Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have been infected with JAS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have been infected with JAS
    Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:36pm
I am not even half way through my current project, and now I have succumbed to a seemingly incurable disease.

Jeep Acquisition Syndrome is no joke, but it is fortunate for those who are infected to have this support group.

I have a 1948 CJ chassis in the drive way, a storage shed full of parts, new, old, original and reproduction. I have two engines on stands, and a pile of axles behind the shed. I have spent a small fortune already and haven't even began the reassembly.

So, what did I do?

I went down to Georgia Saturday and bought two more old Jeeps, along with another pile of parts.

I just couldn't help myself. 

All seriousness aside, what I bought has me excited.

I bought two 1948 CJ2A's, one is intact, the other disassembled.

The one that is together is an early 48. It looks pretty good, and at 20 feet looks even better.

It has an engine that appears to be a recent rebuild, everything all tidy and neat under the hood, no sign of oil leaks. It hasn't been started in a few years, but there is no apparent end-play on the crank, the plugs are a nice dry toasty brown, and the oil is clear and clean. The body is straight, the floor pan up front has been repaired with welded in sheet metal, but the hat channels are totally rusted away. The patch work on the floor areas was done acceptably except for the bottom of the tool box which has been "patched" with a thick layer of fiberglass which looks like it was applied with a rake. Real nice straight rust free windshield with good glass. Steering box has been rebuilt, still a little play, probably the drag link and bell crank, but is isn't too bad. It already has the disk brake / dual master cylinder conversion which appears to have been done right.

I don't think it will take much to get this one back in serviceable condition, with maybe a full restore later. 

The disassembled one is a late 48 (has the heavier CJ3A style frame). The body tub is toast, but the frame is very straight, which will save me a lot of work on my current project. The engine was on a stand with the head and pan already removed. It has standard pistons, the cylinder walls look good, with hardly any ridge. No visible cracks, but we all know that doesn't always mean what we hope it does. 

Now, I have to get it all hauled home and stowed away before my wife sees it.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:27pm
We have a twelve step program here to help...never get more than 12 steps away from the jeep project at hand. Just keep focused on the stash the treasures movement, and remember the phrase " what this ol jeep, I've had this along time". LOL

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 4:25pm
What is really bad is I noticed a place in Ranger with at least a dozen old, un-restored 55-57 Chevrolet cars and trucks sitting in the yard. Every imaginable body style too, all of them looking like they need a new home.

Trailer isn't big enough.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:15pm
I once knew a college kid that spent his summer buying and hauling old Chevys from Kansas to California back in the late 60s and early 70s. He claimed he doubled his money even after expenses and put himself through college that way. He tried to make at least 4 trips a month during the summer and already had the cars sold before he got there.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:46pm
I have fooled around with old cars for more than fifty years, but I have never made money on them. Usually have more in them than they are worth before I am finished.

For peace of mind I have purposefully not kept up with how much I have spent on my Jeep projects, but these latest two didn't cost so much in money, as I was able to do some trading.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:07pm
SO OLDPAPPY

When are you going out to buy what you really need for your Willys? 
 I think If you spotted a Willys Jeep 4 sale next to two guys playing  "Dueling Banjos" you would ask what make banjos are they playing and how much for the Jeeps instead of getting out of there.LOL
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:08pm
I've had a `55 two door 210 for nearly twenty five years... it's a hot rod with a potent small block. I drove it to little vintage car gatherings and took it to the drag strip a few dozen times over the years. Now I'm over all that loud, rumpity noise and the endless tuning, maintaining and repairing broken parts. It is for sale and when it's gone I won't have regrets, I'm over it.

