Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identifying what I just purchased

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identifying what I just purchased
    Posted: 18 Dec. 2005 at 6:55pm
 Hi yes gentlemen another newby.  I just purchased (2) 46 cj2a.( or so I was told ) I have looked in the places that I read on your site but with no luck nothing in the way of serail numbers. My last hope is the number on the "A" foot frame on the drivers side. One jeep has a full floating axle the other is not. Is that possible in the same year? One engine is out, the other is running in the unit. The one that is running does not have a serial number on the water pump boss. ( another dead end) The other one with the engine out of the jeep the number is  RMC 113455 This engine also has a single barrell Holley carb on it .(is that possible?) on the back it has leaf springs with coil spring over the top of the axles (I think somebody must have installed thoses) I would appreicate any help. The more I dig the more confused I get . Can you guys help me out here.  I plan on restoring both one for fun the other for show. Thanks you for any help. oh , by the way they both have heater on the passenger side looks like a factory job nicely done when it was working. They both are the same type. I have one manual that came with it for rebuilding it but, I'm not impressed. This manual is Rebuild Jeep CJ by Moses Lundel Is there any thing better.  Thanks again ........Dean   P. S. sorry for the length.  
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2005 at 7:34pm

Sounds like you have a little "CSI." investigative work to do. The toe board gusset # that you have found will only get you so far, there maybe a number on the oval befind the oil filter on the engine.  The full floating axle would take this to an early cj or probably military. The other one you describe is a replacement military motor for a Korean war Jeep. you need to pin down what you have to go forward. There is a number on the axles that may give you some clue if you find nothing more.

I would do some research on the g503 site on all the sites as it seems you have alittle bit of a frankein Jeep. When you find out what you have -BUY A MANUEL!!!!!  I can't tell how much help it will be. They are at all the regular suppliers,. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Gary

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2005 at 8:24pm

Check the # on the side of the tail gate

Ed
cj2a lefty
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2005 at 9:52pm

Any sign of tool indents on drivers side? Or column shift. Also look on drivers side inside frame horn for serial #s tag. Front grill is also different, early 46 has bullet running lights. If IT has original front hubs there also different than later cj,s

Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
Dean1673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean1673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2005 at 4:55pm

Thanks for the replies.  Gary thanks for the info on the engine and the web site. I think that it isn't the one that came out of there.  Going to take the tub of next week.         & nbsp;         & nbsp;     

lefty, it has no evidence of a colum shift. it has original hubs but they are caps so that the axles always locked. ( I believe) The running jeep,  (the one with full floater) has ...Get this .....SEARS on the locking hubs.

Thanks again guys I'll keep you posted

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2005 at 7:14pm

RMC on the engine might mean "replacement engine for the M-38...."

But you probably found that out already...

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2005 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Dean1673 Dean1673 wrote:

...Get this .....SEARS on the locking hubs.

Mine also but I had assumed they were replacements.

Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2005 at 9:35pm
got any pics?
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
firegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2005 at 11:02pm

could the Sears hubs be replacements from the Sears catalog?

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Sears.html

1947 CJ-2A
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2005 at 11:46pm
Sears sold alot of parts in there day, they are the ones that created "the catalog" we know today that everyone copied. Funny how they couldn't keep up with the competition. Sears even had there own automobile line in the 50's.
 Post Reply Post Reply