lock right)
Dana 41 rear, converted to full floater with D44 31/19 splined axles, mini-spool
Black Diamond 3.5" springs with Daystar 1/2" shackles (I probably wouldn't go this high again, plus too stiff)
Custom steering shaft and linkage to a Saginaw power steering box (not powered currently, running it manually)
4 wheel GM discs with late model CJ rotors
Warn locking hubs all around
12V
Petronix-type electronic ignition (distributor)

Anyway, I think that's the highlights.

My Videos
ElijahN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElijahN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by NeCtoy NeCtoy wrote:

Great looking jeep. I love swampers and always thought they were the best performing off road tire you can get. If you can get them to stay on the beads the sidewalks should break in and get a little more flexible. 

Is there a build thread on this jeep? Would like to know the specs.   What type and height of suspension is this?

Those are some nice wheels Rick!

Edited by ElijahN - 19 Oct. 2021 at 3:45pm
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 1:20pm
wow total a changed the look of the jeep!
Very awesome Clap
I like the more period correct look. 
What a great looking flatfender!
Best tire demo video ever. 
Thanks for sharing 
Tin Badge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Badge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 6:49pm
WOW! That is incredible! Love it! 
Family Motto "If its not broken lets take it apart and lose some of the pieces and then it will be"
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 8:04pm
It's like looking into a mirror! Hey it's my twin!
Rich
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 10:42pm
Those spacers, is that how you get rid of the willys lean?
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2017 at 10:20am
Love the new tires Rick. I'm thinking of putting the same size on my early cj5.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2017 at 12:18pm
Can't wait to see how spring leaf removal helps the stiff suspension. Are those gas shocks? 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2017 at 6:24am
Originally posted by 1947-cj2a 1947-cj2a wrote:

Those spacers, is that how you get rid of the willys lean?

Rich, not sure to which spacers you are referring.  The wedges are to reduce the driveline angle because of the spring lift (and I broke one on the Rubicon Trail last week...ugghh!) and the wheel spacers are so the original wheels will clear the big GM disc brake calipers.  And no, neither one helps the Willys lean...lol.

Yep, the two jeeps do look a lot alike!

Jeeper, as far as I know the shocks are just plain gas shocks.   Don't know that much about them. They came as a package deal with the springs from Black Diamond.

My Videos
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 12:02pm
Rick, what's the "After Action" report on the tires after the Rubicon! ?......... Did the soften up any ?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 8:58pm
Hey Rick,  just finished watching the vid's you posted of day 3.  I'll say again what I said during the trail ride...I think those tires made a huge difference!  The grip they had on those dusty rocks was impressive, especially compared to the old tires Gus used to wear.
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 9:00pm
Lee, they didn't really soften up much, maybe just a tiny bit.  Evaluation of the tire thus far? It may be a little too soon to tell.  I only have about 50 miles on them (12 mi of that was on the Rubicon trip).   I can say that I do like them better, but I don't know if they perform better at the current 10 psi mark.  You can watch how they performed on the Rubicon here on this thread:

https://thecj2apage.com/forums/vintage-willys-the-rubicon-trail-2017_topic38398.html

They are just unbelievably stiff.  I'm still hoping they will soften a little over time.  (Keith, I'd like to hear the tire engineer perspective on tires softening over time).  They are much easier to steer.  They have trememdous bite with those huge lugs and would be perfect if they wrapped around rocks a little more.  All in all, I like them and would probably buy them again.

Stay tuned, because I am going to experiment with much lower tire pressure in the coming weeks (first have to fix some broken stuff from the Rubicon trip) and probably try them in some mud (yuck!).  I am expecting to possibly pop beads, but at least I'll know at what pressure I can run them and maybe improve grip.  

My Videos
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 12:46am
Interesting!, the problem with a tire this size is the vehicles they were intended for are typically 5K or heavier, jpet and I discussed this last year, my M715 runs 9.00x16 ND's, I aired the front passenger tire down to 8-10 psi before it squatted, this rig weighs around 5500 lbs. I also mounted a near worn out Denman 9.00 x 16 nd on a standard Jeep wheel for compairison, but have yet to mount it on a Jeep!. One thing to consider, a HD Willys truck Rim is a 1/2" wider than a standard Jeep rim and has beadlocks, if you have trouble that could possibly help. Finding a set not rusted out, at least here up north is a problem more so if clean bead surface is needed for running tubeless.. I very much like your tires and they make your Jeep look great!, I may concider these for my mod project if it "ever" gets finished, LOL.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 1:04am
Rick,

Did you air down in Texas or in California? ... and did you check your pressure on the trail? I aired down to 10-11 psi in Illinois. (altitude 600') When I checked them on the Rubicon trail, they were 15 psi.

The tires did look a little stiff in the videos but I watched your tires enveloping the sharper rocks.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>