My little Willys is quiet, has been reliable so far (I baby it; no rock crawling, fording rivers, or churning up 3 feet of mud) and people just love it. Some people like my hot rod, EVERBODY likes my jeep. I kind of wish I had made the switch sooner.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:24pm
I had a 56 210 when I was in High School, it was a hot rod and didn't meet the requirements after I married and had some kids, so it was sold back in the 70s. I have missed that car ever since, but that era of Chevy has gotten to be out of my hobby price range in the last few years. 
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:56pm
We have room for 2 cars besides our daily drivers, so we have the '47 Willys and a '63 Nova SS. I've been working on the Nova for 2 years. Just tried to start it and it cranked, fired, but won't seem to run with the key in RUN. It has a rebuilt engine, all new wiring (done by me, so I think I know where to start), New ignition switch, points, condensor, and ballast resistor. The only thing not new is the coil, but it tests ok.  If it didn't fire at all I'd know where to start, but it fires when I crank it, but not in run and I have 12 volts on the run ckt and start ckt. I think I might have a sneak ckt. 
I gave up on the Nova yesterday and used the Jeep to drag branches out of the brush. The Willy's so far is way handier than the Nova. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:48pm
Nothing to brag about. My 51 Chevy did all it was supposed to do. I still have my grandfathers 1953 Buick. I jump in it, I go to my house and get my pipe out.
The upholstery is still origionl there and it smells like grampa, even the radio still works.
john
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

Just tried to start it and it cranked, fired, but won't seem to run with the key in RUN.

It has a ballast resistor.

If it didn't fire at all I'd know where to start, but it fires when I crank it, but not in run and I have 12 volts on the run ckt and start ckt.  

Testing> There are two power sources to the coil. One is from ignition when in the RUN position that eventually goes to the PLUS side of the coil, but runs Through the ballast resistor first.

The 2nd feed to coil ONLY works when the starter solenoid is engaged during cranking. That feed wire is on the small R terminal on the solenoid, and yours is OK because it fires when cranking. No need to test that stuff.

So you need to test the wire that goes from ign terminal on ign switch that will eventually go to one side of the ballast resistor. The other side of ballast resistor goes to the plus side of coil.

Test: use a test light or voltmeter on both sides of ballast with key ON. If both sides are dead, your problem is from the ballast to the key switch. That feed wire should run through a firewall bulkhead connector and those connections can get corroded where it plugs together.

If you do have power to only one side of resistor, but nothing going to coil, then the ballast is burned out or a bad connection on either terminal on it.

If you just wired it and it never worked right since, one thing you might have done wrong on the ign switch, is if you put the "run" wire on the ACCY terminal instead of the "I" terminal. I believe it would then act exactly like what you said.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:21pm
“if you just wired it and it never worked right since, one thing you might have done wrong on the ign switch, is if you put the "run" wire on the ACCY terminal instead of the "I" terminal. I believe it would then act exactly like what you said.”

The ACCY terminal is hot when the key is in the “run” position. Otherwise how would the radio, wipers, and heater work?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 10:08pm
Great! Got any parts for a British limey?
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 12:52pm
JonJ,

I have a lot of parts, and several friends on your side of the pond so I won't hold your origin against you.

If you will only come to pick them up, I have two extra pairs of axles. You will have to check your bags, I don't think these would fit in the overhead bin.
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 2:15pm
Big smile
RustyAutoholicGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyAutoholicGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:41pm
Oh no I might have JAS too, how can I be sure?

I currently only own the following:
1947 CJ-2A #123456
1970 DJ-5A
2005 LJ Rubicon
2006 RHD TJ (Kubota Diesel Swap)
2006 Liberty CRD (Factory Turbo Diesel)
2017 Renegade (Wife's Personal Jeep)

And I've owned/sold the following in the last two years
1954 CJ-3B
1983 DJ-5M
1984 DJ-5M
1984 J10
1978 CJ-5
1990 Wrangler
1986 Comanche

I should be fine right? I don't need to worry about anything?
1947 CJ2A #123456
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:03pm
Yes you are fine. You sold more rigs than you kept. No worries.

I, on the other hand, just bought a Mercedes Benz for the diesel drive train. I really should not have done that. I am now one over my self imposed limit. Bummer as I just saw another rig that I would like to have. It is a J10 drive train & chassis. I think that my Willys pickup bed & body would look good on that. Would that make two into one?

Is two over the limit a very bad thing? Do I sell two to buy one, or do I just move the limit? If so, how far? Hmmm,

Not good.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 10:07pm
Yes, that would make two into one, at least that is the sort of thing I tell my wife when she starts complaining about the number of junk cars I have sitting around in the yard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>