Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing a SM420 behind a Dauntless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:28am
I finished up my transfer case for this swap Saturday morning. Well at least as far as I can go with it for now. I plan on moving the yokes and parking brake parts over from the transfer case that is currently in the Jeep since those parts were all installed new not long ago. I went ahead and painted the case as well.

I then brought the transmission up the shop and started in on it. I got it disassembled Saturday morning and gave it a good once over to see what all I will need to replace. Looks like I will only need seals, bearings and I will go ahead and replace the synchronizers since I'm there but honestly they look really good.

That's were any progress on this project came to a stop this weekend. I spent the afternoon and evening at my parents place cutting up a MASSIVE hackberry tree that came down in a storm this week. Then Sunday night we had another storm come through our area that brought 85-90 MPH straight line winds and took out the power to my place at 1:30 in the morning Monday. I decided to get the generator started up about 8:00 in the morning so I would loose any of the food in the fridge or the freezer. That's when the excitement started. Not 15 minutes after starting the generator I had smoke coming from the basement. I ran down to see what was going on and found flames coming from the breaker box. My wife got herself and the kids out of the house and called 911. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and got the fire put out but not before it filled the house with smoke. If you know what electrical fires smell like you can imagine what my house now smells like. The fire department showed up along with an ambulance and several county sheriff deputies. The fire department checked the house with their fire camera for anymore hot spots and brought fans in to clear the smoke from the house.

After they gave the "all clear" I called an electrician out to inspect what went wrong. Apparently when the power company switched out my meter several months ago they failed to hook up the ground and common for the generator lead. He made the necessary repairs and we started the generator back up and found all to be good. Power came back on at about 9:00 last night.

Below is the pictures of the progress I did make over the weekend and I also threw in a couple picture of a irrigation circle just to the south of my house that took out the power lines.

I thank God for giving protection to my family and myself and for the first responders that helped us out yesterday. It all could have been much worse. Now I hope to get back to working on my Jeep.

Edited by AKoller - 28 May 2019 at 9:34am
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:41am
PTL Alan that no major damage occurred and y’all are safe!!!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Some Assembly Required”

My Videos
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 9:01am
I have the case cleaned up and ready to go back together. I will get a final cleaning done on all the internals this evening and start going back together. The parts all showed up at the end of last week so i should be good to go now. If all goes well I will have the transmission back together in the next few days. I'm getting down to the point that I'm going to have to cut loose of some money and buy my adapter from Novak.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 9:38am
Well, the wife and kids were out of town for the day so i took advantage of an evening without any distractions. I got all the internal parts cleaned and nearly finished assembling the transmission. As you can see in one of the photos i am using some flat washers as rear bearing retainers until I receive the adapter from Novak. I stuck the cane in the tranny just to check to see if everything is shifting correctly. I will of course remove it when I go to install it in the Jeep.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic