Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm a sucker for a good project.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm a sucker for a good project.
    Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 6:41am
Back in October a friend of mine (cough...oilleaker1) clued me in on a GSA auction that came up involving some Dodge M37s. All had sat for at least two years in a field and were in different conditions, most heavily used. I refused to entertain the notion. I had no room for another vehicle. He told me that a few ran quite well a couple of years ago. What the hell would I do with it, when I'm in the middle of a resto on another car? Next thing he does is let me drive his M37. Okay, I'll admit they're pretty cool.

AngryLong story short I won one of them. LOL He graciously hauls me down to pick the truck up. We show up onsite and the USFS rep asks where our trailer is. Another winning bidder was there getting his M37 loaded onto a trailer. I tell him I fully intend to drive this thing home.

We put two new batteries in, some gas and I hit the starter. Away she goes like the day it was parked. Solid oil pressure, and no coolant leaks. The FS rep had a brake bleeder and the adapter to fit the master cyl. And against all Power Wagon conventions we bled the brakes and they worked flawlessly. Shocked Our only problem was one dead plug and a ripped original top on the fifty mile trip home.

This truck turned out to be the best of the bunch. No rust or major body damage, runs like a top, stops, and drinks like a sailor on liberty. In the past month I've put a new top, plugs, and seat covers on it. I've been using it for grocery and hardware store trips. Sure is a lot of fun. Even had someone at the gas station ask if there was a fire in the area!
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 11:40am
Great find. I love the look of those M37's. Now your hooked and anything military is fair game. That thing looks GREAT
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 1:11pm
That is so cool !! Love it Clap 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 1:13pm
I'm really liking this baby, too!
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 1:45pm
There were two of those hauled in to a local scrapyard last year, one ran the other probably would have. I tried to get the money together for one, didn't happen, tried to tell anybody I thought might be interested. The guys at the scrapyard did too, unfortunately after they'd sat there so long they crushed them, broke my heart to hear it when they told me. Those are some of the coolest trucks ever built and just beg to have a Cummins put in them! I'm glad you got it, have fun with it!
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 1:50pm
U LUCKY DOG !!!!
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 1:55pm
WISH I HAD THE ROOM ...NICE  FIND !!  ClapClap
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 2:45pm

Sweeeet! Alot of the local volunteer fire dept. around here use them for brush trucks but few seem to be as nice as that one......great find!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 2:46pm
I haven't finished with him yet!LOLLOL, it's like Jello, there is always room for more! Wait until he drives my Deuce!  He'll have to move then.  I am glad he saved Hulett! Green Disease is fatal however. John aka Oilleaker1Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 10:14pm
Welcome to the Power Wagon family. Check out the 'Power Wagon' page if you want to.
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 10:27pm
I just looked at one of these today.  It was not as clean as yours, no rust, but the FS paint was peeling quite badly showing off the Military paint underneath.  Guy claimed it ran, but there were no batteries to try it.  No top, and one fender was a little buggered up, couple other dents.  he wants 3400 for it, is that reasonable?  Its a 24 volt system and it looked like it would run, tires were Ok not spectacular.  What do you guys think?
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 10:29pm
Ask at the 'Power Wagon' Page. My buds there are thoroughly knowledgeable when it comes to M-37's.
 Post Reply Post Reply