Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inferno cab heaters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inferno cab heaters
    Posted: 10 Dec. 2022 at 10:07am
(Disclaimer….not for the purists) I found a great new option for staying warm in these Jeeps without having to source and rebuild vintage heaters. 

Install: 

Long term review:

Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2022 at 10:14am
Brilliant Seth. I don’t have my jeep running yet, probably won’t until next summer or fall but I’ve been considering something similar for a forklift. That looks smaller. Thanks for the info. Where did you get it from?

Edited by Agas46cj - 10 Dec. 2022 at 10:15am
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2022 at 9:21pm
looks very interesting.   on amazon the kits are 399

Thanks for the idea
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2022 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Agas46cj Agas46cj wrote:

Brilliant Seth. I don’t have my jeep running yet, probably won’t until next summer or fall but I’ve been considering something similar for a forklift. That looks smaller. Thanks for the info. Where did you get it from?

I got mine on eBay but you can get them all over the place. I have links in the video description. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2022 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

looks very interesting.   on amazon the kits are 399

Thanks for the idea

I have links in the video description.
I paid $175 for my kit on eBay. 
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 9:46am
I’m not having much luck finding a Harrison heater for my CJ3A that is in good condition. I enjoyed your video and checked the Inferno site but as expected the heaters are not available in 6vdc. Bummer! 
Wondering if anyone has installed, with success, a dc to dc boost power supply, such as 6 vdc to 12 vdc with enough power to operate the fan.

Can you tell me the blower motor amp rating? Thanks.

1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 10:18am
Originally posted by willyt willyt wrote:

....I enjoyed your video and checked the Inferno site but as expected the heaters are not available in 6vdc. Bummer! 

Maybe with a little feedback to them they might consider a 6 volt version.

If they are primarily aiming at the side by side market they may not even have considered that there may a 'vintage' niche for them also.....they wouldn't have to adapt the heater other than sourcing a 6v blower.

Wouldn't hurt to suggest it, it may open up options for them as a company.

Neat heater.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 11:18am
rocnroll that’s exactly what I did. Was surprised to receive a reply from them on a Saturday. They said 12 and 24 volt was all that was available. No other comment made. I found the manufacture of the blower assembly and they also did not provide a 6 volt motor/blower assembly. Perhaps an inquiry to the motor manufacturer could produce an answer.
Thanks for the suggestion.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by willyt willyt wrote:

rocnroll that’s exactly what I did. Was surprised to receive a reply from them on a Saturday. They said 12 and 24 volt was all that was available. No other comment made. I found the manufacture of the blower assembly and they also did not provide a 6 volt motor/blower assembly. Perhaps an inquiry to the motor manufacturer could produce an answer.
Thanks for the suggestion.

You may be able to retrofit the heater with a 6volt motor yourself. Or throw one of these on there and see how it does. 
6V to 12V Step Up Converter, DROK DC 5V-11V to 12V Boost Converter Voltage Regulator Module 3A 36W Volt Transformer Power Supply for Car Stereo Radio https://a.co/d/f2wUo32

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 12:42pm
I bet a 6v motor could be found....heck, all you need to do is blow through the core.

No doubt something could be fabbed just thought it might be a do-able thing for the manufacturer....evidently they don't see the need.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 2:09pm
+1 - if you have the dimensional specs for the 12v motor, you should be able to come up with a 6v that will work.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 2:20pm
Very COOL!
Or better said, that is the "HOT TICKET"
Finally A Warm WILLYS.

Edited by 3-48s - 11 Dec. 2022 at 2:32pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I bet a 6v motor could be found....heck, all you need to do is blow through the core.

No doubt something could be fabbed just thought it might be a do-able thing for the manufacturer....evidently they don't see the need.

I have a vintage Tripp Lite voltage converter that can do 6-12 and 24 volt. if you’re interested 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 2:53pm
I'm sure you directed that to the general readership but since you quoted me on it just responding to that in case somebody else sees the need....that should solve someone's problem I guess.

I don't need it....everything I have is 12v.

I was just trying to make a suggestion without complicating or adding another 'gizmo' so to speak. If I was doing it, I probably would search out a 6v fan...but that's just how I would do it, somebody else may want a converter.

I'm not in line for it so next guy that needs it, speak up.

Just a clarification post.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2022 at 4:09pm
Looking on the Spal site I cannot confirm that the blower I found is indeed the blower that is used in the Inferno heater. But, it is a 260 cfm, 12 volt, single wheel blower, single speed. Motor is rated at 13.6 amps.so it’s going to take a pretty hefty converter to do the job.

Spal is located in Italy.

I’m going to contact Inferno tomorrow and try to get sufficient information to search for a 6 volt motor. In case anyone else is interested I will report my findings.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
theteaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theteaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 10:49am
Did you find a Harrison heater for your CJ3a?
 Post Reply Post Reply