Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing a SM420 behind a Dauntless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2019 at 2:07pm
Last night I started to investigate what was going to be required to get my steering tightened up. When I built the Jeep I used a steering column out of a 1978 CJ-7 (which it actually is just a GM column.) I found that the lower column shaft bearing was gone. I removed what was left of the inner and outer bearing races. This morning I found that Quadratec offers a "lower column bearing kit". This kit includes all parts needed to make it like new again. They actually offer kits from 2 different manufacturers, Crown and Omix. The Crown kit is a few dollars more but since I have never liked the quality of most Omix stuff I ordered the Crown parts.

I really don't want to put the engine back in till I have the steering back together. It just gets really tight to work down in the corner with the engine sitting there so until the column parts show up I will starting making my components for my new clutch control.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 12:54pm
While I'm waiting on bearings to show up for my steering column I decided to start working on the pieces for the roller chain clutch control that I decided to make on my own. It is nothing fancy but I believe it should work...

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 3:40pm
Pretty nice Allen, and so far it's looking just like the Buschert chain control !
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 9:16pm
I forgot to include this in one of my previous posts: Before I found the replacement bearings for the lower end of my steering column I came into work early on Tuesday to "borrow" one of the shops lathes and made a bushing to go in the column. So, here is my question... Do I go ahead and install this bushing I made above the replacement bearings to kind of help take some of the load off the bearings or just run it without? I personally am thinking I will go ahead and install it above the bearings. Do you guys see this being an issue??

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2019 at 12:30pm
I got some more work in on my roller chain clutch control yesterday. I think all that is left is to make the sprocket cover (which I will do today) and install it in the Jeep once I know exactly where everything is going to end up after the engine and transmission are installed. I plan to use carriage bolts to mount it to the frame to try and make is as snag resistant as possible.

My steering column parts should be delivered today according to USPS tracking. I will get it put together tomorrow morning and the install the engine and tranny.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 1:13pm
Got more done on the swap this weekend. The bearings showed up for my steering column so I was able to get it together Saturday morning. I went ahead and installed the bushing I made in the column above the replacement bearings. I think it won't hurt anything being in there. If anything it will help.

I got the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly mounted in the Jeep. Cut the floor board and got the crossmember bolted up. When I went in to this project I was hoping to not loose much ground clearance with this swap. Before the swap I had 14" from the floor to the bottom of the skid plate. I now have 15 1/4" to the skid plate for a net gain of 1 1/4". Needless to say I am pleased with how that turned out.

I also got my pieces all finished up for the roller chain clutch control. All I have left is to get the roller chain cut to length after I mount the sprocket.

This week I hope get my drive shafts done and get everything else bolted up in place. Then on to start trying to figure out the exhaust on the passenger side. I ordered a new cooling fan that I will get mounted in. We will see how it works out.

While I'm in the business of changing things I'm going to change the carb as well. Late this week or beginning of next week I will order a Motorcraft 2150. I will have it setup with Metcalf's off-road kit. I just haven't ever been too thrilled with the performance of the factory Rochester 2 Jet on my Dauntless.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 2:58pm
You make it look so easy!  Smile
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

You make it look so easy!  Smile

If only that were the case. As you well know, anytime you start swapping out components with those that the vehicle isn't set up for you earn it. If someone tries to tell me that any of these swaps are easy they are either lying or they have much more talent than me (which is probable.)
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 11:46pm
Nice job so far. I have a 46 with Dauntless, waiting for another T18, but also planning another T-18 swap into a early five. Keep going, your getting much closer to done. Thumbs Up
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 4:25am
Is there any special reason you didn't remove the front fenders to do this?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The thought had crossed my mind on numerous occasions. It would have made some stuff a bit easier. To be completely honest, what kept me from doing it is I would have had to clean all my tools off of them!
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2019 at 9:55pm
One of the lathes at work was available for a little bit today so I got some work done on my rear drive shaft. I've never done any driveshaft work before so I was just trying to figure stuff out as I went. I got the yoke separated from the shaft, shorted the shaft to the proper length and tried to insert the yoke back into the shaft. That's when I realized the shaft had to be counter bored for the yoke. I counter bored the shaft to where it is a press fit with the yoke. After pressing it together I welded it together.... I guess we'll see how this works out. The good new is, if I screwed this up I do have a few extra rear drive shafts.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2019 at 5:42pm
Installed the driveshaft last night with my fingers crossed that it would be at too steep of an angle causing it to bind. Turned out good. The photos below show the rear shaft angle with the rear axle at full droop. I had the jack under the rear bumper with both tires about an inch off the ground.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2019 at 4:03am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The thought had crossed my mind on numerous occasions. It would have made some stuff a bit easier. To be completely honest, what kept me from doing it is I would have had to clean all my tools off of them!

If I added up the cost of all the tools I have lost off the front fenders, I could......buy a new front fender.  I tend to test drive before I'm actually ready for that step...  Embarrassed
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 6:01pm
I realized its been a while since my last update. I have gotten the following things done:

-Exhaust on the driver side is done (I haven't installed the muffler on the passenger side.)

-Everything wired/hooked back up to the engine.

-Installed new electric fan. (I was using a mechanical fan and decided I wanted to try a thermostat controlled electric fan. If I don't like it I will go back to the mechanical fan.)

-Installed my old carburetor. (I am changing to the Motorcraft 2150 but don't have everything for it yet so just threw the old one on so I can go for a test drive.)

-Installed my new homemade roller chain clutch control

So all I have left is the following:

-Weld new tube in the front driveshaft and install it.

-Build the new transmission cover.

-Install new Motorcraft 2150 Carburetor

I was able to take it for a test drive yesterday evening after finishing a few things on it. I really like the 85:1 crawl ratio. I think it will be adequate... maybe. As for my homemade roller chain clutch control, it works very smooth. It is a huge upgrade from the factory bell crank control.

I had a real busy weekend so I was happy to meet my goal of taking it for a drive this weekend. I was busy because Friday morning at 5:20 in the morning I got a call from the sheriffs department asking if my parents were home. I told them the were in NYC with my daughter on a trip before school starts back up. I asked why they needed to know and he responded with "Their house is on fire and we need to know if anyone is home." I had taken them to the airport so all their vehicles were there so when they got on scene they thought people were in the house. Thankfully that wasn't the case. I then had to make the very hard call to let my parents know that the house was on fire and it was going to be a complete loss. If you guys will take the time to say a little prayer for them they could use it. It's all just "things" but a lot of "things" were family heirlooms that came across in boat with my great-great grand parents. That stuff and pictures can't be replaced. Below are a few pictures to show what their house looked like before and now after the fire. The photo was taken from the same spot in the yard. The 3rd photo is standing where their front porch was looking into the basement.

Edited by AKoller - 20 Aug. 2019 at 3:47pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 4:58am
🙏🏻Prayers for you & your family, Alan!  Look at how good God is, tho.  They could have been at home inside when the fire happened.  I know it’s hard to lose “stuff”, but you have your family still and that’s what matters the most.  There will be something miraculously good that comes from this!  I will be praying for y’all!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 1:52pm
That's so sad.....such a picturesque home.

Sorry for their (and your) loss.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 2:11am
I joke about how a well-timed house fire can make things easy when it's time to move, but I never really mean it.  So sorry to read that it happened.  Wait--that doesn't sound right...this fire was NOT well-timed except for the fact that nobody was home at the time.  Also, nobody was planning to move...  Embarrassed

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 21 Aug. 2019 at 3:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>