Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inner Windshield Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inner Windshield Removal
    Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 6:22pm
I have a 1948 CJ2A. I'm having a problem removing the inner windshield. When the w/s is down, it can be moved side to side, no problem, about 1/4' each way. But when I bring it parallel to the ground, or 90 degrees from the outer frame, it won't budge. I know I'm supposed to slide it to the left side, and there is an indentation where it should come out. I had a glass guy come out whose done many replacements on CJ's and it has kind of stumped him too. There is a notch about 1" in from the top left edge, that the service manual says to bend up so w/s will clear, but to no avail. Any help at this point would be helpful.Confused
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 6:51pm
Spray some penetrating oil along both sides of the long top hinge and let it soak in.  If the channel is bent along the top of the windshield (like mine was) you will have to bend it back to close to straight.  Last time I did one (Sept 2019ish) I tilted the windshield forward to about 40 degrees (supported it with some blocks of wood with a towel on top), removed the adjusting arms and other hardware.  I had to use a block of rubber and a dead blow hammer to get it moving.  Then slid it the rest of the way out. Took sometime but came out.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
havasujeepn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 7:19pm
Stev, that's what my glass guy suggested with penetrating oil and he did try hitting the channel with a block of wood and a hammer. Kind of straightened it out. I'm going to try the oil this evening and see what happens when I tilt it 40 degrees tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response. Very much appreciated.Smile
David
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 8:46pm

Had the same problem when I did mine a few years back. Used an adjustable pipe clamp like the kind that is used to glue up wood panels and pressed the inner frame out it.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply