Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing a SM420 behind a Dauntless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 1:25am
I've had a sm420, put together a sm465 and also an T18 with a 225 and dana 18 transference.  After doing all three I hands down would go with the T18 4 speed.  It's easier to rebuild, novak adapter was only 1" thick, then I modified my stock v6 bell housing and t-18 front retainer for a very nice overall combo, with a great granny gear.  I've had this setup in my 3B for 15 years now with no issues what so ever.  even found a stock clutch, pressure plate set from a late 70's CJ combo that worked.  My drive shafts stayed the same, no mods.  I run 1" super lift springs, a little longer heavy duty shackles and cj5 body mounts which give me just the right lift for  32" Super Swampers.  
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:45am
windyhill, I'm putting in that combo right now. T18 behind a Dauntless, Dana 18 big hole and hopefully the Dual-Matic OD.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:32pm
After a busy mothers day weekend here are the pictures of the components i promised you. The first 2 are the SM420 I plan to use in this conversion. Next is the Big hole (4" Inlet) D18 transfer case. The last image is just the donor transfer case I picked up several weeks ago that I will steal the twin stick front bearing cap from. Now hopefully in the next few weeks I will start with the teardown and inspection of the components. I plan to reseal both the tranny and transfer case. After getting into them I will see if I will need any gears or bearing.

Edited by AKoller - 17 May 2019 at 9:20pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:44pm
Some progress was made on this project last night. I was able to get the big hole Dana 18 that I'm using in the swap torn down. I will get the case steam cleaned at work today and hopefully this weekend get all the small parts cleaned up and inspected. I hope to get parts ordered for it either Sunday or Monday so I can go back together with it next weekend. Is Novak my best bet for purchasing the parts for the transfer case? I am wanting an intermediate shaft that has the o-ring seals.

As you can see I have my ace mechanic on the job giving me direction. It's my belief that as long as they think they are in charge you're doing it right! In all seriousness my son absolutely loves "wrenching" on the Jeep with me. Hopefully in the next few years we can start on one for him.

Edited by AKoller - 17 May 2019 at 1:49pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 3:08pm
I don't think Novak sells the Tera Low gear set. They do have the best intermediate shafts. They have them hardened and grooved for the O-rings. Most of the other parts they send you will be Crown stuff that you can get anywhere, but if your getting their shaft, might as well get their whole kit.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

As you can see I have my ace mechanic on the job giving me direction. It's my belief that as long as they think they are in charge you're doing it right! In all seriousness my son absolutely loves "wrenching" on the Jeep with me. Hopefully in the next few years we can start on one for him.

Glad to see him right in there working with you on it and I am sure you are loving it just as much as he is!

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Glad to see him right in there working with you on it and I am sure you are loving it just as much as he is!

Of course we all brag on our kids and we all think our kids are the smartest around... but Brennen actually gets it. I explained to him last night while disassembling the transfer case how it all works and he understands. It absolutely amazes me. He helped me install the locker in the front differential several months ago and it was the same with that. In a way he reminds me of Dillon!
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:53pm
I took some time during lunch today to get my case steam cleaned. Is there a way to tell what year the transfer case is from the casting #'s. I've read enough to know that this is the 6th varience in this series case but i don't know much past that.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:53pm
I can see the date of manufacture right there on the case. 11-18-75.
That date matches perfectly with my best guess for the Dana 20 version 6 big hole cases.
An excellent case and luckily yours happens to be tapped for a right side fill plug.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 3:35am
Alan, how wonderful to see the next generation of "Flatty drivers"!

Keep him close and let him do as much as he can. 

Great to see!

Fuzz
Fuzz
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:29am
FWIW, I have used Novak's rebuild kits for my transmission and transfer case rebuilds for many years now. They are complete with everything you need and have rebuild instructions included.

When I do a rebuild I start with a clean case. I wash them out with dishwashing liquid to insure they're completely grease free, dry them with compressed air and chase all the threads. Then I give the entire case a good coat of rustoleum. I give the inside a couple of coats. Those old castings had a tendency to let a little seepage occur and the rustoleum tends to seal it up inside. I then put a couple of coats of high temp gloss black engine enamel on the outside.
I've settled on "The Right Stuff" for coating gasket surfaces and all bolt threads, particularly any bolts that go through to the inside of the case. All gasket surfaces get touched on with a file, and the bottom cover gets a little hammer tap or two around all the bolts holes to flatten the mating surface. Once I've reassembled I let it sit overnight for the gasket sealer to cure.

This has worked well for me over the years to minimize leaks.

Very cool that you're sharing the experience with the little ones. That time spent together will never be forgotten by either of you.:-)

Good luck with your build and keep the pics coming!

Mike
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:53am
Alan, I’m using the Novak shaft.  It certainly is harder than the other repo’s offered and much more pricey.  It probably is worth it, but the way I use Gus, it may be difficult to tell (slow speeds and not many miles per year).  In my experience, the O rings are worthless, however.  You can’t install the shaft without cutting them.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 3:49am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

In my experience, the O rings are worthless, however.  You can’t install the shaft without cutting them.  

I have heard of others having the same issue. Did you bevel your case to help prevent this from happening? 
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 3:12pm

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

In my experience, the O rings are worthless, however.  You can’t install the shaft without cutting them.  

I have heard of others having the same issue. Did you bevel your case to help prevent this from happening? 

Nope, I just left them out.  I used a thin film of RTV and filled up the o-ring groove.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 4:04pm
When I put the shafts in with the O rings I spray some WD or PB on the O ring and then tap nice and easy as the O ring meets the case. That seems to work for me. I will say though that I chewed up the O rings on the first one I ever did, prompting me to try a different approach...YMMVSmile

FWIW,
Mike
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:30pm
Yesterday after church I was able to steal a few hours in the garage to get all the parts cleaned up for my transfer case. I will get the parts I need ordered today so I can hopefully have them before next weekend.

Edited by AKoller - 20 May 2019 at 2:51pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:47pm
Not a huge amount of progress but it is progress. With all the needed parts on order and everything I'm reusing cleaned up I decided I would go as far as i could with putting together what i could. The rest of my parts should arrive this afternoon according to the USPS tracking.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:35pm
I didn't have a lot of time yesterday evening to work on my transfer case but I did manage to get the end play set on the output shaft, front bearing retainer install and intermediate shaft in. Every step forward is getting me closer to the finished product. I hope to get the transfer case done Saturday and then start in on the SM420. I need to get it stripped down and cleaned up to see what all it's going to need for parts.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>