Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Incrementalism. WTJ, A 1948 2a lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2022 at 9:20pm
Deleted

Edited by jhg - 05 Mar. 2022 at 11:27am
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2022 at 11:03pm
Todays incremental progress was to check the Ross steering box to see what type sector shaft the PO had installed right around the time some sector shafts had been failing due to poor engineering/manufacturing.

Lucky me the shaft looks to be from Crown. Unlucky me has to clean out the grease.

I got most of the grease out. The rest can be assimilated by the cornhead.

Edited by jhg - 05 Mar. 2022 at 10:08pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2022 at 11:17pm

In other exciting news the shift levers and covers are finished. 4 coats of hammered black. Red shift knob for illustration purposes only.
The transfer sticks will be getting NOS round knobs.

Edited by jhg - 07 Mar. 2022 at 4:07pm
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2022 at 5:19pm
I decided to go with an old old composite ball, 1-/3/4" diameter for the cane. Its funny what we prefer visually. The composite material has flecking from whatever is in the resin. I like the look. Black plastic knobs on the other hand leave me flat. Go figure.

Edited by jhg - 07 Mar. 2022 at 4:07pm
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2022 at 7:02pm
Todays inch forward was making new hood blocks. I had some discarded material off a big snowplow blade that would be perfect for them. It is a very robust composition rubber. I had wanted to use this instead of wood for several reasons, like being weatherproof & black.  Primarily though it was its slight cushioning properties. Considering how these old jeeps get used and rattle, having a soft place to land for the windshield frame seemed like a good thing while still keeping the original look.

Soap is for lubing the screw threads. I drilled undersized pilot holes to ensure a good grip for the threads. The rubber, being marginally dynamic, will move enough to allow driving in the screws, then continue to press against the threads, locking them in place.  I opted to delete the through hole system used in an original wood hood block. That method is strong but allows water to sit on top of the fasteners.  I feel very confident using screws. It will take some something substantial to rip the blocks off as attached and thats good enough for me. 

Looks good.

I have a 20" stationary disk sander that was used to add the bevels.

*****If you decide work with thick rubber be warned that it is very dangerous cutting it with conventional carbide blades designed for wood. Even if you choose a finish blade, the  teeth will want to aggressively grab the material. It will also heat up the blade tips. It is a real possibility that you could lose a couple carbide teeth by over-heating the braze. I have seen this happen. Secure the workpiece. Do not try to cut from small pieces. Only cut from large pieces that you can secure and with hands well away from the blade. There will be smoke. A lot of it. Cut outdoors.***

Edited by jhg - 08 Mar. 2022 at 12:08am
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 4:43pm
Another two hours progress accomplished on the grill and windshield frame.

The only original welting left anywhere ....

New welting. I gave up on the rivets. I used weld stud fasteners with lock nuts instead. They are actually a better fastener than the rivets and look original to most of us.

Looking much better. Sometimes its the little things.

A broken cowl shoulder bolt and its other half  seized in the captured nut. I will cut that out and weld in a new nut someday. Why waste a perfectly good part, right?

Edited by jhg - 08 Mar. 2022 at 12:12am
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2022 at 7:37pm
I had some nice thick felt so cut the radiator shroud sealing pieces. If the engineers spec'd the (importance of) shroud seals I will have them too. Maybe not horsehair and definitely not going to be using staples to attach the felt.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2022 at 3:09pm
Removed the hood latches to service them. Really? Yes, they needed it bad. Decades of no maintenance had them almost seized and a pita to use. Much better now.

Then I primed and painted the new hood gutter. No more water at the spark plugs.
You may laugh at my little projects compared to others, but doing them is progress. When the time comes to remove the tub, replace hat channels, patch panels and painting, to paraphrase Abraham Lincoln: "...I will be ready."

Edited by jhg - 08 Mar. 2022 at 12:15am
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2022 at 5:36pm
Four of these shipped today. I plan on siping them myself. I was going to wait to order these but prices are going up soon is my guess. So I went for it.

Edited by jhg - 08 Mar. 2022 at 12:16am
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 1:29pm
The previous owner had the engine re-built just before he passed away. Here is the work order showing what was done.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 2:04pm
Revisiting the spicer shift lever pin fitment. As mentioned earlier the pin had been galled out from loose fitment. It may have been like this from the factory, IDK. Regardless, the ID of the levers is oversize so I chose to bore them out  and bush them with bronze sleeves to help prevent it from happening again. 

The sleeves are 1/2" ID x 11/16 OD.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2022 at 2:34pm
  Your shift lever pin is the style used on M38’s (I think) and M38A1’s. If you look for a new one thats what you’ll need. I wish they were all like that. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2022 at 3:07pm
New tires ready to share a relaxing evening by the fire with the siping knife.

Edited by jhg - 18 Mar. 2022 at 3:44pm
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 6:09am
Can you share some pics after siping? My suggestion is don't cut them deep. These tires collect rocks, and I wouldn't want them to collect more rocks. That said, I have Super Traxions and they work great where I live in Mi. I also am an incrementalist, and I'm glad you have put a name to it. It sounds so much better than my usual term, putterer. If anyone asks, I will tell them I am an Objective Incrementalist. I think they will be impressed. 

Edited by drm101 - 19 Mar. 2022 at 6:18am
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2022 at 11:31am
Dean, the sipes are maybe 3/16ths deep and invisible unless you look closely. I used a utility knife. Four cuts each center lug at a right angle.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2022 at 9:57pm
Dreaded project creep strikes.

The goal being to have my jeep driveable by April the fuel system got the eyeball. After 5 years idle it had to need attention. It did, just more than expected.

No tank straps...

Leak at the coupling

Bubbafied in line fuel filter will need attention

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2022 at 10:06pm
Re-purposing old gasoline. Now officially called "solvent".

Should I replace this vent hose? Hate to retire a part prematurely. 

Edited by jhg - 25 Mar. 2022 at 7:00pm
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2022 at 10:08pm
Future work...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>