Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you could change something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you could change something
    Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 1:27am
So I was thinking as I am doing almost everything I can towards building CHUG the way I want it. I was wondering what one thing would I change I can't .

And it dawned on me. For my intended use of Chug the one thing I wish I could change is the fuel tank capacity.

I would really like to have a 20+ gallon fuel tank even if it was two 10's. Now you say well Mark you could have saved a huge amount of time on the floor had you just left out that tool box and put in another tank on the Right side.

BUT for a long distance off the grid for up to a week kind of Jeep Not having that built in storage for spare parts and tools (and I plan on having every tool to do any repair I could handle on the trail somewhere with me. As well as a lot of parts from a spare fuel pump to headlight bulbs Tire repair electrical parts and pieces. So its to important to loose in my mind.

I maybe could have changed my Muffler position and added a tank under the bed. My fancy draw bar receiver setup kind of gets in the way of to much tank.

With my added performance and 30% OD I am hoping to see 18 mpg on long hwy trips. and with 20 gallons I could run 350 miles between fillings. That would be nice on a day when I'm planning 600+ miles.

OK whats yours?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 10:07am
hmm.....that's a tough one....

My Jeep isn't intended for any long hauling. It's just a round the town rig. So my needs are a little different. 

I like the rear receiver hitch. But if i were to do it again, I'd rather have the look and function of the draw bar. 

I should have installed the SM420 I have. I should have just done it as part of the original build. I have all the parts. To go back and do it now.....not really inspired to do that. 

And don't shoot me - the L Head. Love the motor. Love the sound. Love the look. But 60 HP just isn't cutting it for me. I think if I had more motor, I"d enjoy the Jeep just a smidge more. Will I change it - not likely. It's nice to be on a back road with the L Head buzzing away. So I'm a little torn on this one. 

I think that's about it i can think of. It came out mostly the way I wanted it. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 10:35am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

And don't shoot me - the L Head. Love the motor. Love the sound. Love the look. But 60 HP just isn't cutting it for me. I think if I had more motor, I"d enjoy the Jeep just a smidge more. Will I change it - not likely. It's nice to be on a back road with the L Head buzzing away. So I'm a little torn on this one. 

So... what's it take to put a SM420 behind a 231 buick? WinkLOL

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 11:23am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

hmm.....that's a tough one....
I like the rear receiver hitch. But if i were to do it again, I'd rather have the look and function of the draw bar. 

That's exactly why I came up with my receiver hitch that attaches to the drawbar with a 3/4" grade 8 bolt.  Easy on/easy off, and plenty strong for my small jeep trailer.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 2:51pm
How about going back in time and getting them not to use wood in the Hat Channels.  Simple ask - Just put a reinforcing piece of steel instead.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 6:05pm
well the Willy’s is ok. Still a work in progress. But I could change just one thing. I guess I’d have rather been born rich instead of so good looking. 
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 6:29pm
My use of the jeep has changed over time, and I am changing the jeep a little as I go. Nothing too major as one of my goals is to keep it looking stock to the average observer. I have gone back and corrected or modified a lot of the stuff that bothered me from when I originally got it back on the road in 2005. 

But the biggest thing I wish I could have done differently would be to do a better job with the body work. I was younger then and by the time I got to the body work I was so ready to be done and driving that I cut some corners, on top of my lack of skill. 

I like to think I have learned a lot since then, and have been planning on pulling the body off and making everything right. But I enjoy it too much to take it out of service for the work, and that project seems to perpetually stay a few years off. 
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 6:44pm
When I pulled my motor and had it rebuilt, I asked them not to reassemble it.  Only to do the cam and valves.  I wanted to do the rest for two reasons.  I wanted and will still have the satisfaction.  And it is a learning experience.  I'm not a mechanic, but do as much of my own work as I can.  If I could change one thing, I may have just had them assemble the motor.  If I had, I would have been driving it for the last two years.  There always seems to be something that is higher priority that pushed the Willys work time aside.  I have been putting more time into it lately and hope to be driving it this summer.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 6:59pm
You could install the fuel tank sump used on the Willys MB and put the larger Military tank in. 

Have to remove a couple of the body mounts where the tank goes, some place them on the inside of the frame instead, some go without them. 

The sumps are available at most of the sites that sell body parts for Willys MB or Ford GPW.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 11:12pm
  You could add a couple jerry cans and attach fuel lines to them  and tie them in to the main fuel line that would give you a total of 21 gal.  I plan on using a jerry can for a temporary fuel tank for my M 274 army mule until I get an original tank or make one.

Jim 

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 2:04am
I would not have taken it apart 30 years ago. I couldn't forecast life, work, finances in my youth. Lost a massive amount of drive time. I would have continued to drive, modified-repaired-upgraded over time.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 3:16am
I wish I had the M-38 removable floor instead of the 2A type floor and maybe MB-type toolboxes in the rear wheelwells.  I can't think of much else I'd change.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 1:48pm
More riding, less wrenching. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2019 at 5:26pm
  If I could change something, I would spend more time driving my jeeps and less time working on them. But they need work to be reliable or go at all, so I need to work on them. I would spend less time working on someone else's jeep so I could work on mine. But I need the money from those jobs to pay for upkeep, repairs and changes to my jeeps. I would spend less time working on the remodel of my shop so I could make some money by working on other people's jeeps. But the shop was unbearably cold in the winter and unbearably hot in the summer. I would spend less time playing with my jeeps so I could spend more time working on the shop. But - I guess that makes it a full circle, and brings me right back to where I am! LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2019 at 1:16pm
Bruce for the win...so true!
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I wish I had the M-38 removable floor instead of the 2A type floor and maybe MB-type toolboxes in the rear wheelwells.  I can't think of much else I'd change.

Wish granted! I have one if you're interested.

If I could change something, I would have bought NOS transmission parts instead of Crown.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2019 at 6:25pm
   Power Steering with tilt-telescopic column !

In my area here in eastern Tehama County, California, we have Lava beds, and it is knarly and relentless on steering, especially manual.
So instead of having white-knuckles with the manual steering, I can use 2-fingers with the power steering. The T-90 is marginally slow enough with the 5:38's.

My extra gas is that doggon jerry-can out back that always dribbles gas.

hahahaha    _ _ _ my willys is a carport-queen presently waiting for attention, which I keep postponing.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2019 at 8:45pm
This isn't a wish for my jeep but for people on the road. I wish they would understand these old vehicles dont go 60mph without overdrive. I have had experiences of people almost having head on collisions trying to pass me on a 55 mph road, i was driving 50! Such a rush nowadays.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>